Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reporting landlord to the media

Options
  • 22-08-2017 5:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 26

My landlord is an absolute scumbag. The house I'm living in has no running hot water and no central heating system. The front yeard yard is overgrown with grass. I removed it recently with a shovel and found that underneath it was full of gravel. It makes the place look even worse.
    I also cut the back lawns but unfortunately im not a plumber or an electricition. The carpets are a disgrace and recently he through out an asian couple with one child and and filled their room with three single beds which he plans to rent to students.
    He's not registered with the PRTB. I don't think kicking up a fuss with them will make much of a difference but I'm getting the impression he wants to kick me out and put more single beds in my room.
    I live in Dublin and would like to report him to the media. It's by far the worst property I ever set eyes on.

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I doubt naming and shaming will do anything. Wait unti you get any deposit back at least. There do seem to be quite a few articles about this issue recently, you could take pictures while you are there, and ask are any of them interested.

I don't see anyone doorstopping them, or him appearing on the nightly news, if that's what you're expecting.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

More effective to lodge an RTB case. He would then be financially punished for being in breach of the RTA.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭RunRoryRun

Are you not responsible as tenants for reasonable upkeep of the garden anyway? Has it gone rapidly downhill since you moved in? Moving out an option instead?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Report him to the RTB. It doesn't matter if he's registered or not, they still have jurisdiction.

It also sounds like he's in breach of the minimum standards for rented accommodation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 The Omen II

Maintaining the garden isn't an issue for me. In fact I enjoy it. But rotting window frames and single glaze windows are a matter for the landord. Conditions are made far worse when there's no central heating system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,073 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

RunRoryRun wrote:
    Are you not responsible as tenants for reasonable upkeep of the garden anyway? Has it gone rapidly downhill since you moved in? Moving out an option instead?

Usually it's landlords job to maintain gard unless the lease states otherwise. Somehow I doubt op has a lease

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭RunRoryRun

And what was the condition of the house when you moved in? Windows, heating, rotting etc....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Report him. They will make his life hell. It's the most effective possible punishment.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

OP- is the landlord living in the property?

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭VonBeanie

OP- is the landlord living in the property?

You beat me to it. If the Landlord is living there, the OP is a licensee and not a tenant. If that's the case, there is no tenant protection, no recourse to the RTB, nothing the OP can do expect move somewhere else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

VonBeanie wrote:
    You beat me to it. If the Landlord is living there, the OP is a licensee and not a tenant. If that's the case, there is no tenant protection, no recourse to the RTB, nothing the OP can do expect move somewhere else.

I'm guessing he doesn't live there otherwise there would be running hot water.

Op. Consider looking for a house share somewhere decent. No amount of media attention is going to get him to change.

Document everything , take pics, if the conditions are as bad as you describe, mightn't hurt to send them to your local politician, make them aware of the state of properties for rent in their area.

CC all the local politicians. They usually clamber over one another to help , if they think another one, will do something and get the glory.
    That has been my experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 The Omen II

The landlord doesn't live there of course. I saw the opportunity that the place was a slum when I first moved in. I was planning all along to use that to my advantage. I'm here to save money on rent and to ruin his life.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

The landlord doesn't live there of course. I saw the opportunity that the place was a slum when I first moved in. I was planning all along to use that to my advantage. I'm here to save money on rent and to ruin his life.

And on that delightful note, thread closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement