Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do the newest Roku boxes work in Ireland?

Options
  • 22-08-2017 7:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

(Sorry if this has been answered already, I couldn't find an answer to it here or anywhere else.)

I have recently been looking to get Roku boxes for some TVs I have. I wanted to get one from the newest line of boxes (Express, Premiere, Ultra etc.), and the Premiere+ seemed to be the best for my use case.

However, it seems that the newest line of boxes is only sold in the US (or at least not sold in Ireland).

So my question is this: If I bought a Premiere+ from an American online store, say, Amazon.com, and used one of the various services available to get it to Ireland, would there be any hardware or software issues with it?

I would assume that they would not go to the effort of making the hardware refuse to work outside the US, and I would assume the software would work fine because older Roku boxes are sold in and work in Ireland, but I just wanted to make sure.

Also, I think if I bought a Premiere+ from an American online store and used one of the various services available to get it to Ireland, the power cable it comes with would have an American plug? If it does, what would be the easiest way to get one with an Irish/UK plug?

Thanks for the help in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

First thing to figure out of the power supply supports 220vac, if so then a simple US to UK/Ire adapter is all you need. The other issue is availability of content, you may have to mess around with VPN's or DNS proxy services to get the most out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 IronTempleMan

degsie wrote: »
    First thing to figure out of the power supply supports 220vac, if so then a simple US to UK/Ire adapter is all you need. The other issue is availability of content, you may have to mess around with VPN's or DNS proxy services to get the most out of it.

I don't think availability of content is an issue, there is enough content available through it without a VPN or proxy.

The only possible issue is the Roku system could refuse to work in Ireland because the box is supposed to only be sold in the US. I find that unlikely though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 IronTempleMan

degsie wrote: »
    First thing to figure out of the power supply supports 220vac, if so then a simple US to UK/Ire adapter is all you need.

I would prefer to just power the Roku with a power cable that has a Irish/UK plug instead of using an adaptor. Would that be possible?

And I'm not sure if it support 220vac, I'll have to look into that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

I think the power adapter (PA-1120-42RU) supports 100-240v according to a quick web search.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭ctlsleh

I won a prize and one of the options is a Roku Ultra, but I’m not sure what I get with it in Ireland?

I already have a smart 4K TV with an embedded Netflix, google play and amazon prime app, as well as an Apple TV and Sky.....trying to figure out if I get anything with the ROKU that I done have already.....?

Appreciate any feedback

• Advertisement
Advertisement