Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fair Usage Policy - Is it Combined Upload/Download or Just Download

• 22-08-2017 7:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi folks,

Recently moved back to Ireland from the UK and have initially set up with Eir eFibre "Unlimited". The installation engineer brought me to the attention of the fair usage policy and I'm a little confused, apologies if these have been answered before.

So I now understand that the Eir definition of "Unlimited" is ambiguous at best but what I don't understand is the lack of clarification of the following:

"For all customers on these plans, the Fair Usage Policy is 1TB of data."

Reading a post in the following post from board.ie has me wondering is the data definition of 1TB the total download or combined download and upload amounts of data?

I am a heavy user mainly due to Steam and Xbox Live and here are some examples of why.

My Steam library consists of near 800 games all stored on a multi TB PC that regularly receives patches of multiple GB's daily/weekly. For example Doom recently had a 34GB patch, PUBG has weekly patches of multiple GB's and then we get to the full game installs. I have a dedicated gaming PC and a SFF gaming PC under the TV so these patches could be duplcated between different boxes.

Now you may say why don't I just export my games from one to an external drive and reinstall to another which is an option but could take hours. And also don't forget platforms like the Windows Store where you cannot export and reinstall plus games such as Gears of War 4 (100GB) and Forza Horizon 3 (50GB) would destroy these "unlimited" FUP limiations alone.

All this before Netflix, Amazon Prime, Youtube, game streaming, etc.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭eir: Adam

Hi folks,

Recently moved back to Ireland from the UK and have initially set up with Eir eFibre "Unlimited". The installation engineer brought me to the attention of the fair usage policy and I'm a little confused, apologies if these have been answered before.

So I now understand that the Eir definition of "Unlimited" is ambiguous at best but what I don't understand is the lack of clarification of the following:

"For all customers on these plans, the Fair Usage Policy is 1TB of data."

Reading a post in the following post from board.ie has me wondering is the data definition of 1TB the total download or combined download and upload amounts of data?

I am a heavy user mainly due to Steam and Xbox Live and here are some examples of why.

My Steam library consists of near 800 games all stored on a multi TB PC that regularly receives patches of multiple GB's daily/weekly. For example Doom recently had a 34GB patch, PUBG has weekly patches of multiple GB's and then we get to the full game installs. I have a dedicated gaming PC and a SFF gaming PC under the TV so these patches could be duplcated between different boxes.

Now you may say why don't I just export my games from one to an external drive and reinstall to another which is an option but could take hours. And also don't forget platforms like the Windows Store where you cannot export and reinstall plus games such as Gears of War 4 (100GB) and Forza Horizon 3 (50GB) would destroy these "unlimited" FUP limiations alone.

All this before Netflix, Amazon Prime, Youtube, game streaming, etc.
    Hi grimgriefer, 

Thanks for getting in touch with us. 

The fair usage policy is 1TB and this would include upload and download usage, so both will be included within the fair usage policy. 

Thanks 

Adam 

• Registered Users Posts: 5 grimgriefer

eir: Adam wrote: »
    Hi grimgriefer, 

The fair usage policy is 1TB and this would include upload and download usage, so both will be included within the fair usage policy. 

Thanks 

Adam 
    Thank you for the response. Shame but I guess I have no choice but to leave Eir then so I'll cancel my order this week.

It's a shame the companies policies are so restrictive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭eir: Adam

eir: Adam wrote: »
    Hi grimgriefer, 

Thanks 

Adam 
    Thank you for the response. Shame but I guess I have no choice but to leave Eir then so I'll cancel my order this week.

It's a shame the companies policies are so restrictive.
    You're welcome.

I am very sorry to hear that. 

- Adam

Advertisement