Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can anyone identify this mushroom?

Options
  • 22-08-2017 10:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭

Massive mushroom growing in the front garden. Anyone have an idea what it is? Sort of looks like a giant button mushroom. But hopefully is something more interesting than that.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭macraignil

Looks to me like a type of field mushroom which is related to the cultivated button mushroom.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭blackbox

As above, it's probably a field mushroom that has been damaged by snails/slugs. In order to be sure (before eating), you need to check the gills.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

http://www.wildfooduk.com/mushroom-guides/
    Have a look at the website linked above. I found it to be the most user friendly of the ones available.
    Using it I ate a few varieties of fungi that appeared in a semi woodland/overgrown area of my garden where I dump grass cuttings. I survived with no ill effects:)

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Marzipan85

This is the underside now (it's withering). It was mostly white on underside when it was a few days younger. if it was a field mushroom should it have had grey gills?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭blackbox

When I see the underside I don't think it is a field mushroom. Gills should be greyish pink to brown.

I definitely would not eat that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

Looks like Clitocybe Dealbata in the "Poisonous" section of the Guide referenced above.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Velvet shank

This is probably Amanita strobiliformis - very nice find, not one for the pot though!

Velvet shank - yes I think I agree its a Amanita strobiliformis after googling that. I don't think it was pretty enough to be the Clitocybe dealbata! But yeah, was never planning to take a chance on eating it.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,072 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

This is probably Amanita strobiliformis - very nice find, not one for the pot though!
    I dunno, Wikipedia says "Muscimol (also known as agarin or pantherine) is the principal psychoactive constituent of Amanita muscaria and related species of mushroom. Muscimol is a potent, selective agonist for the GABAA receptors and displays sedative-hypnotic, depressant and dissociative psychoactivity. ".

Sounds like a fun evening.

Is this a liberty cap? Not living in rural/wooded area. but there are a lot of foxes about. would they spread it?

I put in on paper to see if i can get a spore print (is that what you need to do?)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭LaChatteGitane

Coprinus atramentarius. - Common ink cap

Advertisement