Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling in Glen of Aherlow with Kids

Options
  • 22-08-2017 10:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

Heading to the Glen of Aherlow in caravan and wondering whether it is worth bringing the bikes. Is it safe on the roads with children or are there any easy cycle trails/paths in the area. Or should we just stick with a hike/hillwalk??

Comments

Haven't been myself but was researching a few places to visit recently and it was one of them and came across this http://www.aherlow.com/activities/cycling/

Hopefully someone with local knowledge can give more detail.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Lagore

Haven't been myself but was researching a few places to visit recently and it was one of them and came across this http://www.aherlow.com/activities/cycling/

Hopefully someone with local knowledge can give more detail.

Thanks. I saw that when I was looking at the various walks but not much detail....don't want to drag 4 bikes down with caravan and find we can't use them as roads are too narrow/ twisty etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

I have stayed there in the campervan in the Glen of Aherlow Park and did a bit of casual cycling around the area. The road that runs from Bansha all the way to Galbally where the campsites are is fairly quiet and safe. There is a road parallel to this through Roassadrehid which is even quieter and there are side roads linking both roads so its ideal for pleasant safe cycling. Bear in mind that once you go off either of these roads you are going severely uphill as both roads run along the bottom of the valley. The road to Tipperary up by Christ the King statue is lovely but a tough climb.

if you are into walking there are multiple trails in the area which are all well marked and have various degrees of difficulty.

Its a lovely spot...

Edit: Are you staying in Ballinacourty or Glen of Aherlow parks??

Seaswimmer wrote: »

Edit: Are you staying in Ballinacourty or Glen of Aherlow parks??

We are staying in Glen of Aherlow. We have stayed in Ballinacourty as a stopover on way to France the last 2 years and loved it but going to try the other site this time (prefer fully serviced pitches!) for a change and have booked dinner in Ballinacourty for Sunday night. Planning to do a walk on Saturday and drive to Bunratty for the day on Sunday.

Just never looked at the area from the perspective of cycling with the children when we were there for brief stopovers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Glen of Aherlow site is great, very well kept and nice and quite, with great views across the valley weather permitting. How old are the kids?

There's a few quiet lanes and the like around but I thought the road outside the site itself as far as the N24 isn't great as it can be pretty windy (not windy as in the blowy weather term) and like everywhere cars can hug the edges of the road when driving relatively quickly. Again this is all relative depending on the ages and experience of your kids.

There are some great trails right behind the campsite itself up towards the Aherlow House hotel. Some pretty steep and muddy so mountain bikes would be best. I didn't cycle myself but went running up them one evening to explore the area, getting a bit panicky at one stage as the darkness rolled in, being unsure of where exactly I was and not having a torch with me.

• Advertisement

ThisRegard wrote: »

There's a few quiet lanes and the like around but I thought the road outside the site itself as far as the N24 isn't great as it can be pretty windy (not windy as in the blowy weather term) and like everywhere cars can hug the edges of the road when driving relatively quickly. Again this is all relative depending on the ages and experience of your kids.

Thanks for that....the children are 10 & 11 but not overly confident cycling in traffic. We usually take them to Phoenix park as there are no cycle paths in Dunshaughlin where we are. I think we may leave the bikes behind this time and stick to a good hill walk on Saturday which they enjoy doing. Only staying 3 nights so don't want to bring bikes and then not use them!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭shawnee

Lagore wrote: »
    Thanks for that....the children are 10 & 11 but not overly confident cycling in traffic. We usually take them to Phoenix park as there are no cycle paths in Dunshaughlin where we are. I think we may leave the bikes behind this time and stick to a good hill walk on Saturday which they enjoy doing. Only staying 3 nights so don't want to bring bikes and then not use them!;)

It's indeed a lovely location and site but roads are certainly not suitable for 10 and 11 year olds who are not used to country lanes and traffic. Great walks around there and quite safe forestry treks.

Advertisement