Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on Chain/Cassette/Crankset

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭lizzylad84

Why not go 10 speed and use a compact

• Registered Users Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭karlitob

lizzylad84 wrote: »
    Why not go 10 speed and use a compact

Thanks for reply.

Two reasons:
    i) I don't know why that might be better than what I have
    ii) Shifter on the left has three spots, shifter on right has 9 - i thought i'd have to keep it the same. Or at least - I'd nee more knowledge that what I have.

I only use the middle front chainring. If I'm downhill I'll use the larger one though not often.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

To change to a double compact, you'll need a new right hand shifter. The left shifter will work with a double chainset ( just adjust the limit screws so it doesn't change onto the 3rd (smallest) chainring)

07Lapierre wrote: »
    To change to a double compact, you'll need a new right hand shifter. The left shifter will work with a double chainset ( just adjust the limit screws so it doesn't change onto the 3rd (smallest) chainring)

Thanks. All sounds a bit too much for me.

Otherwise am I on the right track with the above products - will they fit the bike. Is it worth upgrading the quality for a commuter or just change them more regularly.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

karlitob wrote: »
    Thanks. All sounds a bit too much for me.

Otherwise am I on the right track with the above products - will they fit the bike. Is it worth upgrading the quality for a commuter or just change them more regularly.

Crankset you've linked is 6/7/8 speed, you're running 9 speed so there is a possibility that the chain will be too narrow and wont work. For a new crankset you also need to make sure you've a compatible bottom bracket, or change your bottom bracket e.g. most likely square taper but may not be. For a cheap 9 speed crankset on that site you could go with the Altus but it is very low geared for a commuter at 40/30/22, on a tight budget I'd tend to go with the Alivio with 48/36/26. Chain and cassette should be fine. Personally, if you're doing this level of a swap out, I'd also change the BB and replace all the cables. If you're doing the work yourself you'll need a cassette tool, a chain whip and crank puller along with the usual spanners, patience and a few emergency cans of beer.

• Advertisement

Brilliant - thanks for that.
    smacl wrote: »
    Crankset you've linked is 6/7/8 speed,
    This is the crankset that is currently on it - should I stick with this or take the other suggestions you made? It might avoid needing a different BB.
    you're running 9 speed so there is a possibility that the chain will be too narrow and wont work
    Again, this is what is currently on the bike so was thinking of just direct swap.
    Do you reckon a 10 speed chain? Not sure what type of chain is on the bike.

Personally, if you're doing this level of a swap out, I'd also change the BB and replace all the cables.
    Planning to swap out all the cables also.
    If you're doing the work yourself you'll need a cassette tool, a chain whip and crank puller along with the usual spanners
    Will invest in a set of tools.
    patience and a few emergency cans of beer
    Best advice on boards ever!

Really appreciate the help with this - there's a lot of diff component types out there. Can be hard to determine the different levels of quality within Shimano eg Acera, Alivio, Altura etc.

Advertisement