Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Substitute exercises for compound lifts

• 23-08-2017 1:25am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 57 ✭✭

I haven't been able to go to the gym for a specific reason and it's been a couple of weeks now and I still have another 3 weeks until I'll be able to go back to the gym and I miss that feeling of finishing a gym workout and getting bigger and stronger by the day. I only have 45kg(100lbs) worth of plates at home and was wondering if I could progressively overload by doing pistol squats with weights in my hands, and if this would be a good substitute for the traditional front squat, I also was wondering if there are any substitutes for the deadlift and for the bench and for overhead press that are more difficult to do and require less weight, any useful would be highly appreciated, thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

I haven't been able to go to the gym for a specific reason and it's been a couple of weeks now and I still have another 3 weeks until I'll be able to go back to the gym and I miss that feeling of finishing a gym workout and getting bigger and stronger by the day. I only have 45kg(100lbs) worth of plates at home and was wondering if I could progressively overload by doing pistol squats with weights in my hands, and if this would be a good substitute for the traditional front squat, I also was wondering if there are any substitutes for the deadlift and for the bench and for overhead press that are more difficult to do and require less weight, any useful would be highly appreciated, thanks
    instead of squats - step ups, lunges, split squats

Instead of bench press - dips and push ups (put some weights into a back pack to add load on the movements)

Instead of Deadlift - single leg deadlift and leg curls on glider or towel like this - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrEFhurzioE

Instead of overhead press - use dumbbells and do a push press, seated press or z press (all can be done with a barbell also)

Hope this helps

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement