Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Normal Squat V Jump Squats

• 23-08-2017 9:27am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭

Hi

I have been doing normal squats for over a year now and go from 60-100 KG. (nothing special but there ya go)
    When I say normal squats, I mean load up a barbell, place it on my traps and squat down as low as I can etc.

for the last month or so, I have been doing body weight jump squats i.e no weights at all.

I find the body weight jump squats to be very good, my legs feel stronger after doing these and it seems to work me more, I feel more tired after them.

I know the barbell squat is one of the core exercises and everyone harps on about it.

What do people think of the standard barbell squat V body weight jump squats?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,657 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Depends what you want to train for.

Jump squats can be a useful accessory, in some instances, but not a replacement for weighted squats because they're highly unlikely to make you stronger than weighted squats

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

its a useful addition to a training program but all training programs should have some power elements to it.

Heres a few ideas here that might be worth incorporating into a program but they really should be there already if its a well structured program (as should deadlifts, lunges, step ups, pull ups, dips, core work, focused mobility etc) -

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭from_atozinc

Thanks for replies.
    In regard to the bodyweight jump squats -- >> when you squat down, how low should you go, I see some guidelines say just go with your thighs parallel to the ground.

or should they be done in the format of a barbell squat, where you do the "ass to the grass" scenario?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

Thanks for replies.
    In regard to the bodyweight jump squats -- >> when you squat down, how low should you go, I see some guidelines say just go with your thighs parallel to the ground.

or should they be done in the format of a barbell squat, where you do the "ass to the grass" scenario?
    Try both, variability is important but not as important as intent when it comes to developing power

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

All I can think of from this exercise is 'RIP my knees'...

I think they're a decent accessory at the end, just like people like doing jumps and stuff at the end. I've seen some weightlifters do them with very light weight for a few sets at the beginning and end of a session in some videos, but tbh there's nothing better than front, back or overhead squats imo, so they should never replace them.

• Advertisement

All I can think of from this exercise is 'RIP my knees'...

I think they're a decent accessory at the end, just like people like doing jumps and stuff at the end. I've seen some weightlifters do them with very light weight for a few sets at the beginning and end of a session in some videos, but tbh there's nothing better than front, back or overhead squats imo, so they should never replace them.

Thanks. understood. I find weighted squats hard enough on my knees too though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Weighted jump squats as an accessory is great and an absolute killer.

I can imagine, sounds very hard

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Reps4jesus

I agree with this. I think weighted jump squats are great. i alternate between a barbell and trap bar for these and defo think they improve my power for squats

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,657 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Reps4jesus wrote: »
    I agree with this. I think weighted jump squats are great. i alternate between a barbell and trap bar for these and defo think they improve my power for squats

Makes sense. Since I've just tried driving out of the hole on squats as if I wanted to do a jump squat, it's helped with power.

There was a bee-bawl team training last night doing squat jumps with a trap bar, as it happens.

• Advertisement

I just use a kettle bell. Don't have to worry about bar position or stability etc.

I just use a kettle bell. Don't have to worry about bar position or stability etc.

Where do you hold the kettle bell. Just one at chest height. Or one in each hand.

Where do you hold the kettle bell. Just one at chest height. Or one in each hand.

As though you're getting ready for a swing.

Advertisement