Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grant Lee Philips

Options
  • 23-08-2017 9:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭

I was thinking of going to Grant Lee Philips gig tonight. I would consider myself a “very much on the fringe” fan. I like his stuff but for some reason, he just passed me by in my music listening career. Was into Fuzzy and Mighty Joe Moon back in his GL Buffalo days. Could listen to Honey Don’t think forever. I got The Narrows last year, cause I was going to go to his last Whelans gig but didn’t go. I was listening to the album last night, and it’s really good.

Anyway question is, for anyone that is more familiar with him on the live circuit, would it be worth going tonight. Does he play any old Buffalo stuff. I googled but couldn’t see any updated gigs on Setlist.com. And couldn’t see any reviews of recent live gigs.

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,619 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

I was thinking of going to Grant Lee Philips gig tonight. I would consider myself a “very much on the fringe” fan. I like his stuff but for some reason, he just passed me by in my music listening career. Was into Fuzzy and Mighty Joe Moon back in his GL Buffalo days. Could listen to Honey Don’t think forever. I got The Narrows last year, cause I was going to go to his last Whelans gig but didn’t go. I was listening to the album last night, and it’s really good.

Anyway question is, for anyone that is more familiar with him on the live circuit, would it be worth going tonight. Does he play any old Buffalo stuff. I googled but couldn’t see any updated gigs on Setlist.com. And couldn’t see any reviews of recent live gigs.

ive seen him 3 times before, and im going tonight as well.

ive seen him with GLB (2011), solo and with a pianist. Ever gig has been memorable.

the one thing i will say is that he is always absolutely pitch perfect, hes an exceptional singer... bat **** mental , but great craic.

as you would expect there will be a good few "narrows" songs, and some previous solo stuff... but he does quite a good number of GLB songs too..

for example heres a setlist from a gig he did in february this year

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/grantlee-phillips/2017/ekko-utrecht-netherlands-53f8435d.html

Walking in the Green Corn

Tennessee Rain

Smoke and Sparks

Holy Irons

Wish I Knew

Mona Lisa

Mighty Joe Moon
    (Grant Lee Buffalo song)

Honey Don't Think
    (Grant Lee Buffalo song)

The Hook
    (Grant Lee Buffalo song)

Jupiter and Teardrop
    (Grant Lee Buffalo song)

Cry Cry

San Andreas Fault

Fuzzy
    (Grant Lee Buffalo song)

Demon Called Deception
    (Grant Lee Buffalo song)

The Shallow End

Buried Treasure

Mobilize

It Ain't the Same Old Cold War Harry

Encore:
    See America

Mockingbirds
    (Grant Lee Buffalo song)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Great stuff. Thanks for that. Will definitely go. I’d know more than half those tunes. Well worth €26 – decent night of entertainment.

well flasher?? did you go??

it was a great gig imo... started off slowly with the new songs but they sounded great... very much along his troubadour style of his solo albums.

half new songs, half GLB and covers.

i think from memory the set list was something like this:

It Ain't the Same Old Cold War Harry
    Walking in the Green Corn
    Tennessee Rain
    Smoke and Sparks
    Mona Lisa

Mighty Joe Moon
    Honey Don't Think
    Stars and stripes
    Fuzzy
    Jupiter and Teardrop

Hickory Wind (with Dean owens)
    Rambling man (with Dean owens)
    Holy Irons
    See America

Mockingbirds (with Dean owens)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Ya. Went along. About an hour after I bought a tickets, I saw they were going for free on Toutless. Anyway, them’s the breaks.

I enjoyed it very much. I was familiar with all the songs – knew some more than others. Love Smoke and Sparks, and Mona Lisa. Would have like if Cry Cry was part of it too. Nice to hear the GLB tunes, but I felt they are not nearly as powerful as the band/album versions. I loved the banter. Makes for more of a show. He seems a bit cracked. And the duets with the other guy were cool, especially Rambling man. I’m pretty sure Loaded Gun was in there somewhere too.

Ya. Went along. About an hour after I bought a tickets, I saw they were going for free on Toutless. Anyway, them’s the breaks.

I enjoyed it very much. I was familiar with all the songs – knew some more than others. Love Smoke and Sparks, and Mona Lisa. Would have like if Cry Cry was part of it too. Nice to hear the GLB tunes, but I felt they are not nearly as powerful as the band/album versions. I loved the banter. Makes for more of a show. He seems a bit cracked. And the duets with the other guy were cool, especially Rambling man. I’m pretty sure Loaded Gun was in there somewhere too.

yeah hes as mad as a bag of cats... always good banter at his shows.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,321 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Caught him in Cyprus Avenue the night after his sell out gig in Whelan's, only about 60 in Cork.

Great stuff all the same. He popped out to watch the support and my mate being a big fan wanted him to sign something. Having nothing on us at all (digital tickets) I spotted a lovely poster for the gig on the wall and...yoink!

Personalised signed gig poster, going in a frame :cool:

Nice one! He's such a dead on lad.
    Did he do the "washed rooster" joke?

Whelans had only about 80ish I'd say at best.

Advertisement