Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best way to learn how to lift weights?

• 23-08-2017 11:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi Guys,

Can you recommend the best way to learn how to lift weights? Would I better off taking a fitness trainer course to gain this knowledge and if so where do i go?

Or is there a definitive resource. online guide,app or course that will ensure I am learning correctly from the start?

I would like to get to stage where I can design my own program and know what machine to use in order to build up a certain body part e.g. triceps, back, legs etc and how to do it/how not to do it etc

Thanks for your help.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,672 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

I'd recommend seeking a decent personal trainer for at least a few sessions first. They will be able to identify any glaring weaknesses or mobility issues and address these before moving onto anything heavy. And then, they will show you correct form.

A PT is not required though. The internet is full of resources for you to get started yourself and you can record yourself performing lifts to self analyze. However, considering the sheer amount of effort required to do this, along with the high possibility of doing things wrong without even knowing, a PT will make it far easier. It's up to you though.

Let us know where you are so we can give recommendations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

Poppledop wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

Can you recommend the best way to learn how to lift weights? Would I better off taking a fitness trainer course to gain this knowledge and if so where do i go?

Or is there a definitive resource. online guide,app or course that will ensure I am learning correctly from the start?

I would like to get to stage where I can design my own program and know what machine to use in order to build up a certain body part e.g. triceps, back, legs etc and how to do it/how not to do it etc

Thanks for your help.
    100% do not do a course, post up where you live and go work with whom ever is recommended

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

In the meantime stretch your shoulders, hips and hamstrings a lot. Unless you're pretty flexible, your Shoulders are likely to be too tight to press properly. Hips and hamstrings need to be pretty flexible to squat deep; be easier to keep good form with deadlifts too if you can reach the bottom easily.

Advertisement