Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using plc grades and leaving cert grades for applying in college?

Options
  • 23-08-2017 12:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I'm going to do a plc course of engineering and was wondering if I can apply to colleges with my plc grades and my leaving cert grades?

And how to apply to colleges with my plc grades? Do I use cao?I'm new to this all and just want to know the basics of applying and being accepted?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

I'm going to do a plc course of engineering and was wondering if I can apply to colleges with my plc grades and my leaving cert grades?

And how to apply to colleges with my plc grades? Do I use cao?I'm new to this all and just want to know the basics of applying and being accepted?

Only one or the other will be taken into account, not both.

That said, I'd you use your plc to apply for a place you'll do a . interview, during that interview you could present your grades for both the place and leaving cert if you thought it might help your application.

If you're doing a plc course with a direct link to a level 7/8 degree in a third level institute your leaving certificate will be irrelevant to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Failureinlife

Only one or the other will be taken into account, not both.

That said, I'd you use your plc to apply for a place you'll do a . interview, during that interview you could present your grades for both the place and leaving cert if you thought it might help your application.

If you're doing a plc course with a direct link to a level 7/8 degree in a third level institute your leaving certificate will be irrelevant to be honest.

When you say a plc course with a direct link to level 8 degree, do you mean that if i can pass the plc with top grades i'll get into the degree?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

It depends on the PLC. Usually they will state what links they have to each course. For Level 8 degrees there may be a specific Maths module requirement that must be achieved.
    Your PLC college will be able to tell you what is possible with the PLC you intend to take.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Yes, you use the CAO, just like this year. With a PLC, you will be taking the FET route - Click here.

Remember to provide your LC number from this year under Previous Examinations Taken when completing your application. While Marcos is correct that only one or the other will be taken into account, not both or a mix, if you qualify by EITHER route you will get your place, provided ofc that you have provided them with the information necessary to check both.

Most applications through the FET route don't require you to do an interview, though some do, and that can depend a lot on the course / college.

BE CERTAIN that the PLC you do has a route to the course(s) you want. Course pages on college websites will normally tell you if specific FET/FETAC Level 5/6 awards are required for entry to that course, and Qualifax is pretty good on that too.

All courses will require you to have completed a full award, and some will specify the level you need to obtain e.g. "three distinctions".

Be aware however that these are Minimum Requirements. Colleges hold a certain number of places on (most) courses for FET applicants, and these are assigned on a competitive basis just as with LC points, so the better you do on your PLC, the better chance you have of getting a place.

Advertisement