Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do parents go to college induction days?

Options
  • 23-08-2017 12:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

My eldest daughter has accepted her first place choice in UCD.

She doesn't know anyone else going there. Just wondering does she go on her own to the induction day? It's a bit daunting, even though she is over the moon to be heading up.

What is the norm? Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Go on her own, she'll get to know people better than having the crutch of a parent with her. Most will be in the same boat.

You could come to the city with her but let her go into the college herself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Neon_Lights

Shed look so uncool if you went, all id advise her to do is to muck in. There's loads of activities generally, and so what she may get involved, just chat, there's loads of people in the same situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Maggiemoo2

That was my gut feeling alright.

Thanks very much. Exciting times ahead

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Please, please don't go. I could relate more than one story where parents were mistaken for mature students, leading to all manner of hilarity (what do you mean you haven't got your student card yet? Get down there and get it immediately)

It is daunting, but she will quickly find others in the same boat. It's time for her to spread her wings and find her own feet. She can't do that if she is tied to the apron strings.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭michaelp97

You don't go to the induction day, if she's living on campus you drop them off help them with their bags, get student card printed off from the residence tent usually in merville accomdation. Then help them with their bags to the accommodation and say goodbyes! Usual thing is get introduced to the housemates and see if you can get along with these people. Then induction day is you go around in groups of other students with a mentor ( older student ) doing a tour of the campus, its best way to start talking to people and who knows they become friends, I ended up going for lunch with two in my group and I'm now living with them off campus! But general norm is to say goodbye to the rents once you get into your accommodation, its part of being independent that they have to do things themselves

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭bmwguy

I used to do accounts with a student accommodation services company and start of year was hectic hundreds moving in over a few days. I was taking first semester payment from an overbearing mother who then told me she would be staying with her son for the first 2 weeks to help him settle in and make sure it was safe. This was a shared apartment with 3 others students. I didn't care I was just in financial end of it but I told her to talk to accommodation officer. But felt sorry for the young lad.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Maggiemoo2

Thanks very much, appreciate it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭SouthernBelle

bmwguy wrote: »
    I used to do accounts with a student accommodation services company and start of year was hectic hundreds moving in over a few days. I was taking first semester payment from an overbearing mother who then told me she would be staying with her son for the first 2 weeks to help him settle in and make sure it was safe. This was a shared apartment with 3 others students. I didn't care I was just in financial end of it but I told her to talk to accommodation officer. But felt sorry for the young lad.

OH.MY.GOD!! :eek:

Advertisement