Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Listen, I love the goose and all, but Outer Wilds is the kinda game that floats around ‘game of the decade’ territory

*HONK* Sorry I *HONK* can't hear you *HONK* over the sound *HONK* of Breath of the Wild...

...Honk?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Star Lord wrote: »
    *HONK* Sorry I *HONK* can't hear you *HONK* over the sound *HONK* of Breath of the Wild...

...Honk?

Ah same could be said about the Witcher 3, the only way to quantify "the best" is vote really (which is bull****) and im pretty sure a lot more have played the witcher 3 than BOTW..

So whos to really know? :P

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,411 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Lots of games in that conversation - from Breath of the Wild to Bloodborne, Obra Dinn to Kentucky Route Zero. Hey, a lot of games I’m not even personally big on - Minecraft etc... - are in there too.

All that’s just to emphasise that Outer Wilds is outrageously spectacular.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

Played a lot of AC6 great game once you stop listening to the dialogue.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭hellsing101

Will there be a GOTY poll here or a prelim where we all suggest games as contenders?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,811 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Will there be a GOTY poll here or a prelim where we all suggest games as contenders?

If Mr. E decides to graciously hold a Boards GOTY awards again this year, that's where it'll be.

https://touch.boards.ie/forum/499

• Registered Users Posts: 29,038 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

For me it's between Mario Maker 2, Untitled Goose Game, Link's Awakening or Luigi's Mansion 3.
    Think they're the only recent releases I've played. So looks like I won't be voting

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

Very impressive that POE stream, they announced POE 2 (patch 4.0.0) loads of new content over the next few months. Engine changes rolling up to poe2 / 4.0 (next year) 7 acts with more added, it will to be a new part to the game all purchases will still work, it is set 20 years after the last act, 19 ascendancy classes, skill gems no longer linked to weapons but the gems themselves. Also announced poe mobile (joking they wanted to announce last year).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,282 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Found the triple A space especially poor this year but the indie scene and smaller projects along with Nintendo more than made up for it and made this a spectacular year for games.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,411 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I dunno... obviously differs from person to person (I thought DMC5 was fairly uninspiring, for example) but I was pretty happy with quite a few bigger tiles this year: Control, Death Stranding, Apex Legends, Resi 2 and Sekiro were all good to great, not to mention Nintendo. Most of my favourite games were still indies, but felt there were developers doing interesting and successful things on a larger scale. Perhaps more than usual, if anything - you wouldn’t get a single game quite as strange as Control and Death Stranding most years, let alone two of them in relatively quick succession.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,282 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

In my defence I'm waitin on pc version of death stranding and not played control.

As for Sekiro, I need to get back to it. Release day conincided with a nasty collarbone injury and when that healed I'd kind of forgotten about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

How is the switch doing sales wise anyway? More then Xbox?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,967 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

RasTa wrote: »
    How is the switch doing sales wise anyway? More then Xbox?

If you were to check it now, yes, the Switch has sold more, but MS stopped reporting the sales of their consoles at the end of 2018 so...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,790 ✭✭✭Greyfox

I reckon this year wasn't as good as 2018 or 2017 some really good games this year though and Resi 2 remake was the best by far

• Registered Users Posts: 29,038 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

So now we technically have the next Half Life coming, what big games are remaining on the list of vaporware?

Yes, I know it's not Half Life 3/Episode 3

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

Beyond Good and Evil 2 comes to mind, still not happened. Last thing I saw was a vague overly ambitious galaxy-spanning game. Which also wasn't a sequel.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,326 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

No One Lives Forever; maybe not a sequel but getting the series out of the licensing limbo / hell it's trapped in, and give it the HD polish (maybe rework the awful first level in game 1).

I love that first game, I'd honestly put it up there with Deus Ex as a pinnacle of the genre (adventure FPS, as it were)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

pixelburp wrote: »
    No One Lives Forever; maybe not a sequel but getting the series out of the licensing limbo / hell it's trapped in, and give it the HD polish (maybe rework the awful first level in game 1).

I love that first game, I'd honestly put it up there with Deus Ex as a pinnacle of the genre (adventure FPS, as it were)

No One Lives Forever was amazing and it had stuff in it that I'd never witnessed in an FPS before. That plane level was something else. It was one of those games that you were unhappy once you finished it, it was that good.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,326 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Mr Freeze wrote: »
    No One Lives Forever was amazing and it had stuff in it that I'd never witnessed in an FPS before. That plane level was something else. It was one of those games that you were unhappy once you finished it, it was that good.

I think the sequel wasn't quite as good, but only because the original pretty much threw every conceivable set-piece you could want from a Spy game; in comparison NOLF2 came off quite tame! As you say, the plane sequence was just fantastic. Man, that whole game was just so inventive, always throwing in new little variants and sequences.

There was talk of NighDive doing their thing & remastering, but fell into licence hell: https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2017/07/05/no-one-will-sell-no-one-lives-forever-so-lets-download-it/

TL:DR? Basically nobody outright owns NOLF, but no party is willing to give up their part of the license either.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

pixelburp wrote: »
    I think the sequel wasn't quite as good...

I never played it, only played the first one.

Like you said, what could the 2nd game offer since the first one literally had everything from scuba diving levels to levels in space.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭Homelander

I bought 3 games from Gamestop online as they had a 3 for 2 promotion. Games arrive, two sealed copies and one empty box...I email them explaining and with pictures. They apologise and send me a replacement....it arrives and it's the wrong game. I send them an email again with more pictures, literally explaining I am missing a certain game several times.....get an email saying "Very sorry for the mix up, we are sending you a replacement copy of X this afternoon".

X is still the wrong game. Starting to feel like it's a weird joke now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭KilOit

Homelander wrote: »
    I bought 3 games from Gamestop online as they had a 3 for 2 promotion. Games arrive, two sealed copies and one empty box...I email them explaining and with pictures. They apologise and send me a replacement....it arrives and it's the wrong game. I send them an email again with more pictures, literally explaining I am missing a certain game several times.....get an email saying "Very sorry for the mix up, we are sending you a replacement copy of X this afternoon".

X is still the wrong game. Starting to feel like it's a weird joke now.

Staff are stealing them and putting in different discs

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭Homelander

I don't think so, the initial missing game was just an empty display case, genuine mistake probably, but the replacement was the wrong game altogether, still sealed. And in the latest email, they apologised for all the mix up, said I could keep the wrong game and they'd sent out X game immediately....which is STILL not the game that was missing from the order.

Looks now like I will end up with 2 copies of one game, and 2 of another, instead of 3 separate games. I could understand one error, but 3 in a row over such a simple problem is just a bit much...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

Homelander wrote: »
    I don't think so, the initial missing game was just an empty display case, genuine mistake probably, but the replacement was the wrong game altogether, still sealed. And in the latest email, they apologised for all the mix up, said I could keep the wrong game and they'd sent out X game immediately....which is STILL not the game that was missing from the order.

Looks now like I will end up with 2 copies of one game, and 2 of another, instead of 3 separate games. I could understand one error, but 3 in a row over such a simple problem is just a bit much...

Trade in the duplicate sealed game with them against the missing game.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

New Tony Hawks game supposedly coming out if it is anything like Pro Skater 5 that came out on PS4 and Xbox One it was trash, absolute garbage. No voice acting or anything.

I have fond memory's of playing Tony hawks pro Skater 4 game on my brothers Gamecube and thought it was brilliant. We bought Underground and Underground 2 when they were released also.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,163 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

THPS3 was my favourite. Sunk countless hours into it. Godly soundtrack.

I think I'm one of the few that never got into skating games. BMX XXX was about the furthest I got into those types of games!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I think I'm one of the few that never got into skating games. BMX XXX was about the furthest I got into those types of games!

You missed out at the time. I don't know if they hold up now game wise but for the time they were brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,163 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

You missed out at the time. I don't know if they hold up now game wise but for the time they were brilliant.

I think they would hold up. Obviously it's been ages since I played them but the one thing that sticks out is just how smooth they were to play.

• Advertisement

I dunno, I was never into skateboarding, so it never really appealed to me. Quite hard to use a skateboard on grass, and being brought up in the country I suppose the whole skaterboi stuff passed me by. I think, similar to NFL, NHL & NBA games, you need to be into it to really enjoy it, due to the amount of rules and plays, etc each game requires you to know, so I've no idea what an olly or all those other weird names for skating moves.

Advertisement