Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Saruhashi wrote: »
    Ah but you see it's portable and some folks just don't want a portable console. They'll never tire of telling you how much they don't give a damn about portability.

Why can't Nintendo just make an exact copy of the PS4 with no features that distinguish it from the other video game options?

Also it costs money and if you want to buy extra things they costs money too!

Meh, he obviously has good reasons for why it's not a console he wants. He's clearly in the minority as most people love it. Doesn't really appeal to me much either but I can appreciate that its not a sentiment most people share.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

Are you serious here?

As a Wii U owner, he's spot on. Unless you count Splatoon 2 which is essentially just a mild upgrade to Splatoon.

Mario is for sure the first blockbuster for anyone who owned a Wii U(not many :D )

I don't think you should count games that were already on other consoles(Zelda, MK 8).

Kiith wrote: »
    To be fair, some people have no interest in their console being portable. I never did, though i'll admit i really enjoyed the portability when i had the Switch.

Saying Mario is the only blockbuster is just wrong though.

Portability is pretty redundant to me as I would get little to no use out of it - I drive an hour to and from work everyday and I'm generally being taxi kids for a lot of the weekend. If I'm playing on the couch I tend not to want to be staring at a small screen when I'm playing - I do enough of that with my phone tbh - I'd rather play on the big screen.

• Portability is pretty redundant to me as I would get little to no use out of it - I drive an hour to and from work everyday and I'm generally being taxi kids for a lot of the weekend. If I'm playing on the couch I tend not to want to be staring at a small screen when I'm playing - I do enough of that with my phone tbh - I'd rather play on the big screen.

But you can :pac:
    It's a Hybrid lads

• Registered Users Posts: 28,087 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Are you serious here?

I assumed he's not counting Zelda because it was available on WiiU?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭earthwormjack

Splatoon 2 is more than just a mild upgrade, it's a full blown sequel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Saruhashi

Portability is pretty redundant to me as I would get little to no use out of it - I drive an hour to and from work everyday and I'm generally being taxi kids for a lot of the weekend. If I'm playing on the couch I tend not to want to be staring at a small screen when I'm playing - I do enough of that with my phone tbh - I'd rather play on the big screen.

Isn't one of the main selling points of the Switch that you can do both?

So you could play on the big screen or on the go because the console allows both.

I get the argument that the console may have some features that some people don't want and might be lacking features that some people do want but it kind of feels like Nintendo are put in a "damned if they do, damned if they don't" situation here.

I definitely appreciate the portable aspect of the Switch but at the same time I am not complaining that I can't play the PS4 on the go.

Maybe I should. Imagine paying 400 Euro for a PS4 pro and you can't even play it on your daily commute or take it on a flight? I paid 400 euro for this console but when the wife wants to watch TV I have to turn it off! :(

It seems that Nintendo are criticized not only for what their console can't do but also for what it can do. Would it really be a good idea for them to release what would basically be a PS4 (minus the PS4 exclusive games) with a Nintendo logo slapped on the front?

• Are you forgetting the following? These are big titles.
    Suggest doing some research first.

Arms has already sold 2 Million copies and that's not even a current figure and was only launched mid June.
    Splatoon 2 has sold 1.2 Million copies to date and is only out since the end of July.
    Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle is the best-selling Nintendo Switch game not to have been published by Nintendo.
    Zelda: Dated July 2017, total sales of the Switch version is nearly 4 million.

Here's only a few select big titles to come:

Zenoblade Chronicles 2
    Mario Odyssey
    Doom
    Skyrim
    Sonic Forces

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    But you can :pac:
    It's a Hybrid lads

I do know that, I'm just saying why the portability part of it is not something that has any great appeal for me.

Are you forgetting the following? These are big titles.

Arms has already sold 2 Million copies and that's not even a current figure and was only launched mid June.
    Splatoon 2 has sold 1.2 Million copies to date and is only out since the end of July.
    Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle is the best-selling Nintendo Switch game not to have been published by Nintendo.

Ah, but it's not a true scotsman blockbuster game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Sieghardt

I just want a port of Bayonetta 2 so I can entirely forget Wii U exists forever

Isn't one of the main selling points of the Switch that you can do both?

So you could play on the big screen or on the go because the console allows both.

I get the argument that the console may have some features that some people don't want and might be lacking features that some people do want but it kind of feels like Nintendo are put in a "damned if they do, damned if they don't" situation here.

I definitely appreciate the portable aspect of the Switch but at the same time I am not complaining that I can't play the PS4 on the go.

Maybe I should. Imagine paying 400 Euro for a PS4 pro and you can't even play it on your daily commute or take it on a flight? I paid 400 euro for this console but when the wife wants to watch TV I have to turn it off! :(

It seems that Nintendo are criticized not only for what their console can't do but also for what it can do. Would it really be a good idea for them to release what would basically be a PS4 (minus the PS4 exclusive games) with a Nintendo logo slapped on the front?

I'm not criticizing it for being portable, I'm just saying it's not a feature that I'd personally get much benefit from. Seriously, stop being so defensive about it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,387 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Why can't Nintendo just make an exact copy of the PS4 with no features that distinguish it from the other video game options?

Nintendo tried that before with the Gamecube. Massively ore powerful than the PS2 and it outstripped the Xbox in many areas. Didn't exactly work out. All their success has been in consoles where they haven't competed with Microsoft and Sony.

They also tried to compete with the WiiU which was late to the party, another disaster.

Why would you buy a Nintendo machine that does the same as the xbox and PS4 when you own one already?

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Nintendo tried that before with the Gamecube. Massively ore powerful than the PS2 and it outstripped the Xbox in many areas. Didn't exactly work out. All their success has been in consoles where they haven't competed with Microsoft and Sony.

They also tried to compete with the WiiU which was late to the party, another disaster.

Why would you buy a Nintendo machine that does the same as the xbox and PS4 when you own one already?

I believe he was being sarcastic…

• I do know that, I'm just saying why the portability part of it is not something that has any great appeal for me.

In theory you never have to bring it with you anywhere.
    Leave it in the dock.

The portability may not appeal to you but because both options are present it shouldn't be a negative factor.

Are you forgetting the following? These are big titles.

It depends what your definition of blockbuster title is. Like a title that is exclusive to that platform, that will get people to buy the console, and be remembered as a must buy and classic, that'd be my definition.

Arms is not that. Sure many bought it, but I'd argue that the vast majority owned a Switch anyway so picked it up. Only heard average to poor things from those I know who picked it up.

Splatoon 2 is closer, but again I don't count it as blockbuster.

Mario + Rabbids, come on! Cute, well received. Blockbuster?! Hell no.

Zelda for sure, IF it hadn't been a Wii U game.

Mario is for sure the first.

• It depends what your definition of blockbuster title is. Like a title that is exclusive to that platform, that will get people to buy the console, and be remembered as a must buy and classic, that'd be my definition.

Arms is not that. Sure many bought it, but I'd argue that the vast majority owned a Switch anyway so picked it up. Only heard average to poor things from those I know who picked it up.

Splatoon 2 is closer, but again I don't count it as blockbuster.

Mario + Rabbids, come on! Cute, well received. Blockbuster?! Hell no.

Zelda for sure, IF it hadn't been a Wii U game.

Mario is for sure the first.

Definition of a Blockbuster:
    Thing of great power or size, in particular a film, book, or other product that is a great commercial success.

We have already discussed sales which are a success.

Arms Currently holds 7.7 Metacritic score and 7.9 Userscore. Minority don't like it. Majority do.
    Mario & Rabbids Has a Metacritic score of 85 and a Userscore of 8.7. Minority don't like it. Majority do.
    Splattoon 2 Has a Metacritic score of 83 and a Userscore of 8.4. Minority don't like it. Majority do.

As for Zelda, it's between that and Mario for game of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,358 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

emmetkenny wrote: »
    I assumed he's not counting Zelda because it was available on WiiU?

I don't count it and many, many others. It's a Wii U port like so many other games on Switch. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Rayman Legends, Shovel Knight, Pokken Tournament, Lego City Undercover. Shantae, Little Inferno, Minecraft and so it goes on. Even look at some of the upcoming games from the little 3rd party support there is. Doom and Skyrim are old ports.

A lot of the developers haven't really backed the Switch. EA have only given us a watered down FIFA.

Capcom, a years old XBOX360 port of Street Fighter 2 with a tacked on piece of garbage first person mode. And ports of Revelations 1&2, but even that is gimped by having the second game as digital only. Again, that goes back to limited and expensive cartridge sizes. They're not giving us Monster Hunter: World or any of their other big franchises. I think they'll eventually announce a Western translation of XX, like they're some sort of hero.

Ubisoft, did you see their E3? It was phenomenal, we're getting F all from them. Garbage like Just Dance or smaller games like Uno or Monopoly. In addition to a couple of the ports listed above. Sure there was Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle but that's a collaboration. Where's their big games? Oh ya, they've Steep which they're struggling with porting to Switch. It's already a year old on other platforms where it's now half price but it'll be full price on Switch I'm sure if it ever sees the light of day. And so you could go on talking about many other 3rd party developers.

• Bethesda, cough cough

In theory you never have to bring it with you anywhere.
    Leave it in the dock.

The portability may not appeal to you but because both options are present it shouldn't be a negative factor.

Where did I say it was a negative factor? I said that it's something that wouldn't benefit me personally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Thing of great power or size, in particular a film, book, or other product that is a great commercial success.

Ah come on now.
    You know what they meant.
    I've a Switch and 3 games so far (4 by Friday)

Blockbuster Games would be:
    Mario
    Zelda
    Metroid (maybe?)

Basically "system sellers"
    Pikmin and Yoshi are not gonna shift consoles to non-fans, they are like a nice addition.

Arms Currently holds 7.7 Metacritic score and 7.9 Userscore. Minority don't like it. Majority do.
    Mario & Rabbids Has a Metacritic score of 85 and a Userscore of 8.7. Minority don't like it. Majority do.
    Splattoon 2 Has a Metacritic score of 83 and a Userscore of 8.4. Minority don't like it. Majority do.

I think Zelda will get it but Horizon Zero Dawn is worth a mention as well.

By your blockbuster logic then the PS4 has an absolute TONNE of those :D

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_PlayStation_4_video_games

I'd be willing to use common sense and gaming knowledge to know that Arms and Mario Rabbids are not going to be known as classics and must buys.

Splatoon 2 I'd also put in the category of not a console seller. But I'd give you that at a push.

Zelda is a Wii U game.

Mario is the first game I'd deem a blockbuster IMO.

• Ah come on now.
    You know what they meant.
    I've a Switch and 3 games so far (4 by Friday)

Blockbuster Games would be:
    Mario
    Zelda
    Metroid (maybe?)

Basically "system sellers"
    Pikmin and Yoshi are not gonna shift consoles to non-fans, they are like a nice addition.

They sold systems. They are system sellers.
    The facts are there along with sales data.

It depends what your definition of blockbuster title is.

Cool. Let me just move these goalposts over here...

My definition: a high-budget production aimed at mass markets, with associated merchandising, on which the financial fortunes of the developer depends.

Arms? Yes.
    Splatoon 2? Yes.
    Mario + Rabbids? Yes.
    Zelda? Yes.

Your definition: a title that is exclusive to that platform, that will get people to buy the console, and be remembered as a must buy and classic.

I think those games have your first 2 points checked. I dunno about the other 2 points. Probably not.

Your definition puts you in a tight spot though. Care to name a few PS or XBOX blockbuster games that fit your definition? Must be:
    1 - exclusive to that platform.
    2 - will get people to buy the console
    3 - remembered as a MUST buy
    4 - remembered as a classic

You have assigned Mario Odyssey the label "blockbuster title" while it is impossible for that game to meet points 3 & 4 of your criteria on account of not being released yet.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Breath of the Wild, not a port, they were released simultaneously.
    The WiiU might have been the initial primary platform but they ended up developed in parallel in the latter stages of development, so it's not a port.
    And get over yourself.

Cool. Let me just move these goalposts over here...

My definition: a high-budget production aimed at mass markets, with associated merchandising, on which the financial fortunes of the developer depends.

Arms? Yes.
    Splatoon 2? Yes.
    Mario + Rabbids? Yes.
    Zelda? Yes.

Your definition: a title that is exclusive to that platform, that will get people to buy the console, and be remembered as a must buy and classic.

I think those games have your first 2 points checked. I dunno about the other 2 points. Probably not.

Your definition puts you in a tight spot though. Care to name a few PS or XBOX blockbuster games that fit your definition? Must be:
    1 - exclusive to that platform.
    2 - will get people to buy the console
    3 - remembered as a MUST buy
    4 - remembered as a classic

You have assigned Mario Odyssey the label "blockbuster title" while it is impossible for that game to meet points 3 & 4 of your criteria on account of not being released yet.

There's not many people who bought a Switch cos of Arms FFS, or Splatoon 2.

Mario WILL BE the first. We all know it's gonna be epic. Zelda was epic but many of us played it on the Wii U, so it's hardly a "you gotta get the Switch to play this".

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Breath of the Wild, not a port, they were released simultaneously.
    The WiiU might have been the initial primary platform but they ended up developed in parallel in the latter stages of development, so it's not a port.
    And get over yourself.

It's a Wii U game, everyone with half a braincell knows this. It was pasted onto the Switch, don't let technicalities fool you into thinking it's a Switch exclusive. But we've went over this before. Just backing up Sligeach from you pesky Switch disciples of blindness.

Get over yourself first. You times 100. Na na na na na.

Honestly I'd say very few people bought the switch for any other game than Zelda at the start, ARMs, Rabbits etc are just nice bonuses.

I'm buying one because I love the flexibility the console will give me and that's the main reason. I'll definitely get Mario Kart and Zelda but I'm not sure about Mario Odyssey yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Honestly I'd say very few people bought the switch for any other game than Zelda at the start, ARMs, Rabbits etc are just nice bonuses.

I'm buying one because I love the flexibility the console will give me and that's the main reason. I'll definitely get Mario Kart and Zelda but I'm not sure about Mario Odyssey yet.

I'd say Odyssey is a must buy, above all else.

Advertisement