Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,325 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Golf Story is worth a look, albeit another that's not meant as a robust simulation. It's a RPG, with some pretty solid arcade golf mechanics.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,930 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Jordan 199 wrote: »
    Does anyone play golf games? I'm strongly considering getting a golf game for one of my consoles.
    Probably not what you're looking for but Golf Story on the Switch was one of the best games Ive played in recent times, probably because I loved Mario Golf so much on the GBA as a kid.

EDIT: Beaten to it. Regular golf sims I dont know, I liked them back in the day but they're a bit dull nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

Does anyone play golf games? I'm strongly considering getting a golf game for one of my consoles.

Not since ~2002 - ~2006 when Tiger Woods was banging everything have I played a good golf game.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,282 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Golf games are weird. New golf pretty much perfected the genre and it has never changed since

For something not too serious, maybe try Everybody's Golf on the PS4. Was on sale digital for a tenner last week, back to 40 now though. Cheap in CeX though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,916 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Tetris Effect. I started playing this a short time ago and it's amazing to play.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,503 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

nix wrote: »
    What game is it?

When you have steam installed, you might be able to activate the game on steam by inputting the CD key to add it to your steam library.

So when steam is installed and open click on "Games" at the top between friends and help and then click on "Activate a product on steam" and follow the steps and input the CD key that came with the game. Should work that way without a hitch.

Thanks, we got sorted in the end (although not via the physical disc).
    I just had to create the Steam account first myself.

But I had another issue, the person who I bought it off had used it before and the activation code had already been used, so it was useless for me.

I ended up just buying it off Steam, it was only a fiver.

If a previous owner has done that, is there any way of deregistering their activation, or are you buggered?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

NIMAN wrote: »
    Thanks, we got sorted in the end (although not via the physical disc).
    I just had to create the Steam account first myself.

But I had another issue, the person who I bought it off had used it before and the activation code had already been used, so it was useless for me.

I ended up just buying it off Steam, it was only a fiver.

If a previous owner has done that, is there any way of deregistering their activation, or are you buggered?

Buggered. As a rule of thumb, dont do second hand PC games. Heck, i dont even buy hard copies anymore, unless its like a collectors edition or something i want, I'd still download the game to install but the CD key would always get used and then it can never be used again..

• Registered Users Posts: 29,811 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Bought a ps3 today. I forgot how bad the ui was (compared to ps4, how bad the psn store was and how ridiculously slow that downloading and installing is. Saying that, I'm stupidly happy to be installing Mass Effect 2 and Skate 3.

I also never played fight night champion and think i bed to give it a go, only 9 quid from Gamestop.

• Administrators Posts: 53,752 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Bought a ps3 today. I forgot how bad the ui was (compared to ps4, how bad the psn store was and how ridiculously slow that downloading and installing is. Saying that, I'm stupidly happy to be installing Mass Effect 2 and Skate 3.

I also never played fight night champion and think i bed to give it a go, only 9 quid from Gamestop.

Downloads on PS4 are painfully slow as well I found.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Doctor Nick

Buy Demon's Souls man, if you haven't played before. While it's now offline there a private server you can connect to for the full experience. Connection details on reddit DS page.

I know its highly likely to get a remaster or even an all round remake on the PS5. But that's Alt least a year away and maybe more Demon's Souls deserves a full playthrough in its current state especially if you like the later games.

While the game play is much more refined in the other none of the later Souls games came close to the atmosphere of the original. Tower of Latria still sends shivers up my spine.

It's also very interesting when you see something from Dark Souls and think, Oh Demons did that first.

I'm saying all above and you may not even be a Soulsborne fan.

I played through Demons souls ages back, my first souls experience. Really liked it but got less than half way through and became really stuck. I remember skeletons kicking my ass but choosing different paths all led to the same death and i gave up on it.

Fast forward a bit and i play dark souls. Got half way through before getting stuck and giving up.

Fast forward another bit and i try dark souls again. Something just clicks and i lovingly beat the **** out it as i do with 2, 3 and Bloodborne. I always wanted to replay demons souls as i know i would do better this time so yeah, it's on my list :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,282 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The UI is really bad. The HTML based shop is pathetic and crashes all the time. You'd think they'd have it integrated in the UI.

The UI also slows down as you make changes to it until it totally collapses and you have a bricked console. Might be worth formatting the whole system and starting from scratch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Doctor Nick

I played through Demons souls ages back, my first souls experience. Really liked it but got less than half way through and became really stuck. I remember skeletons kicking my ass but choosing different paths all led to the same death and i gave up on it.

Fast forward a bit and i play dark souls. Got half way through before getting stuck and giving up.

Fast forward another bit and i try dark souls again. Something just clicks and i lovingly beat the **** out it as i do with 2, 3 and Bloodborne. I always wanted to replay demons souls as i know i would do better this time so yeah, it's on my list :)

Ah, Shrine of Storms I think the area was called with them and yes the skeletons were a serious pain the hole first time you meet them. Eventually, like everything you figure out a pattern. I think they could be parried handily enough. The gold ones on the other hand.

I'd say with your knowledge from the later games you'd slaughter them no problem now.

There is one Boss in this I still struggle with every playthrough. Not flame lurker, not False King Allan. The ****ing man eaters always slow my progress for a long time. They are the prototype of the Gargoyles from DS but the skinny platform, the fact the fly away so much and the huge AOE which always knocks me to my death I find them do much harder to deal with.

You should pick up a physical copy of Demons for 25 in cex. 10 on the PS store.

Or just get Sekiro instead 🀔

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭2lazytogetup

sorry im a newbie here.

Im thinking of getting a second hand xbox 360 for 60euro, as opposed to an Xbox one for 160euros. And xbox 360 games seem cheaper

im just wondering what the quality is. the playability of the games doesnt seem to have changed in 20 years. Fighting is still the same from street fighter 2 to street fighter 4. FIFA game play seems the same. 1st person shooters seem the same. And looking at youtube videos where the compare graphics, they talk about the better reflections, and how the rain looks more realistic on the newest consoles. i dont care how the rain looks. So i am wondering what id be missing out on in buying an older console (xbox 360 or ps3) as oppoosed to an xboxone or ps4.

sorry im a newbie here.

Im thinking of getting a second hand xbox 360 for 60euro, as opposed to an Xbox one for 160euros. And xbox 360 games seem cheaper

im just wondering what the quality is. the playability of the games doesnt seem to have changed in 20 years. Fighting is still the same from street fighter 2 to street fighter 4. FIFA game play seems the same. 1st person shooters seem the same. And looking at youtube videos where the compare graphics, they talk about the better reflections, and how the rain looks more realistic on the newest consoles. i dont care how the rain looks. So i am wondering what id be missing out on in buying an older console (xbox 360 or ps3) as oppoosed to an xboxone or ps4.

Well you'll be missing out on any new games. Also nearly all online services for games will be shut down so you can forget about playing online for a lot of games.

Triple A gaming hasn't changed a whole lot but indie games have. There's a much better selection of indie games on the current platforms. Also lots of tv services have been delisted from platforms.

One big change is the playability in a lot of games
    A lot of games from that generation targeted 30 frames per second but suffered really bad frame drops which make the games sluggish to play. Framerates are more consistent on the newer platforms and hence games play a lot better even if most are 30 fps instead of 60.

"Doctor wrote:

You should pick up a physical copy of Demons for 25 in cex. 10 on the PS store.

Decided to check my download list and saw i already own demons souls as well as other games i was looking for like Spec Ops, Mafia 2, ico and deadly premonition. Only other ones i want are max Payne 3 (currently 3 euro) and tomb raider anniversary. 70 euro (paid 40 with a game trade) PS3 has been the best purchase i made in a long long time...... Well 2nd best after Outer Wilds.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,916 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Games I'm looking forward to getting my hands on the first half of this year are:

Yakuza Remastered Collection.

Resident Evil 3 Remake.

Cyberpunk 2077.

The Last of Us 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭2lazytogetup

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Well you'll be missing out on any new games. Also nearly all online services for games will be shut down so you can forget about playing online for a lot of games.

Triple A gaming hasn't changed a whole lot but indie games have. There's a much better selection of indie games on the current platforms. Also lots of tv services have been delisted from platforms.

One big change is the playability in a lot of games
    A lot of games from that generation targeted 30 frames per second but suffered really bad frame drops which make the games sluggish to play. Framerates are more consistent on the newer platforms and hence games play a lot better even if most are 30 fps instead of 60.

Thanks Retrogamer. Appreciate you mention the fps, as i wouldnt have thought of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

Not enjoying AC7 as much as I did with AC6. The UI for selecting parts and navigating the tree is fairly slow. Gameplay is okay but missions are a bit meh, the storyline is really bad (way more cringe than expected).

• Advertisement

Not enjoying AC7 as much as I did with AC6. The UI for selecting parts and navigating the tree is fairly slow. Gameplay is okay but missions are a bit meh, the storyline is really bad (way more cringe than expected).

How dare you :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,778 ✭✭✭Evade

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    How dare you :(
    AC7 is the FFVII of the series, over-hyped but special because it's your first.

Evade wrote: »

giphy.gif?cid=19f5b51ac006a05836ad4173c5a0f99cfc110a5d4559054b&rid=giphy.gif

Evade wrote: »

I feel personally attacked.

s03cpq155cyz.gif

I enjoyed it for what it is :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,965 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I've only played a couple of missions in AC7 so far, other games getting in the way (including my persistence to buy games just because they're cheap and never actually play them). It seems good, can't comment on the story yet. I did start it with Japanese voices and English subs, but quickly changed when I realised I can't read subtitles and dialogue while trying to fly!

Gonna take a while to get used to the pitch and roll mechanics, so still too early to say if I like it or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,408 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I've only played a couple of missions in AC7 so far, other games getting in the way (including my persistence to buy games just because they're cheap and never actually play them). It seems good, can't comment on the story yet. I did start it with Japanese voices and English subs, but quickly changed when I realised I can't read subtitles and dialogue while trying to fly!

Gonna take a while to get used to the pitch and roll mechanics, so still too early to say if I like it or not.

Casual gamers :rolleyes:
    Would it be that difficult to learn Japanese and play it as intended?

The pitch and roll controls do become second nature eventually. Especially once you learn the shoulder bumpers can be used to make slight adjusts when needed.

As for the story, if it wasn't for kingdom Hearts 3 I'd call it the worst jrpg story of the year. However I don't think they are playing it straight. There's so laugh out loud moments of insanity in there and it doesn't get in the way of just how epic some of the later missions feel.

Uuggghhhh I had the misfortune of starting KH3 the other night. Not enjoying it at all. Haven't played the games since the original came out. I should have known after watching the recap videos to stop there.

Kingdom Hearts was never good.

• Advertisement

IGN changing their review scores from 10.0 system to just whole numbers. Great game = 9, good = 8, average = 7, **** = 6 and below. People tend to get too hung up on an 8.3 or 8.8 so it's no harm imo. They will still have **** reviews either way.

https://twitter.com/IGN/status/1212962052941201411?s=19

Advertisement