Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,724 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Sensi stamps!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Sensible Soccer!

Imagine if you put Sensi in front of a FIFA kid, they'd probably throw the controller back at you in disgust. Where are the card packs and accurate grass physics? :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,282 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

pixelburp wrote: »
    Sensible Soccer!

Imagine if you put Sensi in front of a FIFA kid, they'd probably throw the controller back at you in disgust. Where are the card packs and accurate grass physics? :D

Then followed by the disgust that the football is actually fun to play.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭JimBurnley

Ah, Sensi Soccer. Best football game ever

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Kentucky Route Zero Act V and TV editions only a few weeks away. Been a very long wait for the finale - and a very long wait for more people to get to play it (a dreamy, stunning magical realist odyssey) too :)

https://twitter.com/a_i/status/1214592535483633666?s=21

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,811 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Kentucky Route Zero Act V and TV editions only a few weeks away. Been a very long wait for the finale - and a very long wait for more people to get to play it (a dreamy, stunning magical realist odyssey) too :)

https://twitter.com/a_i/status/1214592535483633666?s=21

I was just looking that to last week and it sounded like the console release was ages off. Definitely interested in hearing more about it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

So, for the chronically lazy, too much so to Google, what is Kentucky about? Not sure if it's the kind of game I'd like, but also seems like one built on the experience too, so don't want to search and accidentally read spoilers and whatnot. The trailer was ... ambiguous.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,930 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

quokula wrote: »
    Racing games as a whole are another one. I used to put so many hours into Gran Turismo. And I'd play every Codemasters racer. And Need For Speed every other year, and Burnout of course, and more recently Forza and Horizon. But for the last 10 years or more I don't feel like any of them have brought anything new to the table and I'm getting more and more disinterested. I think there's actually a problem with too much content. Will there ever be a game where I care as much about getting a new car as I did when upgrading from my second hand MX5 to an Impreza in the first Gran Turismo? It doesn't seem like it. I guess the fact I've never been too interested in online play is a big factor too, as devs use that as an excuse not to give a compelling career mode.
    Give VR a go?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,282 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I was waiting for it to be finished before I bought it and played it. However only just noticed I'd already bought it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,965 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

So, for the chronically lazy, too much so to Google, what is Kentucky about? Not sure if it's the kind of game I'd like, but also seems like one built on the experience too, so don't want to search and accidentally read spoilers and whatnot. The trailer was ... ambiguous.

I haven't played it, and I don't know about it, but the steam tag is:

"Kentucky Route Zero is a magical realist adventure game about a secret highway in the caves beneath Kentucky, and the mysterious folks who travel it."

And a review on Steam:

"Kentucky Route Zero is so weirdly unique that it's difficult to even define. The game itself is less of a "game" and instead a hypnotizing, living & breathing work of art left for you to explore. Take Journey and Oxenfree and just mash them together a bit and drop it into the dark woods of midwestern America."

Thanks to that review, I'll know it's not for me, if they consider a mash of Journey and some other game as similar, and I did not like Journey... Also, first episode came out in 2013!!! If I had bought into it at that stage, I would be fairly confident any goodness would be long gone and left with bitterness of an unfinished story (as each episode is only about 30 min long or something...). To be honest, I couldn't even support a dev who takes 7 years to release 5 episodes of the 1 game at that length. It's taking the pi$$ really, regardless of how good the game is supposed to be.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Believe me I'm not trying to be smart when I say it's really, really hard to describe what it's about :pac: The basic setup is simple: you control an antique delivery man who gets lost and meets up with a small group of fellow lost souls. But it has real Twin Peaks energy, and not in the Alan Wake / Deadly Premonition sense of just ripping off its aesthetics. It has this strange, dreamlike logic as you go deeper down the eponymous route zero - encountering a whole host of unusual, captivating sights and sounds. The plot is meandering, but it tries and often succeeds in exploring the sort of more subconscious ideas and emotions most games don't go near.

What makes it so special is a) it looks and sounds magnificent - like bordering on one of the most fetching games of all time in that sense b) is loaded with these absolutely mesmerising setpieces that are quite unlike anything else you'll encounter in games and c) is overflowing with atmosphere. It's a idiosyncratic and often slow game that surely isn't for everyone, but IMO captivating and has only gotten better and better with each passing episode. Act V has been in the oven a long time - I have little doubt, given the confidence with which each episode has shown so far, that it'll be something remarkable.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭SomeSayKos

Believe me I'm not trying to be smart when I say it's really, really hard to describe what it's about :pac: The basic setup is simple: you control an antique delivery man who gets lost and meets up with a small group of fellow lost souls. But it has real Twin Peaks energy, and not in the Alan Wake / Deadly Premonition sense of just ripping off its aesthetics. It has this strange, dreamlike logic as you go deeper down the eponymous route zero - encountering a whole host of unusual, captivating sights and sounds. The plot is meandering, but it tries and often succeeds in exploring the sort of more subconscious ideas and emotions most games don't go near.

What makes it so special is a) it looks and sounds magnificent - like bordering on one of the most fetching games of all time in that sense b) is loaded with these absolutely mesmerising setpieces that are quite unlike anything else you'll encounter in games and c) is overflowing with atmosphere. It's a idiosyncratic and often slow game that surely isn't for everyone, but IMO captivating and has only gotten better and better with each passing episode. Act V has been in the oven a long time - I have little doubt, given the confidence with which each episode has shown so far, that it'll be something remarkable.
    you've sold me on it anyways! sounds like my cup of tea

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

IGN aren't the only laughing stock for game coverage and reviews. PCG just released one critising monster hunter for... killing monsters. And bikini armor (which it doesn't have). :D

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭_Godot_

I picked up Assassin's Creed 2, Assassin's Creed 3, Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag, Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood and Assassin's Creed: Revelations from cex using a voucher. Looking forward to playing them all for the first time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭GhostofKNugget

_Godot_ wrote: »
    I picked up Assassin's Creed 2, Assassin's Creed 3, Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag, Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood and Assassin's Creed: Revelations from cex using a voucher. Looking forward to playing them all for the first time.

Playing that many Assassin's Creed games in a row sounds like an exercise in extreme masochism.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,607 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Playing that many Assassin's Creed games in a row sounds like an exercise in extreme masochism.

Yeah as much as I love most of the games on that list (AC2 being one of my favourite games of all time, Brotherhood and Revelations are also great, and Black Flag is pretty superb too), definitely give yourself a break between them. Once you start the next one and realise you're starting completely fro scratch again and seeing the map full of icons etc, it can be disheartening as there's not always a lot of variance between the games.

But, they are great games. Playing through them too quickly will sap all your enthusiasm for them though.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭one armed dwarf

After AC2 they started to all feel like spreadsheets to me tbh.

But AC2 was very good when it first came out.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭SomeSayKos

IGN aren't the only laughing stock for game coverage and reviews. PCG just released one critising monster hunter for... killing monsters. And bikini armor (which it doesn't have). :D

It was actually a positive review and you're being highly reductive with those 2 points. There's actually way more nuance in the writing itself but i don't think nuanced thought is your bag so whatever :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

After AC2 they started to all feel like spreadsheets to me tbh.

But AC2 was very good when it first came out.

AC2, Brotherhood & Revelations are one continuous 50 hour story. They are set on Florence, Rome & after a google search in Istanbul. I could definitely could play them after each other as there was enough variety even though the real world sections are a drag.
    AC Odyssey now is too open now for it's own good & you lose track of the story very handily. A failing of modern open world games. Even Black Flag & AC III felt too open compared to the claustrophobic cities in the Ezio games.
    They also lean on tailing & mission designs with instant fails a bit too much.

ERG89 wrote: »
    AC2, Brotherhood & Revelations are one continuous 50 hour story. They are set on Florence, Rome & after a google search in Istanbul. I could definitely could play them after each other as there was enough variety even though the real world sections are a drag.
    AC Odyssey now is too open now for it's own good & you lose track of the story very handily. A failing of modern open world games. Even Black Flag & AC III felt too open compared to the claustrophobic cities in the Ezio games.

I think the issue with going straight through the Ezio trilogy as a whole would be having to start again in each game in terms of weapons, abilities etc, having to go through tutorials for everything again, changes in controls. Given that they're not short games I think a break of a month or two between would be beneficial. Just my opinion though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

SomeSayKos wrote: »
    It was actually a positive review and you're being highly reductive with those 2 points. There's actually way more nuance in the writing itself
    Whether it's a positive review or a negative doesn't change the absurdity of those 2 criticisms.
    004404530f4ac98b11ed2975e656e4fa282c231fdd37b96245e5f479800c01ff.png
    Same author ;)
    SomeSayKos wrote: »
    but i don't think nuanced thought is your bag so whatever pacman.gif
    You can enjoy all that "nuance" you want from PCG lol.

Playing Biohazard 2 and it's actually quite tricky. I'm playing it for the first time and Hardcore mode is really making me fight for my life. Luckily I haven't died outside of the opening area where I was just getting to grips with how things worked. Its made me want to not die a single time now to see if I can get a no death run from here on. The station keeps reminding me of Biohazard Outbreak - I'm remembering the layout and characters. Its pretty cool that they kept it consistent enough to be able to recall it from memory like this.

If you watch anything from the current AGDQ watch the Mushihime Futari run that just finished up. It was utterly insane the level of skill on show and it went right down to the wire.

And sounds like a dub playing mgs3 speed run.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭one armed dwarf

ERG89 wrote: »
    Yeah but when I started up Brotherhood it felt like I was just filling in parts of the map all over again like in ACII. It did not feel new or fresh at all, just a different location with Rome.

It's a series that just never moved forward in an interesting direction past that one game imo. At least until they re-invented it with Origins, which I haven't played I'll admit.

But Black Flag had sea shanties?

Yeah but when I started up Brotherhood it felt like I was just filling in parts of the map all over again like in ACII. It did not feel new or fresh at all, just a different location with Rome.

It's a series that just never moved forward in an interesting direction past that one game imo. At least until they re-invented it with Origins, which I haven't played I'll admit.

They were moving in a great direction with Black Flag, but the on-land bits killed it as in many ways it was AC at its worse (bland tailing/eavesdropping missions, islands mostly only had small buildings which made climbing & running over rooftops and through trees boring/redundant). The game really opened up on the sea and was an absolute joy. Then they returned to big cities for Unity and Syndicate.

Odyssey has a lot of the ship stuff back from Black Flag and expanded on, but it's less pirate-y and doesn't have quite the same joy to it. But yeah, Origins (which I didn't really play past the first 3-4 hours) and Odyssey (which I absolutely loved) have classic AC elements but in a new way and give a fresher experience.

From the Disco Elsyium thread i was reminded of the 90's pc game Sanitarium. Looking up the devs to see what they're up to these days and saw that sanitarium was posted to Android and ios a few years back.

On the off chance, anyone play it on mobile and recommend it? Mobile ports can be dodgy but 4 euro might be worth a punt.

Will make it a bit broader, any suggestions on old pc games that are available on Android? I see the original broken sword is there as well, any other classics i may not know about?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,965 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I think AC is still getting unnecessary negativity. We were all tired of the annual rinse and repeat efforts, and while AC2 had an amazing story, it was still early in the AC franchise so didn't feel stale, and I'd imagine if the AC2 story was saved, for say, Unity, it wouldn't have been as well received as the formula was a bit stale by then (for me anyway). Black Flag, as mentioned above, was fantastic on the sea and let down by the on-land sections, especially those tailing missions.

So they listened, and created an actual open world game with Origins, which was fantastic imo. Felt different, but at the same time similar, and a pretty good story. And of course, it led to Odyssey, which is utterly amazing. Some people are giving out it's not Assassins Creed, and I can appreciate that, but Assassins weren't around until Origins, and Odyssey is set ~360 years before Origins, so of course it would be less Assassiney. It's a game set in the AC world, where they're exploring the origins of the Pieces of Eden. And I think they've done a brilliant job, connecting the Pieces of Eden to mythological events throughout time. And I think that's where people are going wrong, expecting a typical AC game from a game set before Assassins were a thing!

Anyway, Odyssey was definitely the breath of fresh air the series needed (and Origins), and I'm still playing it today. I recently went back to complete the DLC and have spent the last 5-10 hours just cleaning up the map instead. I reckon I still have another 25+ hours left in this, and that's still without clearing out everything (is that even possible?!). I am truly stoked for Ragnarok, especially as they will be visiting the Emerald Isles!

• Advertisement

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Will make it a bit broader, any suggestions on old pc games that are available on Android? I see the original broken sword is there as well, any other classics i may not know about?

Not old, but xcom enemy within is available on Android. The controls are a little fiddly but otherwise plays identical to the PC release.

Advertisement