Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Comments

• By your blockbuster logic then the PS4 has an absolute TONNE of those :D

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_PlayStation_4_video_games

I'd be willing to use common sense and gaming knowledge to know that Arms and Mario Rabbids are not going to be known as classics and must buys.

Splatoon 2 I'd also put in the category of not a console seller. But I'd give you that at a push.

Zelda is a Wii U game.

Mario is the first game I'd deem a blockbuster IMO.

PS4 does have a tonne of them yea. What has this got to do with the Switch having its own blockbusters / system sellers?

It's not about giving me anything. These games have sold large volumes. They are blockbusters. The sales back it up.

The goalpost moving is quite impressive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,255 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I'd say Odyssey is a must buy, above all else.

I've never played Mario in 3D he's always been a 2D guy for me the the change is difficult :pac:

Saying that I'm thinking of the Mario Bundle because the two red joycons look great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Saruhashi

By your blockbuster logic then the PS4 has an absolute TONNE of those :D

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_PlayStation_4_video_games

Wait, so Mario Kart 8 Deluxe and Zelda BOTW have sold more copies since March than EVERY PS4 bestseller with the exception of Uncharted 4?

I think those numbers must be wrong. There are 60+ million PS4 consoles out there and games like Horizon are only selling 4 million copies?

Bloodborne only sold 2 million? :(

And the greatest blockbuster game of our time, 1-2 Switch, sold more copies than Nioh?

Looks like Nintendo has sold around 4 million Switch consoles so a quarter of Switch owners are buying games like Arms and Splatoon with releases like Mario Kart and Zelda being purchased by around 75% of console owners.

On the PS4 side the biggest selling exclusive game is Uncharted 4 which was bought by around 15% of PS4 owners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,919 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

In fairness, Splatoon 2 is a system seller most definitely in Japan. I think that's where Nintendo are focusing much of their effort. Japan laps up handhelds and their Switch presentation at the start of the year was in Japan, which was a change from the norm. BOTW is 100% a port. A port that also came at a cost to Wii U, removing all gamepad functionality. Just like Twilight Princess on the Wii was a Gamecube port.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,621 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

It's a Wii U game, everyone with half a braincell knows this. It was pasted onto the Switch, don't let technicalities fool you into thinking it's a Switch exclusive. But we've went over this before. Just backing up Sligeach from you pesky Switch disciples of blindness.

Get over yourself first. You times 100. Na na na na na.

I fart in your general direction, your father was a hamster and your mother smelt of elderberries!

Never called it an exclusive, and it may well be a "port" had it have been released on the WiiU when it was supposed to.
    But it ended up appealling to far more people as a Switch game and so it became the place it was played, over the WiiU.
    No one thinks of The Last Guardian as a PS3 port, after all.
    But it doesn't matter.
    BotW was/is one of the best games of 2017.

• Advertisement

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    PS4 does have a tonne of them yea. What has this got to do with the Switch having its own blockbusters / system sellers?

It's not about giving me anything. These games have sold large volumes. They are blockbusters. The sales back it up.

The goalpost moving is quite impressive.

For PlayStation I'd consider Bloodborne, Uncharted and The Last of Us to be system sellers.

For Xbox you've got Halo, Forza and Gears.

Nintendo with Mario, Zelda, Metroid and Pokémon.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,621 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

sligeach wrote: »
    In fairness, Splatoon 2 is a system seller most definitely in Japan. I think that's where Nintendo are focusing much of their effort. Japan laps up handhelds and their Switch presentation at the start of the year was in Japan, which was a change from the norm. BOTW is 100% a port. A port that also came at a cost to Wii U, removing all gamepad functionality. Just like Twilight Princess on the Wii was a Gamecube port.

I was talking to my son on this the other day, it was a crime that they pulled the WiiU specific features from BotW.

While I love Metroid, it's a toss up between it and Zelda for my favourite franchise, but it's never been a system seller. A critical success, yes, but commercially it's never sold like gangbusters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Saruhashi

emmetkenny wrote: »
    For PlayStation I'd consider Bloodborne, Uncharted and The Last of Us to be system sellers.

For Xbox you've got Halo, Forza and Gears.

Nintendo with Mario, Zelda, Metroid and Pokémon.

I wouldn't be so sure.

Bloodborne, for example, has apparently sold 2 million copies but Sony had already sold 20 million PS4 consoles when Bloodborne was released.

By June 2017 Sony had sold 60+ million PS4 consoles.

If anything, Call of Duty looks like the real system seller here to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

Switch seems to be this forums Monopoly. It's tearing us apart.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Saruhashi wrote: »
    Wait, so Mario Kart 8 Deluxe and Zelda BOTW have sold more copies since March than EVERY PS4 bestseller with the exception of Uncharted 4?

I think those numbers must be wrong. There are 60+ million PS4 consoles out there and games like Horizon are only selling 4 million copies?

Bloodborne only sold 2 million? :(

And the greatest blockbuster game of our time, 1-2 Switch, sold more copies than Nioh?
    I'd say your numbers are correct.

Exclusives don't sell very well on PlayStation considering their 60+ million player base.

Most people buy the PlayStation & Xbox for the usual third party games.

Saruhashi wrote: »
    I wouldn't be so sure.

Bloodborne, for example, has apparently sold 2 million copies but Sony had already sold 20 million PS4 consoles when Bloodborne was released.

By June 2017 Sony had sold 60+ million PS4 consoles.

If anything, Call of Duty looks like the real system seller here to be honest.

Call of Duty, Minecraft, FIFA etc wouldn't really be a system seller as they are available on multiple platforms.

I was more speaking in terms of exclusives being system sellers. From my point of view I know quite a few people who bought a PlayStation to try Bloodborne and Last of Us and similar with Xbox for Gears and Halo.

• emmetkenny wrote: »
    Call of Duty, Minecraft, FIFA etc wouldn't really be a system seller as they are available on multiple platforms.

I was more speaking in terms of exclusives being system sellers. From my point of view I know quite a few people who bought a PlayStation to try Bloodborne and Last of Us and similar with Xbox for Gears and Halo.

Every game I pointed out is an exclusive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,218 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

sligeach wrote: »
    Zelda was no port??? don't be ridiculous.

why are you so negative towards the switch? its like you are salty cos you don't have one and Nintendo abandoned the wii u.

I remember you on adverts 4/5 months after the wii u launched scaremongering people who were selling the console to sell cheaply. saying things like the console is doomed etc and ill offer x because of that.

seriously sligeach why not just buy the console use it and then air whatever negative speel you have about it? your opinion being so negative without experiencing the console is ridiculous.

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Every game I pointed out is an exclusive

Yes they are but I really don't think they'll ever be regarded as highly as some of those I mentioned.

I'm sure they are great and I'll probably end up playing them at some point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,218 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Any chance of some gaming news lads?
    super Mario odyssey is out on Friday ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,874 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Surprised there isn't an AC Origins thread yet, enough discussion to warrant one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,015 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I'd say your numbers are correct.

Exclusives don't sell very well on PlayStation considering their 60+ million player base.

Most people buy the PlayStation & Xbox for the usual third party games.

Well just based on the Wikipedia list posted above, 19 games on there, 11 of which are PS4 exclusives (or console exclusives).

I'd agree that a lot of people buy the PS/XB for maybe a few third party games (FIFA, COD etc) and for much of the rest of the time would use the console for bluray/Netflix/media player, compared to something like the Switch (or even the Wii) where people only buy them as a games machine (and is more directed at kids) so would have a higher percentage of users who would buy the exclusives. Particularly with the Switch as all the focus was on Zelda & Mario, always highly rated games from the biggest franchises in gaming, and will always be system sellers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,091 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Surprised there isn't an AC Origins thread yet, enough discussion to warrant one.

Good point, just created one in the general forum.

First review in has it as an 8.8/10 (Pure PlayStation -
    Does contain minor spoilers) which is promising. I'll obviously concern myself with the mean of the majority of reviews but good to see it hasn't come out as a stinker out of the gate :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    BotW was/is one of the best games of 2017.
    To me 2017 has seemed a bit flat in terms of gaming on the whole, things like large delays on Star Citizen 3.0 (I know it's not the completed game, but it looks a huge leap forward that I might get on board for), Mass Effect: Andromeda apparently being hugely underwhelming, some titles like Red Dead being pushed back (I think it initially had Q4 2017 as the expected release?), the Shadow of War controversy etc etc. Some very good titles too but not necessarily ground breaking or generating anything near the buzz of The Witcher, Overwatch or GTAV in recent years (e.g. Wolfenstein, RE7, etc).

BOTW though, was utterly fantastic - I'd imagine the above will surely clean up the game of the year awards in a manner similar to how The Witcher in did 2015. Coming from someone who was never able to get into any Zelda games before, I got absolutely lost in that game in the best possible way. I've been running through a lot of games to make up for years lost time (so lots of great back titles to get through) and I reckon I've only enjoyed The Witcher 3 more than this out of any of them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Penn wrote: »
    Well just based on the Wikipedia list posted above, 19 games on there, 11 of which are PS4 exclusives (or console exclusives).

I'd agree that a lot of people buy the PS/XB for maybe a few third party games (FIFA, COD etc) and for much of the rest of the time would use the console for bluray/Netflix/media player, compared to something like the Switch (or even the Wii) where people only buy them as a games machine (and is more directed at kids) so would have a higher percentage of users who would buy the exclusives. Particularly with the Switch as all the focus was on Zelda & Mario, always highly rated games from the biggest franchises in gaming, and will always be system sellers.
    One thing in my opinion since getting back into gaming about a year ago, is that the PS4 is absolutely butchering Xbox when it comes to quality of exclusives.

• emmetkenny wrote: »
    Yes they are but I really don't think they'll ever be regarded as highly as some of those I mentioned.

I'm sure they are great and I'll probably end up playing them at some point.

I will just mark in bold the top selling games as of September 2017 for Nintendo platforms.

Like you say Uncharted is a blockbuster apparently but Mario and Rabbids cannot be? Why so? It is highly regarded by critics and users alike.
    What defines a blockbuster? Sales and system sales?
    Same with movies it's sales.

*Titles marked with an asterisk do not include digital sales*

Destiny 2*
    NBA 2K18
    Madden NFL 18
    FIFA 18
    Mario & Rabbids: Kingdom Battle*
    Marvel vs. Capcom Infinite
    Grand Theft Auto V
    NHL 18
    The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild*
    Rainbow Six Siege
    Mario Kart 8*
    Metroid: Samus Returns*
    Pokken Tournament*
    Overwatch*
    Ark: Survival Evolved*
    Uncharted: The Lost Legacy
    NBA Live 18
    Splatoon 2*
    Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy
    Minecraft

This week's Media Create sales are in. Switch sales are down slightly. PS4 sales are up. The only new software entry on a Nintendo device is NBA 2K18. To say its sales are disappointing would be an understatement.

Media Create Sales: 10/16/17 – 10/22/17

Hardware Sales (followed by last week’s sales)
    1. Switch – 31,092 (40,803)
    2. PlayStation 4 – 25,075 (16,933)
    3. New 2DS LL – 8,449 (10,569)
    4. PlayStation 4 Pro – 6,203(5,773)
    5. New 3DS LL – 6,187 (8,369)
    6. PlayStation Vita – 3,535 (3,938)
    7. 2DS – 1,367 (1,565)
    8. New 3DS – 195 (242)
    9. Xbox One – 69 (71)
    10. PlayStation 3 – 50 (65)
    11. Wii U – 40 (58)

Software Sales (followed by lifetime sales)
    1. [PS4] Gran Turismo Sport (Limited Edition Included) (SIE, 10/19/17) – 150,286 (New)
    2. [PS4] City Shrouded in Shadow (Bandai Namco, 10/19/17) – 48,935 (New)
    3. [PS4] The Evil Within 2 (Bethesda Softworks, 10/19/17) – 42,941 (New)
    4. [PS4] Itadaki Street: Dragon Quest & Final Fantasy 30th Anniversary (Square Enix, 10/19/17) – 42,092 (New)
    5. [PSV] Uta no Prince-sama: Amazing Aria & Sweet Serenade Love (Broccoli, 10/19/17) – 19,904 (New)
    6. [PSV] Itadaki Street: Dragon Quest & Final Fantasy 30th Anniversary (Square Enix, 10/19/17) – 18,784 (New)
    7. [NSW] Splatoon 2 (Nintendo, 07/21/17) – 16,483 (1,249,006)
    8. [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (Nintendo, 04,28,17) – 11,142 (758,597)
    9. [PS4] Middle-earth: Shadow of War (Warner Bros., 10/12/17) – 8,083 (28,227)
    10. [NSW] The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Limited Edition Included) (Nintendo, 03/03/17) – 5,430 (616,383)
    11. [NSW] Pokken Tournament DX (Nintendo, 09/22/17) – 5,224 (102,359)
    12. [3DS] Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga + Bowser’s Minions (Nintendo, 10/05/17) – 5,092 (43,094)
    13. [PS4] FIFA 18 (Limited Editions and Bundles Included) (Electronic Arts, 09/29/17) – 3,910 (79,701)
    14. [PS4] No Heroes Allowed! VR (SIE, 10/14/17) – 3,464 (8,925)
    15. [PS4] Pro Evolution Soccer 2018 (Konami, 09/14/17) – 2,987 (105,005)
    16. [3DS] The Snack World: Trejarers (Level-5, 08/10/17) – 2,882 (183,780)
    17. [NSW] Monster Hunter XX Nintendo Switch Ver. (Capcom, 08/25/17) – 2,814 (158,448)
    18. [3DS] Animal Crossing: New Leaf Amiibo+ (Nintendo, 11/23/16) – 2,748 (256,413)
    19. [NSW] NBA 2K18 (2K Games, 10/17/17) – 2,689 (New)
    20. [PS4] The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel III (Limited Edition Included) (Falcom, 09/28/17) – 2,473 (107,772)

http://gematsu.com/2017/10/media-create-sales-101617-102217

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

Is that sorted in order? Regardless, GTA V been in that list is hella impressive. Some game.

• [PS4] Gran Turismo Sport (Limited Edition Included) (SIE, 10/19/17) – 150,286 (New)
    [PS4] City Shrouded in Shadow (Bandai Namco, 10/19/17) – 48,935 (New)
    [PS4] The Evil Within 2 (Bethesda Softworks, 10/19/17) – 42,941 (New)
    [PS4] Itadaki Street: Dragon Quest & Final Fantasy 30th Anniversary (Square Enix, 10/19/17) – 42,092 (New)
    [PSV] Uta no Prince-sama: Amazing Aria & Sweet Serenade Love (Broccoli, 10/19/17) – 19,904 (New)
    [PSV] Itadaki Street: Dragon Quest & Final Fantasy 30th Anniversary (Square Enix, 10/19/17) – 18,784 (New)
    [NSW] Splatoon 2 (Nintendo, 07/21/17) – 16,483 (1,249,006)
    [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (Nintendo, 04,28,17) – 11,142 (758,597)
    [PS4] Middle-earth: Shadow of War (Warner Bros., 10/12/17) – 8,083 (28,227)
    [NSW] The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Limited Edition Included) (Nintendo, 03/03/17) – 5,430 (616,383)

Nearly all launched only a week and are not even on the Switch platform.
    Both Mario Kart, Splatoon 2 and Zelda still made it into the top ten even though they are out months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

I wouldn't class Metroid as a 'system seller'.

Look at the sales figures.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Ah, here, Sligeach, leeeeave it oooooottt!

There's a Nintendo forum if you want to give out about anything Switch related.

I'm baffled that the Vita is still selling 3,500 units…

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,582 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I have never had a console that felt as worthwhile in its first year as the Switch. I've bought four 'retail' games - Zelda, Arms, Splatoon, Mario vs Rabbids - and they've all been a blast (obviously for very different reasons and to different extents). I expect nothing else from Odyssey either. Even in the unlikely event that is a creative flop, four great Nintendo games (well, one Ubisoft game) in a year is an incredible accomplishment - and I don't think any of the 'big three' have managed an equivalent in at least the last half decade.

AFAIK Nintendo have managed an improbable home run with the Switch. The game developers are firing on all cylinders, which really is all that matters (and I couldn't care less what constitutes a 'blockbuster' if even the 'minor' games are of such high quality). The hardware itself is a joy to use, and has actual character unlike most games hardware these days.

If anything, I really have to wonder what they have left for next year - since they've gone all in and then some for the first year, I don't think they can possibly match it next. Regardless, Nintendo's 2017 has been the most creative and exciting year any major games company has enjoyed in recent times.

• Benzino wrote: »
    Is that sorted in order? Regardless, GTA V been in that list is hella impressive. Some game.

I think it's just September sales in order yes.

GTA V sales are scary, Rockstar I expect would never reveal revenue but I'd say it's one of the biggest selling pieces of media in history (not to mention all the money they make on microtransactions)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,091 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Microsoft have discontinued production of the Kinect so it's effectively dead at this point.

Continuing to offer support for it but support for developer add-ons seems up in the air.

Advertisement