Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,279 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

pixelburp wrote: »
    I liked Luigi's Mansion 3 up to a point; but its core loop got a little bit repetitive after a relatively short period of time. The
    sewer
    floor was super tedious, and overall feels like a game whose (otherwise pretty excellent) gimmick can't really sustain itself past a couple of levels. Not a €60 game in other words.

It's kind of annoying the original Luigi's Mansion got so much flak for being 6 hours long. Perfect length for that kind of game. They padded out the sequels and they are lesser games because of them even though I still think they are well worth playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    It's kind of annoying the original Luigi's Mansion got so much flak for being 6 hours long. Perfect length for that kind of game. They padded out the sequels and they are lesser games because of them even though I still think they are well worth playing.

If it's a six hour game that's grand, make it a six hour game. I think the problem is being charged €60 for it.

• Administrators Posts: 53,752 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Mario Odyssey, Splatoon 2, Astral Chain, Luigi's Mansion 3, Fire Emblem, Kirby Star Allies, Mario + Rabbids, Captain Toad, Bayonetta 2, Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze, Xenoblade 2, Yoshi's Crafted World.

Wealth of good stuff on the Switch for all tastes that should appeal to anyone. Although if by kids games you mean games with cute graphics and no violence, well then that's your own prejudice to get over as it means you are missing out on some game of the generation contenders.

I found Mario Odyssey got boring very quickly.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,279 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

If it's a six hour game that's grand, make it a six hour game. I think the problem is being charged €60 for it.

I on the other hand don't think you should charge for a game based on its length. Would gladly hand over full price for a brilliantly designed 6 hour game such as Luigi's Mansion, Metal Gear Revengeance etc. than an utter time waster like a ubisoft game. I really feel people should stop equating a games worth to play time. Most long grindathons are not worth your time and money yet people seem to keep rewarding publishers and their skinner box mechanics. Nintendo and Platinum are two of the few that still (mostly) create games free of bloat and have actual design and craft behind them.

I feel most triple A videogames now are totally stifled by the need to stretch a 6 hour game out over an open world and 50+ hours of gameplay. Not every game needs to or should be that long.
    awec wrote: »
    I found Mario Odyssey got boring very quickly.

Blasphemy!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Also grew very tired of Luigi's Mansion 3 towards the end - you can tell it's a second-party (?) studio developing it.

Biggest problem is that floor-by-floor structure IMO. Some levels are great and others less so, but the constant upwards climb is an inflexible design choice.

I think it creates fatigue when you have the prospect of another five or six floors before the top, especially with that maddening section where you have to chase a ghost between multiple floors for no good reason.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I on the other hand don't think you should charge for a game based on its length. Would gladly hand over full price for a brilliantly designed 6 hour game such as Luigi's Mansion, Metal Gear Revengeance etc. than an utter time waster like a ubisoft game. I really feel people should stop equating a games worth to play time. Most long grindathons are not worth your time and money yet people seem to keep rewarding publishers and their skinner box mechanics. Nintendo and Platinum are two of the few that still (mostly) create games free of bloat and have actual design and craft behind them.

There's a happy medium though and a little bit of whataboutery in what you're saying: I'm not drawing a direct 1:1 ratio between playtime & cost, and Ubisofts sandbox games are a pox of busy work. But in the case of Luigi's Mansion, €60 bucks for a game artificially elongated past a thin gimmick feels ... cheeky. Christ I'd go so far as to suggest this is a GameJam idea with a big budget. It doesn't feel like value for money TBH and knowing Nintendo keeps its 1st party titles at full price far longer than it should makes me feel a little more aggrieved. Supply & demand yada yada, but LM3 shouldn't be 60 eurobucks.

pixelburp wrote: »
    There's a happy medium though and a little bit of whataboutery in what you're saying: I'm not drawing a direct 1:1 ratio between playtime & cost, and Ubisofts sandbox games are a pox of busy work. But in the case of Luigi's Mansion, €60 bucks for a game artificially elongated past a thin gimmick feels ... cheeky. Christ I'd go so far as to suggest this is a GameJam idea with a big budget. It doesn't feel like value for money TBH and knowing Nintendo keeps its 1st party titles at full price far longer than it should makes me feel a little more aggrieved. Supply & demand yada yada, but LM3 shouldn't be 60 eurobucks.

I kind of agree with you. I do feel Luigi's Mansion 3 is padded out. However Lugi's Mansion 1 was the perfect length at 6 hours long and I'd happily pay that again for a game as good as that despite the length.

Luigi's Mansion 3 is a victim of people thinking that a game has to be long otherwise it's not worth full price and then the developer/publishers acting on this. Then stretching the idea over a longer game with padding to the detriment of the game. In the hands of a braver developer it would have been a briefer and much better game.

• Administrators Posts: 53,752 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Blasphemy!

:D

I found it very same-y. Got to about the fifth world and started losing interest fast.

awec wrote: »
    :D

I found it very same-y. Got to about the fifth world and started losing interest fast.

Please stop before I start polishing my crucifix.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭one armed dwarf

I wish FFVII Remake was about 15 hours long.

Such a boring, plodding re-imagining

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I wish FFVII Remake was about 15 hours long.

Such a boring, plodding re-imagining

Played through the sequence last night where the plate is attacked - I don’t think the designers quite understand that you can’t just ramp up the music for two hours and expect the level of excitement to be maintained as if it were only 10-15 minutes.

Definitely of the view that padding and bloat is one of the most common and destructive trends of modern game design.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭McFly85

I really liked the VII remake for the most part, but it should be at most at 20 hour story. The train graveyard/plate section was far too drawn out and the optional missions that are shoehorned into a couple of areas added very little to the experience.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

PGA Golf 2K21 is due out in August. I love a good golf game, but i suspect it'll be a microtransaction mess. 2k don't miss opportunities to make money.

https://www.ign.com/articles/pga-tour-2k21-on-course-for-august

• Registered Users Posts: 11,910 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Kiith wrote: »
    PGA Golf 2K21 is due out in August. I love a good golf game, but i suspect it'll be a microtransaction mess. 2k don't miss opportunities to make money.

Want the wind to blow harder in the game. Well that's going to be €1.99 ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,811 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Kiith wrote: »

https://www.ign.com/articles/pga-tour-2k21-on-course-for-august

Just what The Golf Club needed..... Rap.

Hello fellow kids....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Just what The Golf Club needed..... Rap.

Hello fellow kids....

Snoop Dog does voiceover explaining the type of grass used on each course.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,390 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Snoop Dog does voiceover explaining the type of grass used on each course.

ScrawnyTautHawaiianmonkseal-size_restricted.gif

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

dreamers75 wrote: »

Was The War Z a free-to-play or priced game - and did it have micro-transactions? Cos this line feels pertinent to why he's persisting :D
    a controversial DayZ clone that, despite its largely negative reception, was still played by over 25 million people

Some games could only dream of those kind of player numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,161 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I see Saints Row 3: Remastered is out this week. Think I'll get that. They went a bit too far with the wackiness for SR4 but 3 was definitely the best of the series and for me it's infinitely more fun than any of the GTA games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

J. Marston wrote: »
    I see Saints Row 3: Remastered is out this week. Think I'll get that. They went a bit too far with the wackiness for SR4 but 3 was definitely the best of the series and for me it's infinitely more fun than any of the GTA games.

Was thinking of getting it too. There are a few videos of gameplay on YouTube and you can definitely see a difference in graphics, especially with the faces.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I liked 4 for being straight up wacky and allowing it. It made me superhuman and did it well for the time. I felt 3 was an inferior version of 2, and 2 is amazing. But they do look to have done a really good job of the remaster. Will pick it up at some stage.

"One of the best remasters we've seen."

Good to hear. Downloading it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

I really want to see how it performs in co-op and later in the game
    when S.T.A.G. show up and you get access to more powerful weapons and vehicles.
    I remember on the 360 it would really chug at that point, that's when it was really being tested.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Watched Mortal Kombat Scorpions revenge this week, not bad tbh

I know they wanted an R rating but after a while its just blood and body parts for the sake of it.

Would watch more less mindless gore and more targetted gore tho.

ERG89 wrote: »
    I really want to see how it performs in co-op and later in the game
    when S.T.A.G. show up and you get access to more powerful weapons and vehicles.
    I remember on the 360 it would really chug at that point, that's when it was really being tested.

It looks very nice and runs quite well (on a base PS4) so far although I haven't reached the stage you mentioned yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,036 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I never claim to be great at games, but I'm always surprised when I'm struggling with a boss in a game, slowly chipping away at its energy for about 10 minutes before dying at about the halfway point. Then when I die enough times, I look up a video and see the length is only a few minutes, including boss intro and defeat animations.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,930 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

CastorTroy wrote: »
    I never claim to be great at games, but I'm always surprised when I'm struggling with a boss in a game, slowly chipping away at its energy for about 10 minutes before dying at about the halfway point. Then when I die enough times, I look up a video and see the length is only a few minutes, including boss intro and defeat animations.
    I would consider myself an expert or an amateur expert having played and completed basically everything worth playing on all platforms since the early nineties and before that but sometimes I run into a boss like the Dancer of the Boreal Valley in Dark Souls and a couple of Sekiro bosses and I just cant do it, Ill have a lump in my throat like a frustrated child when Im looking up how to do it on Youtube, Souls games are just bad for your mental health :D

• Registered Users Posts: 29,036 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Oh, I've been playing since the 80s, Spectrum, NES, Amiga on. Just never dedicated loads of time. Might get hooked into a game then when done mightn't play anything for a long time after. I blame getting a job.

And speaking of guides, I was looking up a text walkthrough as was stuck on an enemy. Of course this was one of those walkthroughs that went with "enter the room. You'll encounter a new type of enemy. defeat it and go through the next door". Yeah that's useful

• Advertisement

NoClip's latest is a monster, 1.5 hours covering the history of Arkane Studios; really fascinating stuff - not least for the footage of 3 cancelled games never seen before (including Half Life: Ravenholm). Not sure I could put up with three successive failures at a single place of work, that's some gumption to keep going.

Advertisement