Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

• I do and yes, I have.

There might have been a small number of games in the launch year on other consoles, but at least they didn't push out as many indie games as the Switch has.

Switch currently has more non indie titles out than both the PS4 and Xbox had within its first 6 months of launch. Again the facts say otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Whats with the obsessive defensiveness of the Switch?

No-one here is saying it's rubbish, hasn't enough overall games, is performing poorly or hasn't enough quality games.

I've owned every Nintendo Console since the SNES and tbh for the last 3 -> 4 generations getting 10 great 1st party games has always been enough to make the machine worth the money, and thats 10 games released over 2 or 3 years

As of Friday, there are 6 good 1st party games out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

With the Switch, it's definitely quantity over quality. Having said that, the new Mario game, which is out this Friday, might change everything.

It's also only out 6 months, need to give it time. Most consoles don't have a great selection of quality games for the first year at least.

Look no further than Killzone or Resistance.
    No one remembers them as the defining P2 or P3 games tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

No-one here is saying it's rubbish, hasn't enough overall games, is performing poorly or hasn't enough quality games.

I've owned every Nintendo Console since the SNES and tbh for the last 3 -> 4 generations getting 10 great 1st party games has always been enough to make the machine worth the money, and thats 10 games released over 2 or 3 years

It's bizarre. Sligeach repeatedly has to defend his very reasonable case for not buying one. It's very simple, he owns a Wii U. Wii U owners who don't want to play on the go have next to no reason to own one right now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

Indeed, but man Resistance was soo much fun online. I think the second one had 64 player maps which was great fun.

It's bizarre. Sligeach repeatedly has to defend his very reasonable case for not buying one. It's very simple, he owns a Wii U. Wii U owners who don't want to play on the go have next to no reason to own one right now.

I only use the Nintendo sub-forum to for the People vs Sligeach tbh, let's hope the case continues soon :(

Benzino wrote: »
    Indeed, but man Resistance was soo much fun online. I think the second one had 64 player maps which was great fun.

I still think Heavenly Sword was a great game and it's 6-axis controller use was fun and interesting.

I'll die on that hill under attack by my critical betters and purists any day of the week :pac:

• Whats with the obsessive defensiveness of the Switch?

It's replying with simple facts. Why is this obsessive?
    This type post actually only adds unnecessary fuel when it's not needed.

Yes I have read otherwise so not true.

Quote sligeach

"This week's Media Create sales are in. Switch sales are down slightly. PS4 sales are up. The only new software entry on a Nintendo device is NBA 2K18. To say its sales are disappointing would be an understatement."

When someone actually addressed it he just ignored it.

He was was called out in the Nintendo forum for consistently doing this and he threw the toys out the pram.

"A lot of the developers haven't really backed the Switch. EA have only given us a watered down FIFA."

Here he simply negated to even mention Bethesda to good effect.

This website is not a blog, it's a forum. If somebody posts something don't be surprised if someone challenges you on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Saruhashi

To be honest, I see it as calling out low quality and lazy criticisms.

For example, the console launched with Breath of the Wild but Mario Odyssey is the first blockbuster release?

People like me are going to take that bait. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Ah, seriously, can this all not go in the Nintendo forum?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,212 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Killzone is ****e
    Resistance was utter ****e....

Just to clarify

M!Ck^ wrote: »

Alright, maybe I picked up on it wrong

• Alright, maybe I picked up on it wrong

It's fine no worries, No hard feelings either.
    We all like games lads :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,212 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

You seem to have a spurs in your side 're the switch John.

Oops typo spur I meant 😂😉

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Ah now in fairness, whether your on his side of the 'argument' or not, you know very well that it's not just been a case of a Wii U owner making a case for not buying a Switch. Why would anyone make this 'case' on an almost daily basis? I'm a Wii U owner with a Switch who spends the majority of time playing through a TV, although the portability and it's ease has surprised me and got to play it a lot more that way. Saying there's next to no reason is not true and that can only be applied to individual opinion of that said person. If I went into any specific forum and was relentlessly negative about the subject of that forum, I'd expect criticism too. This whole 'Everyone v sligeach' is utter bull****, and in fairness I doubt the users on here who don't peruse the Nintendo forum would like to hear about it either, including my post in that :P

• Registered Users Posts: 17,358 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

M!Ck^ wrote: »

Yes I have read otherwise so not true.

Quote sligeach

"This week's Media Create sales are in. Switch sales are down slightly. PS4 sales are up. The only new software entry on a Nintendo device is NBA 2K18. To say its sales are disappointing would be an understatement."

When someone actually addressed it he just ignored it.

He was was called out in the Nintendo forum for consistently doing this and he threw the toys out the pram.

"A lot of the developers haven't really backed the Switch. EA have only given us a watered down FIFA."

Here he simply negated to even mention Bethesda to good effect.

This website is not a blog, it's a forum. If somebody posts something don't be surprised if someone challenges you on it.

I'm a Nintendo only gamer as you should well know. So of course I will comment on Nintendo. Oh and your cough cough Bethesda comment. 3 games, port, port, original. Get some Benylin, it should clear that cough right up. ;)

• sligeach wrote: »
    I'm a Nintendo only gamer as you should well know. So of course I will comment on Nintendo. Oh and your cough cough Bethesda comment. 3 games, port, port, original. Get some Benylin, it should clear that cough right up. ;)

Again no issues with commenting. This is not a blog. Post whatever you want. But except posters to respond.

3 of Bethesdas top titles. So that is clearly a publisher supporting the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Considering the age rating on nintendo games;nintendo fans get pretty rowdy when nintendo is questioned:P

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

EoinHef wrote: »
    Considering the age rating on nintendo games;nintendo fans get pretty rowdy when nintendo is questioned:P
    Nice opinion you have there, be a shame if something happened to it...

giphy.gif

• Advertisement

Corholio wrote: »
    Ah now in fairness, whether your on his side of the 'argument' or not, you know very well that it's not just been a case of a Wii U owner making a case for not buying a Switch. Why would anyone make this 'case' on an almost daily basis? I'm a Wii U owner with a Switch who spends the majority of time playing through a TV, although the portability and it's ease has surprised me and got to play it a lot more that way. Saying there's next to no reason is not true and that can only be applied to individual opinion of that said person. If I went into any specific forum and was relentlessly negative about the subject of that forum, I'd expect criticism too. This whole 'Everyone v sligeach' is utter bull****, and in fairness I doubt the users on here who don't peruse the Nintendo forum would like to hear about it either, including my post in that :P

That's simply not true. And there's people on the Nintendo forum that aren't willing to accept any criticism of Nintendo. And have to constantly defend them. They're not infallible, far from it. I'm expressing my opinion about the Switch, some of which is fact, but even here it can't go unchallenged. I haven't posted in the Nintendo forums for over 3 weeks and apart from the past couple of days, I think I've one other post in this forum during the same time.

sligeach wrote: »
    That's simply not true. And there's people on the Nintendo forum that aren't willing to accept any criticism of Nintendo. And have to constantly defend them. They're not infallible, far from it. I'm expressing my opinion about the Switch, some of which is fact, but even here it can't go unchallenged. I haven't posted in the Nintendo forums for over 3 weeks and apart from the past couple of days, I think I've one other post in this forum during the same time.

Look, I don't think anyone wants to constantly argue about stuff all the time. The whole thing about people supposedly not willing to accept any criticism, that's not true imo, it's just this easy, throw away line to say to defend constant criticism. It's the criticism that is repeated over and over and in agenda form. Of course Nintendo are infallible, there has been plenty of criticism from people about Nintendo, loads of it fully deserved. The daily basis thing was before you opted not to be on the forum, while it mightn't statistically been on a daily basis it was pretty damn often in fairness. This whole positioning that you're the only one or the few to criticise Nintendo or the Switch etc is just completely not true at all, it's the relentless criticism of it that irks people. Stuff like wondering how anyone who says they like the Joy Cons can keep a straight face, that kind of stuff. It's never anything other than just a simple difference of opinion and regardless of where someone posts, never any hard feelings.

Won't be posting anymore about this here, feel free to reply over on Nintendo forum as I'm sure they are sick of this here now :P

Corholio wrote: »
    Look, I don't think anyone wants to constantly argue about stuff all the time. The whole thing about people supposedly not willing to accept any criticism, that's not true imo, it's just this easy, throw away line to say to defend constant criticism. It's the criticism that is repeated over and over and in agenda form. Of course Nintendo are infallible, there has been plenty of criticism from people about Nintendo, loads of it fully deserved. The daily basis thing was before you opted not to be on the forum, while it mightn't statistically been on a daily basis it was pretty damn often in fairness. This whole positioning that you're the only one or the few to criticise Nintendo or the Switch etc is just completely not true at all, it's the relentless criticism of it that irks people. Stuff like wondering how anyone who says they like the Joy Cons can keep a straight face, that kind of stuff. It's never anything other than just a simple difference of opinion and regardless of where someone posts, never any hard feelings.

Won't be posting anymore about this here, feel free to reply over on Nintendo forum as I'm sure they are sick of this here now :P

You mean Nintendo are fallible.

You mean Nintendo are fallible.

Yes, meant to be 'aren't'

It could but I don't want to post there.

So nobody wants you posting here. And nobody really wants you posting there either.

Take the hint mate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Alright, maybe I picked up on it wrong

I'll be honest, I originally had the same idea as you (don't own a Switch and having been away from games for nearly a decade until last year, really don't get the whole Xbox/PS/PC/Nintendo fan agenda bullsh*ttery)... but the whole 'first blockbuster game' and a few other comments like that were real headscratchers. Nintendo seem to have absolutely nailed it so far this year, occupy a different part of the market to Xbox/PS, and Mario looks like it's going to be excellent (Mario 64 was my favourite ever game up until Witcher 3, but I thought the 3D World and Mario Maker stuff by comparison was incredibly lazy and boring looking to be honest) which could be two huge hits within 6-7 months from launch on top of some other very good performers.

If Mario Odyssey really, really hit the spot there's a very solid chance the top two spots on the vast majority of top 5/10 end of year lists as well almost all the awards could wind up being swept by Nintendo. I don't know that they've have been in a position like that since the 1990s?

I like that personally, it's good to see Nintendo try their weird sh** (by industry standards) and always look to be creative, while I'm on PC myself and would likely go PS/XB over Nintendo were PCs to magically vanish tomorrow, it's still very important in my opinion to have viable companies really looking to think outside the box.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭earthwormjack

So nobody wants you posting here. And nobody really wants you posting there either.

Take the hint mate.

I wouldn't mind him posting there again because he was lightning quick with gaming news, whether it was good or bad.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

There's a question then that should be asked.
    You are disparaging about Doom and Skyrim coming to the Switch, but as a Nintendo only gamer this will be the first time you'll get to play them.
    So celebrate instead of finding their release a source of misery.
    Plus, they herald better things on the horizon, such as Wolfenstein II next year.

Take the hint mate.

Well done. You win the "Clueless Post of the Week" Award. You don't know what you're talking about. I took a self imposed sabbatical from the Nintendo forum.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Well done. You win the "Clueless Post of the Week" Award. You don't know what you're talking about. I took a self imposed sabbatical from the Nintendo forum.

I think the dour stuff just got to people, despite the quality of your other posts.
    Plus I think a shark was jumped when you based an opinion on the Joycons based on a demo unit, which aren't weighted the same.

But this really isn't the thread to be digging this stuff up again.

I'd respect the instruction of the mod tbh.

Advertisement