Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

I'm playing The Council at the moment which is a decent, episodic mystery game. It's got a nice RPG style system in it and the game makes it feel like your choices matter. It lacks a little polish in presentation but it's definitely keeping me interested and is a much better episodic game than the ones Telltale were churning out. The full season only costs €7.50 on the PS Store

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Return of the Obra Dinn showed up and redefined the genre :)

Oh yeah, forgot about that; though probably because that colour scheme / art style is the single big reason I've not played the game. Very headache inducing for me...
    The Nal wrote: »

It's a wonder they got as far as they did; or that they thought they could even make this without legal departments taking note, ignoring the graveyard of mods with "Cease and Desist" on their tombstones...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,723 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

pixelburp wrote: »
    It's a wonder they got as far as they did; or that they thought they could even make this without legal departments taking note, ignoring the graveyard of mods with "Cease and Desist" on their tombstones...

Crazy alright yeah. They could still make it but just not as Bond. Exact same except call it SilverEar.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I feel really dumb that it took me way more than a weekend.... and I didn't finish it.

Yeah i got to the end and then realised i should have been looking through a notebook to help discover who the crew were instead of just the sequences you come across, it was at that point i said "Fvck sake" and put it down to play it again another time :(:mad:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

pixelburp wrote: »
    Oh yeah, forgot about that; though probably because that colour scheme / art style is the single big reason I've not played the game. Very headache inducing for me...

There are a bunch of visual options in the game that could help you in that regard - they don’t fundamentally change the art style, but certainly scope to change the colour scheme and the like :)

If you do get past the visuals, can’t recommend the game enough - truly and immediately one of the all time greats, and just the most inspired realisation of deduction and detective work in any game. Hard to go back to ‘press R for detective mode’ after it for sure :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,604 ✭✭✭✭Penn

• Registered Users Posts: 12,535 ✭✭✭✭Varik

That's a big kick in the teeth for MS.

Might not have been exclusive to the series X but it would have been a big seller for the console coming into Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,390 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Wasn’t that meant to be a launch title for the Series X? That’s a pretty hefty blow for Microsoft.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,535 ✭✭✭✭Varik

martyos121 wrote: »
    Wasn’t that meant to be a launch title for the Series X? That’s a pretty hefty blow for Microsoft.

It was December and since we don't have a Series X date it's hard to say.

It wouldn't have been far behind, and for a lot it would have been waiting under a tree with the console even if they were a bit apart in release.

I think that goes to show how big a decision it was, and in all fairness to them and as with other recent delay announcements, part of it comes down to Covid but another big part is that they know the crunch required to avoid the delay isn't worth it. Whether that's because they genuinely care about the wellbeing of their team or they know they'll be dragged over the coals like others have been and want to avoid bad publicity, who knows. But so long as the staff aren't being subjected to insane crunch (with or without covid being a threat), I'd call it a win.

It's a shame for the XBSX launch, but I'd say the vast majority who were going to get one for Xmas will still do so given the backwards compatibility and Gamepass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

How long has it been in development for?
    Looked like a 360 title when they showed it last month so not surprised they are putting a bit more spit and polish on it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I can’t imagine the pressure launching a game of that scale is during the current conditions, especially with a *hard* deadline of a console launch. Surely the reaction to the demo was a factor too, but can definitely it let believe COVID has seriously thrown schedules off balance. Can’t begrudge delays at the best of times, but doubly so at the moment.

Hopefully it doesn’t mean extra months of high-pressure work for staff.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Must be harder to instill crunch with a workforce remote and at home. I'd say a lot of dev shops are realising it's harder to coordinate and crack the whip with everyone distanced by necessity - and no sign of it lessening. Not impossible to overwork from home mind you; as someone who was working remotely anyway prior to CoVid I've long argued you end up working way more (no commute, fewer meetings and in office distractions etc). I also reckon a good few months in companies was spent just getting the logistics sorted before they could even ramp production back to anything close to parity. Source control, asset management and so on, all requiring VPNs and external coordination...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

It seems memes are the new way of delaying games so they're properly polished :pac:

• Just invest in a decent PC
    You can play all the games from Microsoft on Gamespass

And then you get the benifits of the PC platform (Steam ect)

Complemented by a Switch and a PS5

All avenues covered.

Series X is pointless IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 29,034 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Had to laugh recently when I was in a second hand book shop. They do other stuff as well and I saw Commodore 64 games. Think was 1.99 per game.

Been playing a bit of There Is No Game: Wrong Dimension for the past few nights and it's been a grand old time indeed. It's a sequel / expansion to a free game from a few years ago (I haven't played it). You've likely played these sort of twisty, meta-spoofs before with the likes of Pony Island, Frog Fractions or The Stanley Parable, but this one still has plenty of fun tricks up its sleeve. An awful lot of thought and affection has gone into the different sections you encounter, and there's lots of rule breaking and fresh design ideas while still being deeply indebted to the point n click classics of old.

Certainly well worth the tenner from my 90 minutes or so with it so far :)

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭one armed dwarf

It should also be noted that the creative director of Halo left midway through dev, COVID was probably the accelerant for whatever fire this game might be in.

I hope it turns out well, I don't get schadenfruede or whatever out of things like this. Hopefully the delay doesn't just mean protracted crunch.

Xbox launch is kinda ****ed now tho

Heads up for anyone that might be interested that the just released new Total War game is randomly (and by randomly I mean 'publisher was handed a sack of money with a dollar sign on it') free on the Epic Game Store until lunchtime tomorrow. Remnant From The Ashes is also free from today as part of their weekly giveaway, plus the Alto Collection (port of some very cool and chill mobile games - no idea how they'll translate to PC).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

The Last Guardian is the perfect length of 12+hrs. The best console game of this generation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭quokula

I bounced off Last Guardian. Played a few hours but just seemed to always be randomly wandering around waiting for the creature to do whatever it was going to do to let me move on, the game never flowed and it never felt natural.

Which is a pity because SOTC was one of my all time favourite games and I was really looking forward to it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,279 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

RasTa wrote: »
    The Last Guardian is the perfect length of 12+hrs. The best console game of this generation.

Maybe it is but I might never find out as the framerate made me feel physically sick. Wasn't that great to control either and the framerate exasperated that.

What I did play was me using the creature as an elaborate feathery crate to reach higher ledges.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,408 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I'd probably understand this grey morality thing better if I watched in game cut scenes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

gimli2112 wrote: »
    I'd probably understand this grey morality thing better if I watched in game cut scenes

Did you not watch the in game cut scenes in TLOU2?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Maybe it is but I might never find out as the framerate made me feel physically sick. Wasn't that great to control either and the framerate exasperated that.

What I did play was me using the creature as an elaborate feathery crate to reach higher ledges.

Oh we have already found out. I do get motion sickness but frame rate isn't an issue. Only game that made me feel sick was Portal.

You must have been getting sick a lot back in the PS days.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,279 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It's inconsistent framerate that does it for me. Currently playing the god awful port of FF13-2 on PC and getting the same effect in some areas.

PS1 and saturn games were fine. Mostly managed to keep a consistent but low framerate. The N64 on the other hand... some of the non Nintendo games were very hard to play.

The Last Guardian though is the worst I can remember in a long time and the way the character lurches and falls over everything coupled with the framerate induced lag... I bounced off it.

Saying that it's probably the next PS4 game I play once I get around to finishing TLOU2.

Never played The Last Guardian but the PS4 Shadow of The Colossus has been calling to me the last few days. Never played the original.

The Last Guardian is low-key one of the greatest games of all time - truly beautiful experience to play through, and at least on a par with the transcendent Ico (I’ve always been a little bit cooler on SotC, which is still magnificent). A remaster for PS5 could be a really, really special thing.

• Advertisement

The Last Guardian is low-key one of the greatest games of all time - truly beautiful experience to play through. A remaster for PS5 could be a really, really special thing.

Did you play it on Pro? It's horrible to play on the base console but heard it's much better on pro.

Advertisement