Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

The video game industry sells women being skinned alive as entertainment (MK) but don't they dare strike a sexy pose? Feck that noise. Games aren't realistic and even if they were it's ridiculous to think that there'd be no women who act suggestively if they were given the kind of strength some fictional characters have. There's women IRL who get just a wiff of fame and suddenly they're flaunting their asses all over TV. Can you imagine the sheer levels of bitch that would be going on if someone had the fighting and thievery skills as catwoman as portrayed in the Arkham series? Lord have mercy.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,810 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

From the woman who wrote the letter, she now wants her name removed from the Suicide Squad game credits. This is tough as she sounds so passionate about her job and this game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

T&A sells, i'm 37 and it still sells to me.

Tbf, you've stated repeatedly on here that you've abdicated completely from the adult world and I'm pretty sure you said in another thread that you would rather live fulll time in a fantasy world so you'd hardly be indicative of the average 37 year old.

For me, the exaggerated sexuality of some of the female characters in the Arkham games is toe-curling.
    Games aren't realistic and even if they were it's ridiculous to think that there'd be no women who act suggestively if they were given the kind of strength some fictional characters have. There's women IRL who get just a wiff of fame and suddenly they're flaunting their asses all over TV. Can you imagine the sheer levels of bitch that would be going on if someone had the fighting and thievery skills as catwoman as portrayed in the Arkham series? Lord have mercy.

Lord have mercy is right. I take it your single, Rob...

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Parsnips

NOTE.. There are women who have huge chest and dress scantily and use it to there benefit and there are women who dont have shapes like this and also dress scantily. There are women of all shapes and sizes and all behave differently. Each to their own.

Millions of woman make the living from this consensually. Some game s portray it like this and others dont.

I personally love a bit of skin but I do find the Male warrior armour verses Female warrior armour absolutely hilarious and certainly smacks of male idiocy but if a game is rated 18 thats the end of the arguement IMO.

More 18cert games and more skin says I. and definitlely more bouncing. ( do they not bounce in real life ) :)

For me, the exaggerated sexuality of some of the female characters in the Arkham games is toe-curling.
    That is honestly sad :pac:
    Cordell wrote: »
    Not all of them, some won't, some need virtualization or emulation, but indeed you have a good chance to play anything released for PC from the beginning of time, which is not the case with consoles.
    For older games linux is sometimes even a better choice at running them than windows 10. Boxtron is an option if you want DOS games, too. But yeah being able to play your original Doom copies is pretty neat thing about PC. Consoles are milking the feck out of 'remasters'. Along with their subscription fees it seems like a total racket to me.

In news, just found out Hitman's Ghost Mode is getting shut down
    https://nichegamer.com/2020/08/18/hitman-3-game-mode-detailed/

It was kind of a weird mode. Frustrating most of the time but not completely without merit. Imo it's a really lame move for them to shut it down considering it probably costs next to nothing to run. I figured it was mostly peer-to-peer anyway.

My dream of an online mode for Hitman was always a post-game detective mode. As in you load up someone else's finished game and look for clues like bullet holes, cartridges, stab wounds and talk to witnesses. If they left behind a lot of evidence and/or a detective was thorough they would gain notieriety like in Blood Money. I'm 100% they'll never implement anything like that, though.
    Parsnips wrote: »
    ( do they not bounce in real life )
    They do :) Also male armor can be just as dumb.

kbdZK.png
    pictured: Average male with realistic body standards

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,279 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The good looking girls in games could at least dress appropriately for the situation. No way are the girls in the Arkham games going to realistically take part in their antics dressed like that. FFVII tifa at least wears a sports bra.

And that's the different. The stuff in arkham is just there to be skeevy. It's ridiculous.

:)

Sex sells.
    If there is someone in any industry that is trying to change that, they are in for a hell of a headache.
    Im all for education and equality and as a Husband and a Father I practice what I preach but Im not blind to how the real world works.

Boobs FTW

• Registered Users Posts: 23,161 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

It's comic book stuff for goodness sake. I doubt Batman's cowl offers top tier tactical advantage. Or armour plating in the shape of rock hard pecs and abs.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,323 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

:)

Sex sells.
    If there is someone in any industry that is trying to change that, they are in for a hell of a headache.
    Im all for education and equality and as a Husband and a Father I practice what I preach but Im not blind to how the real world works.

Boobs FTW

If sex sells, why has every other medium dropped it as a tactic? At least as overtly compared to before. TV, film, advertisements: the old tactic of lying a "hot" woman across the car, or having a scene with her bennnnnnding down for the audience to leer at is broadly extinct. Cos - and cue Metal Gear Solid "surprise sound" - there are more demographics with disposable income or interest than "horny man children". Maybe the internet just killed it off; any and all fetishes are catered for within a single discreet google search, so on-screen titilation ain't hard to access and comes across quite tame.

Now, to be fair, Arkham and maybe the MK games are the only major AAA titles that I can think of that still lean towards obvious horndog placation - and it's very telling how OTT some MK fans went when the dev toned down the **** ammunition - but if sex still sold then most AAA games would still be smothered with it.

Quite the opposite: many studios are going out of their way to distance themselves from that adolescent approach. AAA studios want to be "taken seriously". Doesn't seem to have affected sales in the long run. Though given the reaction of TLOU2 & the presence of muscles on a woman, there are still some expecting certain masturbation preferences ;)

J. Marston wrote: »
    It's comic book stuff for goodness sake. I doubt Batman's cowl offers top tier tactical advantage. Or armour plating in the shape of rock hard pecs and abs.

And dont forget the Batsuit Nipples.
    Hilarious.

• Advertisement

pixelburp wrote: »
    If sex sells, why has every other medium dropped it as a tactic? At least as overtly compared to before. TV, film, advertisements: the old tactic of lying a "hot" woman across the car, or having a scene with her bennnnnnding down for the audience to leer at is broadly extinct. Cos - and cue Metal Gear Solid "surprise sound" - there are more demographics with disposable income or interest than "horny man children". Maybe the internet just killed it off; any and all fetishes are catered for within a single discreet google search, so on-screen titilation ain't hard to access and comes across quite tame.

Now, to be fair, Arkham and maybe the MK games are the only major AAA titles that I can think of that still lean towards obvious horndog placation - and it's very telling how OTT some MK fans went when the dev toned down the **** ammunition - but if sex still sold then most AAA games would still be smothered with it.

Quite the opposite: many studios are going out of their way to distance themselves from that adolescent approach. AAA studios want to be "taken seriously". Doesn't seem to have affected sales in the long run. Though given the reaction of TLOU2 & the presence of muscles on a woman, there are still some expecting certain masturbation preferences ;)

hehe. TLOU2 is a good example.
    As I said ....Women come in all shapes and sizes and attitudes.
    to deny the big busted is discrimination

I think you'll find Naughty Dog actually went broke because they went woke.

Well, that's what I was told was going to happen...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,323 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

hehe. TLOU2 is a good example.
    As I said ....Women come in all shapes and sizes and attitudes.
    to deny the big busted is discrimination

If you're being sincere, then sure, presenting different body sizes is a good thing - you got Zarya in Overwatch in that "big bust" category for instance - but naw. We both know that's not what is being talked about; this is about presenting women in games purely and explicitly as **** fodder, not some noble question of inclusivity. Whataboutery about batsuits doesn't track because that's just a silly aesthetic choice over musculature; this is about computer generated women built to give the player a semi. Probably because fadó, games were seen as predominantly played by sex-starved men, or horny adolescents who could get off sitting on a clothes dryer - and those trailing edges still pop up (phwoar!) in games like the Arkham series. I'm old enough to remember the old gaming magazines from the 80/90s - christ they used to put boobs on graphics card promos / boxes.

And sure. I would never shame anyone about whatever turned them on (within the realms of legality of course). Whatever makes people happy. But games are different now, played by different people and different demographics. Context matters, and reflecting that isn't weakness, or SJW or whatever. And if there are gamers who desperately need their CGI women to be worth **** to, well that's a problem that goes beyond the thread and the medium TBH :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭quokula

Speaking of the Metal Gear Solid "surprise sound", Japanese games still seem to be way behind the curve on this. Which is a pity because there are many fantastic Japanese games that are well worth playing, but often feature pretty cringeworthy content with questionable outfits and more questionable cutscene camera angles, that make you embarrassed to play them at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,161 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Context matters. Is cleavage a big deal in the skin-tight world of superheroes and supervillains? Not to me.

But if Ellie was wearing booty shorts while trekking through Seattle I'd be thinking "What the fúck?"

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

I can't find many catwoman designs that hasn't been designed, drawn or played in a tight (often leather)catsuit so its hard to make her unsexualised from first appearance. Like Michelle Phiffer dressed basically all in leather for what was a slightly scary kids movie. Plus from when they first meet she has a hold over Batman that no other villain has so she has to have some way of achieving that in some way, especially if they don't even know each others identity. Maybe Christopher Nolan's Selina Kyle but she still wore a leather catsuit in that. Not sure just zipping up her top would be seen as hugely progressive for the characters design when she often tries to flirt her way out if trouble.

Maybe its different for Poison Ivy but, a part of her character is controlling men/superheroes (often with some sort of pheromone) without loving them. But even then men have to be lured to her for a reason. Thugs help Joker/Penguin for money and power they help Poison Ivy because they have no choice.

Harley Quinn is always played quite ditsy but again plenty of sexualisation in her character prior to the games. The batman animated series where she was created had her trying to seduce Joker a few times asking if he wanted to "rev his harley". Looking at movies, again her looks are in full force there too. She is entirely controlled by her love of Joker to the point that she isn't exactly a healthy starting point for a female character anyway.

Oracle, Talia, Batwoman, Shiva, Copperhead or Vicki Vale aren't particularly eye candy characters imo.

If history has shown anything it's those signaling things to 'mature' that are the horny man children.
    C.S. Lewis wrote:
    Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.
    quokula wrote: »
    Japanese games still seem to be way behind the curve on this.
    I hope they stay 'behind'

urdLVES.png

J. Marston wrote: »
    Context matters. Is cleavage a big deal in the skin-tight world of superheroes and supervillains? Not to me.

But if Ellie was wearing booty shorts while trekking through Seattle I'd be thinking "What the fúck?"

Actually that does remind; waiting on a YouTube video, I got yet another advert for one of those many shovelware "zombie survival" Android games - and it was basically 30 seconds of a CGI ass. That wasn't the actual visual messaging of the advert, but that's where the camera was. It was quite the throwback.

I hope they stay 'behind'

urdLVES.png

Yes, because that is the only two ways that female characters can be represented in videogames...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,279 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

quokula wrote: »
    Speaking of the Metal Gear Solid "surprise sound", Japanese games still seem to be way behind the curve on this. Which is a pity because there are many fantastic Japanese games that are well worth playing, but often feature pretty cringeworthy content with questionable outfits and more questionable cutscene camera angles, that make you embarrassed to play them at times.

Japanese culture being as it is means you have to leave childish things (well seen as childish in japanese society) behind such as videogames, comics and anime once you get a job which means media is catering for a young audience or the social recluses that haven't moved on from that media. Usually these recluses are very nerdy with.... needs. Also that kind of life style leads japanese people to be very nostalgic for school and college where their lives were still full of possibility and not stuck in a dead end job for life. It means a lot of their media is skewed towards younger characters. Also traditional console games aren't doing so well in japan so tend to appeal to the recluse otaku crowd which means they have to have waifu characters for them to fall in love with.

• Advertisement

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Japanese culture being as it is means you have to leave childish things (well seen as childish in japanese society) behind such as videogames, comics and anime once you get a job which means media is catering for a young audience or the social recluses that haven't moved on from that media. Usually these recluses are very nerdy with.... needs. Also that kind of life style leads japanese people to be very nostalgic for school and college where their lives were still full of possibility and not stuck in a dead end job for life. It means a lot of their media is skewed towards younger characters. Also traditional console games aren't doing so well in japan so tend to appeal to the recluse otaku crowd which means they have to have waifu characters for them to fall in love with.

That sounds utterly depressing.

That sounds utterly depressing.

Obviously full off-topic now, but I've read a little about the Japanese "salary man" culture (and wouldn't claim expertise), and it appears lightyears away from anything remotely equivalent to the normal office workplace we might be used to. So regimented and draconian, it's funny in the 21st century to read of a country still so steeped in a class or caste based system. Especially one with whom we share quite a lot of social and technological links. It's a fascinating "developed" country that can read so very alien at times, yet familiar.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,604 ✭✭✭✭Penn

"Waaahhhh waaahhh waahhhh.... the women in my games aren't sexy enough..... waaahhhhh"

F*cking pathetic....

On an unrelated note, I'm upgrading my PC to play games. Where's the best site to download nude mods?

It is and it's bad for videogames out media like anime. I won't go into how bad anime has become since it's being dominated by skeeve and Isekai garbage.

For games it means a lot of talent is wasted on skeevy games like Criminal Girls, headed up by a fantastic game designer that got his start on Trauma Centre and Etrian Odyssey. The maturity in japanese games has hit rock bottom with some outliers like the Souls games. It just seems like we won't ever get another Suikoden 2 or Tactics Ogre without them being filled with scantily clad school girls. Just look at what Fire Emblem has become and compare that to Genealogy of War. One is a waifu simulator and the other is regarded as being up there with Tactics Ogre for a great political and hard hitting story.

It's a shame because I put up with this because I still think japanese developers are some of the best in the world when it comes to actual game design and mechanics. At least we have western developers giving them a run for their money there now with stuff like Blazing chrome and Cuphead nailing the contra formula for instance.

Penn wrote: »
    "Waaahhhh waaahhh waahhhh.... the women in my games are too sexy..... waaahhhhh"

Japan not giving a feck about puritans makes me smile.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Always lost in the inevitable outrage of these conversations, but it's very possible to roll ones eyes at some of the more absurd proportions of some video game women and not be puritanical about sex either. It's all about how these things are handled: Normal People has received little but praise (and some Liveline outrage) for its frank portrayal of sex and nudity, whereas Michael Bay films are (correctly) mocked for the leery way the camera lingers in slow-motion on a young woman's arse. The former is far more explicit than the latter, but the latter is far more grubby and adolescent.

Same with video games. There's a difference between a tastefully attractive, sexy character (although frankly can't say I've ever found any video game particularly 'sexy' - and I'm especially talking about most of the ones with actual sex scenes :D) and ones that are rendered immediately absurd due to some eagerness to titillate teenage boys or characters who exist solely for someone to gawk at. Outside a tiny number of indie games though, I think as a medium games have been woefully and often hilariously bad at handling anything to do with sex - it's often laugh out loud ridiculous in even the likes of The Witcher 3, which is otherwise pretty good at handling 'mature' themes, but looks absolutely preposterous when the clothes come off.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Anyone playing Spiritfarer? It looks lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,810 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Mr Crispy wrote: »
    Anyone playing Spiritfarer? It looks lovely.

Was gonna ask the same, looks really nice. How much is it going for?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Was gonna ask the same, looks really nice. How much is it going for?

€25 on Steam, I think.

• Advertisement
Advertisement