Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I really liked a lot of stuff about that game, the visuals and the story were great, though the gameplay was a tad stale and opportunities missed in terms of using reality tears.
    The DLC really added to the base game too, again much more to the narrative that I think would actually make the basis for a pretty good book.

A book which will lead to a Netflix series. You could be onto something here lad.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,358 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Sorry to say Sligeach, but I liked Skyward Sword. :) But I was one of the people that had nothing against the motion controls. Though could've done with a lot less Fi.

I liked the motion controls in Skyward Sword too. It was one of the only things the game did right. Apart from the constant recalibration of the Wii remote, it was alright. Otherwise, it was a stinker, not just as a Zelda game.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Am I the only one around here who actually likes Bioshock Infinite?

The original premise was way better than what the game turned out to be. It's obvious after the opening that the game had a difficult development.
    The fact you don't even get to fight Songbird at the end showed me that they left that on the cutting room floor. There was a lot more depth to Elizabeth's AI originally so maybe that played a part. Still the bit where you turned around into the Boys of Silence was genuinely terrifying.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,442 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Playing a bit of Opus Magnum this week. Zachtronics, he of the open-ended puzzle mechanics, is an absurdly talented chap. There's just something oh-so-satisfying about putting together the alchemy machines in the game - extraordinarily geeky and fussy puzzling, but my god there's nothing like seeing one of your elaborate machines come together. Reminds me why I loved Spacechem so much a few years ago!

Doesn't look like much, but staggering mechanical depth (that demands player creativity) opens up as soon as you're past the tutorial.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I too am immersed in a puzzle game.
    Unfortunately it's no more complex than Picross on the, dare I say it, the Switch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

CastorTroy wrote: »
    I keep forgetting the XBox One X is coming out. Maybe I'm just not on the places that would talk about it but just hear very little about it.
    Is it going to have issues with the fact that all games have to work on the standard XBone? Or is it simply a case of the game having a built in condition of "If console = XBox One X then 4K && 120FPS"? :)

Xbox sent out a new game development kit to devs about 7-8 months ago. This one kit is for both Xbox One X and Xbox One S game development. In a game development process they'll start with the 1X version first and then work their way down to the Xbox One S/OG version.

The dev kit has been widely praised for its simplicity and easy to use debugging tools. Which is most likely why we are seeing so many games getting Xbox One X enhancements for launch and beyond.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,084 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Funny reading it that way. Sounds like they're porting from 1X to S/OG. It's what we've come to that ports aren't even from one manufacturer or generation to another. It's within the same generation and console. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,084 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Unfortunately it's no more complex than Picross on the, dare I say it, the Switch.

Those are addictive. Have Picross on my tablet and play it far too long in bed when I should be sleeping.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,387 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I have a stupidly big game collection for my PS2, close to 200 games, and it's all killer, no filler except Firewarrior, just a cracking system.

Fixed your post there.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Fixed your post there.

I feel so violated.....

What's the reporting process for Cat Mod on Cat Mod trolling?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭Inviere

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Although a much bigger leap forward.

The difference is really irrelevant, it's still an Xbox One. That said, I may have a Scorpio Edition preordered....

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Sieghardt

I feel so violated.....

Cat fight, obviously

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

I feel so violated.....

One on one in Mario Kart.

How is Picross? I've had my eye on it since I bought the Switch. Really liked those game(s) on the 3DS.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,686 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I can't work up a head of steam for either of the mid gen refreshes from either Sony or MS, all that investment to play the same games again, albeit more impressive looking?
    I haven't got a 4k set and not likely to soon, so I'll wait until they come down in price, my XBox One and PS4 are working just fine as it is.

For the most part, it doesn't make that much of a difference. Even as great as Horizon Zero Dawn looks in 4K, to me it's really the HDR that makes a far bigger difference than 4K, and the base models of the consoles have HDR ability through a software update anyway.

That said, the choice between bumping from 30fps to 60fps in 1080 is also a nice to have and can make a bigger difference than the 4K too.

There's some amount of salt happening here when you try to discuss the negative aspects of the Switch.

• There's some amount of salt happening here when you try to discuss the negative aspects of the Switch.

What a great addition to the discussion :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    What a great addition to the discussion :rolleyes:

And you kind of just proved his point…

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

I think it's best you and I see other Destiny Clans

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Did anyone pick up this Road Redemption game?
    I liked Road rash back in the Megadrive days, even had a lot of fun with Road Rash 64 even though it was objectively a cr@p game to most probably.
    I mainly use my PC for strategy games, but this looks like it could be fun :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

I like it when I played it too. But I went back and played the first two after it and they were far superior games.

That said, I don't know if it really deserves the mauling it gets these days and the two part story DLC was really enjoyable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

What about the poor xbox one gamers? They have being starving for months. Although I like the look of that cuphead game, thankfully can just get it on PC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

I quite like Bioshock Infinite but had not played the others, the gameplay was quite lacking but I think partly due to it being short that the visuals and whatnot pulled through very well. It does absolutely pale in comparison to something like Doom or Wolfenstein New Order (the latter of which I've got into over the weekend) though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

RasTa wrote: »
    What about the poor xbox one gamers? They have being starving for months. Although I like the look of that cuphead game, thankfully can just get it on PC

Well they have the great XBOX coming, so everything is great over there :pac:

Crackdown still looks pants though.

I loved Bioshock Infinite.

Sure the combat was a bit arena-shooter heavy, but the voice acting, the story itself (arguably even the end reveal), the music, the design of Columbia, the atmosphere of the game, and just the numerous little bits and pieces that rewarded you for straying from the beaten trail (such as the excellent "Let the Circle Be Unbroken" guitar moment and hearing the Orphan kids singing), were all absolutely top notch and well executed.

Sure the combat was a bit arena-shooter heavy, but the voice acting, the story itself (arguably even the end reveal), the music, the design of Columbia, the atmosphere of the game, and just the numerous little bits and pieces that rewarded you for straying from the beaten trail (such as the excellent "Let the Circle Be Unbroken" guitar moment and hearing the Orphan kids singing), were all absolutely top notch and well executed.

Agreed... there was a lot more going on in that game than just the gunplay. Have the BioShock Collection on my PS4 hard drive. One of these days I may even play them... :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,379 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I loved it, loved the world setting,can't understand all the hate really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

One on one in Mario Kart.

Race or battle mode?

• And you kind of just proved his point…

Nope!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,175 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I also loved Infinite. Story was great, and the combat wasn't that bad. Still haven't played the DLC, which i will get around to doing at some stage.

Advertisement