Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I see nothing wrong with it. Just pointing out how little a new console launch actually matters when you consider just what is going on in the world around us. I for one can't feel excited for it and it just seems so weird that this expensive entertainment box is getting released now when they world is the way it is. I can't help but find it a weird juxtaposition. It's such a weird console launch and one I can't really find much enthusiasm for.

What's weird about it? It's a booming industry. It matters more than ever with people stuck at home in need of some light hearted entertainment.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,279 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

BloodBath wrote: »
    There's enough people covering the politics and other nonsense. He's part of a booming industry. His political beliefs have no place in an article like that.

Kotaku were doing this pre covid as well, it's not new. They insert politics into everything.

Frankly they can write whatever they want whether you like it or not. I'd rather that than nerd censorship.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

What is the value of a PS4 500GB with a single controller if I was to sell it and replace with a PS5?

I see gamestop offering 200 euro for a 1TB PS4 but I think thats store credit?

It might end up going to childrens hospital like my old xbox 360 did

If you're not going to get much for it would you not just keep and use it on another TV to remote play your PS5?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

He's not unemployed, he's employed to write articles and review for games and gaming consoles. A form of entertainment and escapism from the BS. He's the definition of an entitled twat who has no idea of what real hardship is.

His political beliefs and Debbie Downer attitude has no place in an article like that but hey it's par for the course for Kotaku even pre Covid.

Not sure how he is the definition of an entitled twat but some compassion wouldn't go astray.

Frankly they can write whatever they want whether you like it or not. I'd rather that than nerd censorship.

Of course they can just as I'm entitled to mock it, better off ignored but it popped up in my feed.

Kotaku won't be around much longer to mock.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,279 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

What's weird about it? It's a booming industry. It matters more than ever with people stuck at home in need of some light hearted entertainment.

The fact that it doesn't fell like a console launch. I didn't even realise the XBox was coming out yesterday until I logged on here. And the fact that it's launching during a time when we are in pandemic and there's political upheaval around the world.

So yeah it's pretty fecking weird and I don't remember it being like this when I queued up outside smyths for my Wii. The whole excitement of the event feels like it's been muted because there's just way more important stuff happening in the world.

There's enough people covering the politics and other nonsense. He's part of a booming industry. His political beliefs have no place in an article like that.

Kotaku were doing this pre covid as well, it's not new. They insert politics into everything.

Are you always this triggered by people talking about politics or is it just politics you don't agree with? Given what is currently unfolding over in the US and the unprecedented nature of it, I could see how it would inform a person's thoughts on the launch of a new console in the middle of this maelstrom.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,619 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I see nothing wrong with it. Just pointing out how little a new console launch actually matters when you consider just what is going on in the world around us. I for one can't feel excited for it and it just seems so weird that this expensive entertainment box is getting released now when they world is the way it is. I can't help but find it a weird juxtaposition. It's such a weird console launch and one I can't really find much enthusiasm for.

i'd be generally defensive of Kotaku and insertion of political thoughts into a gaming sphere - insofar as I thought the Vice review of Miles Morales decidely not touching on the New York Minorities relationship with Police was thought provoking at least.

But in this case..... i just don't see how it is relevant to a review of a console. If it was an op-ed on the general launch of consoles at this time I think the viewpoints are both valid and worthy of discussion. It isn't just an argument from Kotaku that the consoles could and maybe should have been delayed (for various reasons).

You are reviewing a console - talking about tech specs, game play, innovation. Discussion of Biden etc just isn't 'it' for this type of article. (imo, of course)

Are you always this triggered by people talking about politics or is it just politics you don't agree with? Given what is currently unfolding over in the US and the unprecedented nature of it, I could see how it would inform a person's thoughts on the launch of a new console in the middle of this maelstrom.

No I'm not but it doesn't have to be brought into every single ****ing conversation. Some of us want some escapism from the BS.

What's currently unfolding in the US? Over dramatized BS that frankly I couldn't care less about.

That and the fact I haven't slept properly in 2 days from a stupid alarm going off non stop.

i'd be generally defensive of Kotaku and insertion of political thoughts into a gaming sphere - insofar as I thought the Vice review of Miles Morales decidely not touching on the New York Minorities relationship with Police was thought provoking at least.

But in this case..... i just don't see how it is relevant to a review of a console. If it was an op-ed on the general launch of consoles at this time I think the viewpoints are both valid and worthy of discussion. It isn't just an argument from Kotaku that the consoles could and maybe should have been delayed (for various reasons).

You are reviewing a console - talking about tech specs, game play, innovation. Discussion of Biden etc just isn't 'it' for this type of article. (imo, of course)

They aren't calling for it to be delayed.

And also it's a review and they are talking about why you may not be excited about it and think they bring up some very valid points.

You might not like it but everything is political and burying your head in the sand isn't going to help that.

Fortunately for people that are looking for escapism there's two new consoles out that should help if you can afford them!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

What's currently unfolding in the US? Over dramatized BS that frankly I couldn't care less about.

They’ve had one million coronavirus cases in a week. “Over-dramatised” that is not.

If you want non-political PS5 reviews, there are literally dozens of others to choose from.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,324 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

I think that it's fair game to talk about the world in which a product is being launch, to be honest. It's no different to talking about a product with a high price launching during a recession, or similar.

We also don't know what the author is/has gone through. Perhaps his friends/family have been affected by either Covid, or by the rampant racism of their justice system? We don't know, but these things affect people, and can colour their views. Should they make no mention of something that is weighing on them, and possibly affecting their review?

Easy Allies will have the usual man babies getting over excited about what the publishers tell them to get excited about if you don't want politics with your games media.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I fully understand people not being excited for it due to crazy 2020 issues, but its a console review. Talk about the consoles technical specs, performance, games etc...

Have an editorial about how this isn't exciting if you like, but don't include it in the actual review.

Kiith wrote: »
    I fully understand people not being excited for it due to crazy 2020 issues, but its a console review. Talk about the consoles technical specs, performance, games etc...

Have an editorial about how this isn't exciting if you like, but don't include it in the actual review.

He wrote 3,000 words about the PS5 mentioning when you said. Then had the spiel at the end, nothing wrong there imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,810 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Kotaku's Xbox review didn't have any of that so I guess you should only feel bad if you get a PS5. Next year is gonna be a ****show as well, I find it easy to get excited for the PS5 because gaming is my favourite material thing to do and I haven't been able to do that for a few weeks now. Obviously more important stuff going on in the world and have no problem with game journo's writing articles on it and would be interesting but no need for it in a specific console review especially when it's left out of the other console review.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Honestly I just don’t get this idea of reviews being some sacred, idyllic space free of politics or wider context. A review is an opinion piece by its very nature. And even in the most commodified idea of a review as ‘should I buy it or not?’, unprecedented levels of unemployment is hardly an insignificant factor when recommending / not recommending a luxury 500 quid box that does prettier reflections than the box you already have.

As mentioned, the review in question did have thousands of words dedicated to the ‘tech specs, games etc...’ details people are calling for anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,845 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Kotaku is all opinion. Opinions from people you wouldn't cross the street to chat to.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

I dont see the issue, part of a review is advising on the value proposition of a console, and in fairness to both machines, there's little on either that people couldn't do without. Its an american publication, so obviously recommendations stem from that. I see no problem with advising folk that circumstances aren't about to change overnight now that someone new is elected.

and before you cry 'americans arent that stupid' - well the last 2 weeks have shown that it seems like the average Irish person has a better grasp of how their electoral system and mail in voting works than 50% of american voters, so perhaps they need all the spoonfeeding of caution that they can get.

Is the same comment in the Xbox review? Or in every single game review for the last year? Just seems out of place to me.

I get that some think it's ok to have in there, i've just no interest to read about someones struggles with Covid in a console review. I get enough of that literally everywhere else.

• Advertisement

I honestly can't believe people are getting so sensitive about the current political climate being mentioned in a review of a luxury item....

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭SomeSayKos

His political beliefs have no place in an article like that.
    I'm sorry free speech gets you so angry man.

I honestly can't believe people are getting so sensitive about the current political climate being mentioned in a review of a luxury item....

People get offended by everything these days, like AA batteries included in a 2020 console.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Uhmm maybe I'm wired to everyone else but a lot of people are pulling a weirdly negative read of that paragraph, in particular that it's some form of attack on consoles or escapism.

I feel like you are kinda missing the point of the first sentence of the last paragraph
    The harsh truth is that, for the reasons listed above and more, a lot of people simply won’t be able to buy a PlayStation 5, regardless of supply.

I think that regardless of supply comment is important

This reads a lot less like inserting bs and more preparing readers for what will likely be a rather muted launch period, that unlike the last few console generation releases that were big party events with midnight queues and headline news articles about smashing sales records etc this one is probably going to be uneventful by comparison because it is for the reasons listed above a difficult time to have a new console launch.

I do think it needs to be said because for a chunk of the player base they will throw a tantrum when the initial news covering these new consoles launches will not be the biggest news story of the week and may even get a fairly lukewarm reception critically from the more general consumers and on top of that (very much in the xbox case) the initial offering of whats actually new available at launch will possibly be worst since the PS2 so everybody should calm down, get perspective and dont throw out the generation too soon.

Which yeah, the xbox series X launched yesterday and between lockdown in the UK and everything else going on, the most I've walked away with about the console is that it is very quiet. Not exactly the best sales pitch to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭SomeSayKos

Easy Allies will have the usual man babies getting over excited about what the publishers tell them to get excited about if you don't want politics with your games media.
    In fairness, they don't omit politics from their coverage. Damiani, Ian and Ben have been pretty outspoken on many issues

It's nothing to do with being "sensitive". Some just don't think it should be in a console review.

To be fair, i was thinking Kotaku did the Kingdom Come review where they practically accused the devs of racism, so may have gotten on my high horses a bit too quick :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

A lot of people don't like "politics" in there video games, despite politics being there the whole time. They just don't notice, as it never affected them before now.

I have seen stories about making a console during a pandemic and difficulties that they have had due to it. I don't think we can get away from it, as it pretty much impact everything. I can understand people maybe sick of it, but I don't think we can avoid it.

SomeSayKos wrote: »
    I'm sorry free speech gets you so angry man.

Nah lack of sleep get's me angry. Kotaku makes me wonder why tf they are in games journalism at all. They should go into politics.

Some just don't think it should be in a console review.

And as the thread proves others have no problem with it :)

That’s the great thing about a plurality of media - the capacity for different points of views for different audiences. TBH, I’ve read a half dozen reviews of the new consoles that are all in essence the exact same thing with the exact same conclusions - in a way that’s inevitable, because honestly it’s hard to say much about new hardware beyond the tech specs.

• Advertisement

And as the thread proves others have no problem with it :)

That’s the great thing about a plurality of media - the capacity for different points of views for different audiences. TBH, I’ve read a half dozen reviews of the new consoles that are all in essence the exact same thing with the exact same conclusions - in a way that’s inevitable, because honestly it’s hard to say much about new hardware beyond the tech specs.

You know when I want to read about US politics or Covid I look up stories related to it. There's no shortage and they don't randomly go off in a tangent about games or gaming hardware when talking about it.

When I look up games or hardware review/information I want information related to that topic. Hey but that's just me. Let's not pretend Kotaku haven't been doing this for years, pre covid, pre BLM, pre GF, pre election. Those things are covered to death in traditional media.

Advertisement