Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Hey_Listen

What is the value of a PS4 500GB with a single controller if I was to sell it and replace with a PS5?

I see gamestop offering 200 euro for a 1TB PS4 but I think thats store credit?

It might end up going to childrens hospital like my old xbox 360 did

That's a great idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I would too be of the opinion that in a console review, politics should be left out of it. As some have said, have a separate article if you want to discuss that side of it, but a review of the product itself shouldn't include the political or economical climate, imo.

Saying that, I don't really read any reviews. I might read them well down the line if I haven't played a game, but for consoles I never read reviews, because I want to experience everything myself, rather than being told about it in advance. But yeah, if I was reading something and it started going off on a tangent talking about what I consider nothing to do with the actual product, I just stop and move on. As said above again, I use gaming as escapism, I don't need the real world brought into it. I understand some do, but not me.

And he's talking about all that hardship and people being broke, deaths, all the other stuff, but the PS5 is basically still sold out up to and after Xmas, so obviously a lot of people don't care/aren't affected. Like pretty much every console launch really. Just right now it's the cool thing to be mentioning all this stuff at every opportunity you get.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭quokula

And he's talking about all that hardship and people being broke, deaths, all the other stuff, but the PS5 is basically still sold out up to and after Xmas, so obviously a lot of people don't care/aren't affected. Like pretty much every console launch really. Just right now it's the cool thing to be mentioning all this stuff at every opportunity you get.

Yeah, for all the talk of the new consoles being luxury items, they’ll last for many years and potentially thousands of hours of entertainment, for the price of maybe less than a dozen nights out or family cinema trips, or a weekend staycation. Gaming is ridiculously cheap compared to most hobbies and historically has tended to be recession proof as recessions don’t drive people away from gaming, they drive them towards it and away from more expensive forms of entertainment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

quokula wrote: »
    Yeah, for all the talk of the new consoles being luxury items, they’ll last for many years and potentially thousands of hours of entertainment, for the price of maybe less than a dozen nights out or family cinema trips, or a weekend staycation. Gaming is ridiculously cheap compared to most hobbies and historically has tended to be recession proof as recessions don’t drive people away from gaming, they drive them towards it and away from more expensive forms of entertainment.

b2ap3_amp_Football---carousel.jpg

Not buying that.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭SomeSayKos

I use gaming as escapism, I don't need the real world brought into it. I understand some do, but not me.
    Gaming is, or at least can be escapism, but i think you have to actually be engaged in the act of gaming for it to be escapism. I don't know why reading a review of a gaming machine would be escapism in of itself.

I don't see the problem with discussing the release of luxury tech items in the context of a once in a generation worldwide disaster. We're lucky that we're safe, well and can afford a PS5 or xbox. I don't see the issue with taking a moment to recognise that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

SomeSayKos wrote: »
    Gaming is, or at least can be escapism, but i think you have to actually be engaged in the act of gaming for it to be escapism. I don't know why reading a review of a gaming machine would be escapism in of itself.

I don't see the problem with discussing the release of luxury tech items in the context of a once in a generation worldwide disaster. We're lucky that we're safe, well and can afford a PS5 or xbox. I don't see the issue with taking a moment to recognise that.

Once in a generation? This more of a once in a century event (hopefully...)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Is anyone on Game Pass for PC going to opt out when the price rises to 9.99? I'm in two minds, for 3.99 it was nicely priced, I don't play all that many games and not daily either, quick blast of a few games over a weekend is all. For 9.99 it's still good value, but more so for the regular gamer I think

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I've been paying €9.99 for a while now, and it's still well worth it (assuming there are games you're interested in).

Kiith wrote: »
    I've been paying €9.99 for a while now, and it's still well worth it (assuming there are games you're interested in).

Just for PC? or you're covered for xbox too? It's been 3.99 for a trial period just for PC, but they're now moving out of Beta for that side. I'll keep it running for a couple months and see, I have a few games on there I still play/have to finish

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I think it cover you on the xbox as well, but i dont have one so can't say for sure.

• Advertisement

Kiith wrote: »
    I think it cover you on the xbox as well, but i dont have one so can't say for sure.

Only an old 360 here that I never use, the kids play it now and then. I was wondering why you were paying 9.99 already? you missed out on the 3.99 trial deal somehow

• Registered Users Posts: 6,455 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

I believe your November payment will be the new price of €9.99

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,324 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Just FYI, you can get a year of Xbox Live from the likes of CDKeys for €40 or so, then buy a month of Game Pass Ultimate for €12 or so, and that'll upgrade the entire Xbox live to GPU. You can even stack up to three years of live before doing this. The only thing to watch out for is that you need to have no subscription on you account, as loading a year of Live onto an account with Game Pass Ultimate activate will pro rata the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

It’s absolute junk (albeit pretty junk with a handful of fun set pieces over its 50 torturous hours), and there are many, many better ways to spend your time. RDR2 actively wastes your time in ways more akin to the worst free to play video games.
    Penn wrote: »
    It had its moments, but it was wrapped up in so much bullsh*t that it was a real struggle at times.
    What it does good, it does really good, but yeah, the "realism" gets in the way of the fun. I did finish it, but it took effort and I traded it in straight away afterwards, and haven't even been inclined to go back to it at any stage, the online parts just aren't for me. One thing that never improved while I had it (and not sure if it's still the same) is the horrible lack of fast travel.
    Parsnips wrote: »
    one of the best single player campaign ever made.
    absolutely superb detail. I loved every second of it.
    I will say though. you cant play it when your tired as it is set in a huge open space meant for riding and exploring. I would stick it on after a day in work and would be asleep in 30min. this is no reflection on how good the game is . just the way it plays. Definitely my top 3 games this generation.
    My teenage son and Daughter both aso played it to completion and both where blown away.
    Beautiful beautiful beautiful.

Multiplayer is complete SH1TE. totally broken and doesnt work at all.
    Retr0gamer wrote: »
    As a modern games player you likely have a pile of games on your backloggery. Practically every one of them is better than the piece of **** that is rdr2.

Don't waste your time with it and play something good
    I had a lot of these same issues. What is weird is I just beat a game called Pathologic 2 which also bakes into its design some very frustrating and un-fun elements, yet it's totally in tune with what that game is trying to be. In RDRII everything feels way out of harmony, it's like systems and mechanics for their own sake. It doesn't seem to add up to anything other than a very technically impressive product that doesn't really have anything to offer other than a screenshot generator

It also takes up 100 gigs storage, definitely better spent on other games.
    Parsnips wrote: »
    Play it and decide yourself.
    Its top notch.
    Greyfox wrote: »
    Red dead 2 is a mess, the control system is cumbersome and broken and the game forces you to repeat mundane tasks over and over and over again. I spent 12 hours playing it and I have never regretted playing a game more. For me the game represents a reminder of why gameplay is far more important than everything else.

Sorry I've been swamped all week. Thanks for all the feedback, on both sides, appreciate the input.

I gave it another shot and gave up after spending an hour or two hunting for perfect hides for crafting, getting ambushed 5 seconds outside my camp by enemies (despite being warned previously not to lead enemies back to the camp), getting killed because my weapons had randomly remapped again and I end up trying to take on 5 rifle armed enemies with just a bow, and then I respawned and all the skins were gone.
    That was shortly after encountering, for the second time, the guy who offers you a shooting challenge. Took to long to accept it and he started walking away, hit what should have been the key combination to accept the challenge which because the context had changed resulted in wrestling him to the ground, and starting a fight in which I had to kill him and hide his body. That was notable mainly because something very similar had happened the first time I encountered him, and I'd left his body under a bush halfway across the map. Great realism.

It looks fantastic, is technically excellent, but that seems all buried under a load of appalling inconsistent gameplay and an awful UI which seems deliberately designed to frustrate the player and pad the game length, disguised as 'realism'.
    Kirby wrote: »
    You can fast travel, and could at launch. Open your camp and put up your tent (you can do it anywhere) and select fast travel. You can go to any town you've been to.

You can also do this at signposts or stagecoaches but it easier and faster to just put your tent up.
    That's one thing that really annoyed me. Once I've unlocked that ability to fast travel (which there's no indication how to do until after you've upgraded the most expensive thing in the camp once) why do I have to open the weapon wheel, select items, select camp, watch the camp setup cutscene, select fast travel, then pick a town from a list of names (which might involve me having to cancel out and check the map first). Why can't I just click a town on the map? Which seems marginally more realistic than the camp process.

Might go back in the January lockdown if I run out of other stuff, but gave up on it for now
    (Randomly went back to a very different game game I hadn't played in years: another open world game featuring lots of side quests, well written lore, and an amazing amount of different gameplay mechanics depending on the character type you choose. Graphics aren't quite as good, and it's a top-down roguelike, but I'd highly recommend Tales of Maj'Eyal)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,279 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

That game actually has fun gameplay unlike rdr2

• Registered Users Posts: 29,810 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

After binging my new favourite show Cobra Kai (seriously ****ing class), i now have a craving for martial arts games. Can anyone recommend a good fighting please? Not interested in mortal Kombat, tekken, etc, looking for any other genre with some bad ass karate. I suppose sleeping dogs is the best/closest i can think of but already payed through that twice. Also taking a break from Yakuza until the new year.

Anything else? Even on mobile?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

If Yakuza and Sleeping Dogs are out of the question, how about Shenmue 3? :pac:

If Yakuza and Sleeping Dogs are out of the question, how about Shenmue 3? :pac:

Ha, i was just googling that. Never played any of those, heard Yakuza did it better, must look up a video.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,034 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

IK+?

:)

CastorTroy wrote: »
    IK+?

:)

Now that's a classic but i sold my C64 sometime ago :)

• Advertisement

Well that also rules out Yie ar Kung Fu, Kung Fu Master, Renegade and Target Renegade

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,324 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Now that's a classic but i sold my C64 sometime ago :)

Sure you can play it in browser these days, even got the loading screens.

https://classicreload.com/amiga-international-karate-plus.html

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

I actually had a good bit of fun with Kung Fu Strike awhile back. It goes on sale quite frequently for about the price of a bottle of coke so I'd say keep an eye out for it in the next Steam sale.

https://store.steampowered.com/sale/FightingGameSale

Fighting game sale on steam now actually

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Hey_Listen

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Well that also rules out Yie ar Kung Fu, Kung Fu Master, Renegade and Target Renegade

Kung Fu Master. What a game! Time for a 120 FPS with ray traced puddles version :). It's a wonder MS doesn't snap up all these companies' IPs for a song.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Supraland what a game anybody here play it?

Ah looks like a lot of class martial arts games on Steam but that rules me out with my potato of a laptop.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,408 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Tekken 3 on the PS1, the pinnacle

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

gimli2112 wrote: »
    Tekken 3 on the PS1, the pinnacle

That game was perfection. In the days before we had our consoles record how much time we spent playing a game, I dread to think how much time I put into that game. Probably over 300 hours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,408 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

the only one that came close for me was Soul Caliber, I even bought a non-sony controller for it. Years later someone told me the story progression, which was unbelieveably good and very sad. Yet Tekken 3 is the boss.

Advertisement