Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Obra Dinn is claaaaasss! Just solved my first 3 fates. Even though they were easy, I feel like I'm an actual detective instead of just following a usual 'detective mode' trail from clue to clue. I also feel like it's gonna get a lot tougher but I'm instantly sucked into the story.

Wait til you have to start picking out the individual topmen ;)

The great thing is though all the info is there if you pay enough attention. Thrilling to discover some of the subtler clues and how they can give you that vital extra solve to close off another trio of identities. Just make sure to not drift off to other games, as it’s one best played in a short period of time while all that info’s fresh in your head!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭nextgengamer

funnydoggy wrote: »
    Looking to pick up cyberpunk 2077. I'm out of luck aren't I? Since they don't have it on the Ps Store anymore and it's technically non essential so I don't think Tesco would be selling it

Smyths ? Free local delivery or CEX of you want to pay more for it second hand :) or Amazon . Co . Not . UK ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

Smyths ? Free local delivery or CEX of you want to pay more for it second hand :) or Amazon . Co . Not . UK ?

I think I'd have to go with one of those alright. I had the bright idea of buying it tonight and downloading it overnight damn it:)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,811 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Wait til you have to start picking out the individual topmen ;)

The great thing is though all the info is there if you pay enough attention. Thrilling to discover some of the subtler clues and how they can give you that vital extra solve to close off another trio of identities. Just make sure to not drift off to other games, as it’s one best played in a short period of time while all that info’s fresh in your head!

Have to say, was not expecting the Abigail death walk ( my term, is there a proper one?). Yupp, i definitely get the sense you can't drift too far from it, think I'm gonna stick with as my main game for a while with bursts of Cobra Kai when i want to switch off my brain. Didn't think I'd be shelving cyberpunk this soon but Obra Dinn is more intriguing for me at the moment.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

You can change the colour scheme in Obra Dinn, right? I've often beeb curious to play but 1-bit colour schemes give me horrible headaches

• Advertisement

pixelburp wrote: »
    You can change the colour scheme in Obra Dinn, right? I've often beeb curious to play but 1-bit colour schemes give me horrible headaches

Yeah the settings are gas and you can choose different colour schemes based on macintosh, commodore, etc. For a 1 bit game, it's still gorgeous.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Have to say, was not expecting the Abigail death walk ( my term, is there a proper one?). Yupp, i definitely get the sense you can't drift too far from it, think I'm gonna stick with as my main game for a while with bursts of Cobra Kai when i want to switch off my brain. Didn't think I'd be shelving cyberpunk this soon but Obra Dinn is more intriguing for me at the moment.

Tip i wish i knew going into the game, read your diary/journal back to front, i completely missed some character descriptions only found in that, and when i got to the end it was just so much to go back over, to the point i didnt bother my arse and said id just play the game fresh again in the future. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,910 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Is there any games you can currently play with just a storyline and no collectables, side missions etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Jordan 199 wrote: »
    Is there any games you can currently play with just a storyline and no collectables, side missions etc?

I don't know but it would be madness to release one as that what games are all about, collecting things and side missions. Game would be lacking without them.

I'm sure there is older games like that but I don't know or remember them right now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Countless. Just a few recent ones (some have minor, ignorable collectibles):

Outer Wilds
    Return of the Obra Dinn
    Call of the Sea
    Kentucky Route Zero
    Half-Life Alyx
    Ghostrunner
    There Is No Game: Wrong Dimension
    Sayonara Wild Hearts
    Grindstone
    Manifold Garden
    If Found...
    The Last Guardian
    Most Naughty Dog games

You’d be better off saying what kind of game you’re looking for for a better steer :) There are all manner of focused, story-driven and tightly designed games out there, so can be had to narrow them down!

• Advertisement

I don't know but it would be madness to release one as that what games are all about, collecting things and side missions. Game would be lacking without them.

They’re certainly not what games are all about, and indeed can often be responsible for just completely destroying the pacing or flow of a game :) A lot of AAA games have quadrupled down on this stuff, but thankfully there are plenty of indie and even some big budget games doing very different things.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭quokula

They’re certainly not what games are all about, and indeed can often be responsible for just completely destroying the pacing or flow of a game :) A lot of AAA games have quadrupled down on this stuff, but thankfully there are plenty of indie and even some big budget games doing very different things.

I've never understood why people complain about it though - it's very easy to ignore if you're not interested, and it gives those who are interested something extra to enjoy.

With that said, a narrative game can absolutely still be a game without any of that stuff - dialog choices, decisions to make, even just having the ability to walk around and look at the scenery can mark them out from other narrative formats.

The best example of a pure narrative game I can think of in recent years is Life is Strange and its prequel. They do have some mild collectables that you can completely ignore (and I did), but they are absolutely fantastic games that are absolutely worth playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

A plagues tale would be one, but I can't remember if it is completely void of collectibles. As a story and progression through the story, it is pretty tight.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,354 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Anyone know why Escape from Tarkov has skyrocketed in popularity? Seen on Twitch that its been number one for the last few days.

Can someone explain what the purpose of Tarkov is too?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Vicxas wrote: »
    Anyone know why Escape from Tarkov has skyrocketed in popularity? Seen on Twitch that its been number one for the last few days.

Can someone explain what the purpose of Tarkov is too?

The latest update brought a new expansion along with a character wipe.
    https://www.gamespot.com/articles/escape-from-tarkov-update-129-character-wipe-woods-expansion-patch-notes/1100-6485768/

Is that a survivor game? Just on PC. Anyone recommend a good one on PS4/5? I heard DayZ is good these days? Base building, scavenging, plague/zombies, etc. I have Subnautica that I need to get back to buy wouldn't mind one based on land.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Is that a survivor game? Just on PC. Anyone recommend a good one on PS4/5? I heard DayZ is good these days? Base building, scavenging, plague/zombies, etc. I have Subnautica that I need to get back to buy wouldn't mind one based on land.

Can't recommend it as haven't played it yet but I've been looking at The Forest, cheap too!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,390 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Hellblade, just finished it and it’s superb. Technically the lorestones would be deemed a collectible as you need to focus on all of them to get the platinum, but very few of them are off the beaten track anyway. If you just want an excellent, focused story-driven experience, I can’t recommend it enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭earthwormjack

martyos121 wrote: »
    Hellblade, just finished it and it’s superb. Technically the lorestones would be deemed a collectible as you need to focus on all of them to get the platinum, but very few of them are off the beaten track anyway. If you just want an excellent, focused story-driven experience, I can’t recommend it enough.

And play it with decent headphones if possible. It's almost essential to the experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Does anyone know if it's possible to trade in games during the lockdown? Can you send them to CEX/GS/Smyths or what way does that work? Need to get rid of Godfall before it drops in price, which will be soon I reckon (and most likely to be a Plus game soon I reckon).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭JimBurnley

Does anyone know if it's possible to trade in games during the lockdown? Can you send them to CEX/GS/Smyths or what way does that work? Need to get rid of Godfall before it drops in price, which will be soon I reckon (and most likely to be a Plus game soon I reckon).

Asked the same last lockdown and answer was CEX via online and drop off. Never got round to doing it myself tho

• Registered Users Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Oh I'll do it, while it's still worth something! Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,390 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

And play it with decent headphones if possible. It's almost essential to the experience.

100%. Started it playing through the speakers but put on my Sennheisers after an hour and it was like a different game completely. One of favourite gaming experiences of the decade, easily.

100%. Started it playing through the speakers but put on my Sennheisers after an hour and it was like a different game completely. One of favourite gaming experiences of the decade, easily.

That experience with headphones is like no other, sickened the next one is xbox exclusive.

Lonely Mountain Downhill feels just right, lovely 60 FPS (on Xbox), clear clean graphics, relaxing. Love it.

Update

Also sucked into Tetris effect. What a brilliant version of a brilliant game.

Both of these games are zen like.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,910 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Cool. Included in the Xbox Game Pass so I'm good to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,127 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Smyths dont take trade ins not since 2017 and Gamestop stores are shut so CeX would be the only store. Download the CeX app makes things quicker

Lonely Mountain Downhill feels just right, lovely 60 FPS (on Xbox), clear clean graphics, relaxing. Love it.

Update

Also sucked into Tetris effect. What a brilliant version of a brilliant game.

Both of these games are zen like.
    Yeah Tetris Effect Connected on Game Pass is great fun and I love the audio and visuals. And Quick Resume actually works on it. Back to working from home tomorrow and this is going to be great to dip into for a level or two on a tea break.

Yeah Tetris Effect Connected on Game Pass is great fun and I love the audio and visuals. And Quick Resume actually works on it. Back to working from home tomorrow and this is going to be great to dip into for a level or two on a tea break.

Yep, digital games + game pass + quick startup + quick resume between games + silent console + better/consistent frame rates are game changers. I really don't have much time to play games, so this is perfect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

Game Pass is definitely the best deal in gaming right now. As soon as they release an app on smart TVs for streaming or some sort of chromecast- like device, I'll be signing up.

Advertisement