Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭nextgengamer

Yeah Tetris Effect Connected on Game Pass is great fun and I love the audio and visuals. And Quick Resume actually works on it. Back to working from home tomorrow and this is going to be great to dip into for a level or two on a tea break.

Yep, will keep us safe and sane :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I’m a few years behind on this, but just played through the Sapienza level of Hitman and it’s a real beaut - a genuine classic bit of multi-layered clockwork design. Manages to be massive for a level of its ilk while still being logical and manageable and easily learnable. The game looks great on PC too (playing Hitman 2, but decided to start from the start as I’d only played Paris previously).

It’s actually something I’ve got a proper taste for after playing a few open world games recently - these sort of sandbox immersive sims. Have Death of the Outsider downloaded to dive into too.

Separately, put a few hours into Disaster Report 4. Thankfully it runs ‘well’ on PC, inherent technical jankiness aside - getting solid performance unlike the seemingly appalling console versions. Nice to dip into a game that feels like it was made for the PS2, but in a good way :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 29,811 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Sapienza is my favourite Hitman level in the whole franchise. There's so much going on and it all combines just lovely. Had a nice James Bond feel to it as well. They really nailed it. During its episodic time, it was great to play through it multiple ways to see all it had to offer but with hitman 2, i just finished a level, usually fairly messy and just moved into the next. Hitman really clicked with the episodes to get the most out of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I only played Hitman after all the levels were released so didn't spend much time in each level as they were all available for me to play. I remember hiding in the bushes to kill two guys in sperate levels with a silent pistol and fired the shot to the head and ran off and got away with the kills with out being noticed.

I should really play Hitman 2. I own it already so have no excuse to not play it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,280 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Separately, put a few hours into Disaster Report 4. Thankfully it runs ‘well’ on PC, inherent technical jankiness aside - getting solid performance unlike the seemingly appalling console versions. Nice to dip into a game that feels like it was made for the PS2, but in a good way :pac:

It's a weird one because you'll be walking around for ages in most areas wondering where the hell you are meant to be going because the budget didn't extend to subtle sign posting.... or any sort of sign posting.

It's such a bizarrre games, a true B tier game in this day and age and while it can hardly be called great there's so much heart, charm and silliness.

Really hope Granzella buy Bumpy Trot/Steambot Chronicles from Irem as well and work on the cancelled sequel. That game was a AA gem.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    It's a weird one because you'll be walking around for ages in most areas wondering where the hell you are meant to be going because the budget didn't extend to subtle sign posting.... or any sort of sign posting.

It's such a bizarrre games, a true B tier game in this day and age and while it can hardly be called great there's so much heart, charm and silliness.

Really hope Granzella buy Bumpy Trot/Steambot Chronicles from Irem as well and work on the cancelled sequel. That game was a AA gem.

Yeah the progression routes are pretty arbitrary at times - like talk to this person, then this person, then another person, and then the first person again for some reason. Or you walk into a shop with shelves of water, and have to go through a bunch of arcane steps to buy the water rather than just taking it to help the injured dude.

But there’s a charm to the jank for sure, and I find the weird way it has you determine motivation and backstory for your character fascinatingly weird. Plus it was only like 13 quid in the Epic sale so can’t complain - probably not worth 60 quid, mind you!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,280 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It's more when you exhaust the dialogue and can't see the piece of geometry that lets you get to the next part of the stage because it doesn't stand out :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

Tomb Raider was one of my favourite games growing up. Loved the first 3, fell off some time after that.
    On the subject of the reboot. I really liked the first one because it was more of a third person action shooter with puzzles and exploration opportunities as secondary - to me that's when the reboot works best. Excellent level design and memorable locations, great pacing with the world knowing when to open and close at just the right moments. The outdoor environments were varied and the tombs were rare so that when you found one it actually felt like you had stumbled across something special. The collectibles were restrained and the action was fun. It also has the best story of the three. I was surprised by how good it was overall and it will be interesting to see if it holds up.

Rise, however, was a massive disappointment. It got off easy by the critics and I'm not sure how because a lot of the things they said about Shadow (which is far better imo) could easily be said about Rise. It suddenly turned into a checklist puzzle platformer in an effort to appease old school fans (whilst being mechanically not able to do that), with an insufferable Lara to boot. It's the most basic b*tch triple A game I've ever played, so painfully generic that it almost feels like a spoof.

While I think the first tomb raider is the best of the three, I did enjoy the others. The story worked in the first one as the stakes relied on the survival of lara so she had a reason to fight back. The other two just became murder sims, so I was detached from the story but enjoyed the level design and puzzles nonetheless.

For some reason I have a higher regard for these over the uncharted games as I really hate Nathan drake as a character and hated the combat sections in the uncharted games. It really was a case of just pushing through them to get to the good bits.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Speaking of Hitman, what's up with the different editions of the first two games in the trilogy? I want to get it all on Playstation, but the various versions have me confused. To have both games, can I buy Hitman 2 and the Hitman - GOTY Legacy Pack?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭recyclops

Tomb Raider was one of my favourite games growing up. Loved the first 3, fell off some time after that.
    On the subject of the reboot. I really liked the first one because it was more of a third person action shooter with puzzles and exploration opportunities as secondary - to me that's when the reboot works best. Excellent level design and memorable locations, great pacing with the world knowing when to open and close at just the right moments. The outdoor environments were varied and the tombs were rare so that when you found one it actually felt like you had stumbled across something special. The collectibles were restrained and the action was fun. It also has the best story of the three. I was surprised by how good it was overall and it will be interesting to see if it holds up.

Rise, however, was a massive disappointment. It got off easy by the critics and I'm not sure how because a lot of the things they said about Shadow (which is far better imo) could easily be said about Rise. It suddenly turned into a checklist puzzle platformer in an effort to appease old school fans (whilst being mechanically not able to do that), with an insufferable Lara to boot. It's the most basic b*tch triple A game I've ever played, so painfully generic that it almost feels like a spoof.

Currently playing through Shadow on the series X and I have to admit I am loving it, its my third attempt to play it through and I must have been jaded with the previous too as it wasnt clicking at all.

Now though im exploring every nook and cranny and just loving the traversing, it has a more natural feel to it than the uncharted games and whilst insanely over the top with the story, its just a lot of fun ( which is what games should be)

My biggest gripe is how Lara really just smashes up each and every tomb she comes across and doesnt seem to have any reverence for the centuries old tombs she is in.

• Advertisement

Yeah in the first Ps1 era tomb raider games Lara had reverence for the history and places she was in.

She just didn't give a **** about endangered speices (and even some long thought to be extinct ones that are definitely extinct since lara visited, RIP T-Rex).

Realistically outside of Forza horizon is there actually a better looking or sounding game than shadow of the tomb raider, if there is I'd love to play it.

Well getting my dolby atmos licence monies worth.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,324 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

recyclops wrote: »
    Realistically outside of Forza horizon is there actually a better looking or sounding game than shadow of the tomb raider, if there is I'd love to play it.

Gears 5.

I am actually saving that til after mad max, goal is finish Tim raider by Friday, mad max then gears 5 then onto the medium.

13 sentinels and ori will of the wisps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭nextgengamer

My biggest gripe is how Lara really just smashes up each and every tomb she comes across and doesnt seem to have any reverence for the centuries old tombs she is in.

Link is the same - always smashing up things. Pops into an ancient dungeon/tomb/temple, smashes up some pots. And his only defence is "...".

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,127 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

System of a Down wrote a song about Link that's all the causality I need to follow Link into Hyrule Castle with only 3 hearts.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    13 sentinels and ori will of the wisps.

Haven't played 13 sentinels yet so will add it to the list.

Any advice on a Switch issue please? Amazon lost a game i ordered for my niece's for Christmas and they don't have another copy to replace it. I asked for the digital code instead which they agreed to. I assume it works like a ps game code and it's just a case of redeeming the code on the store on their switch?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Any advice on a Switch issue please? Amazon lost a game i ordered for my niece's for Christmas and they don't have another copy to replace it. I asked for the digital code instead which they agreed to. I assume it works like a ps game code and it's just a case of redeeming the code on the store on their switch?

Yeah, exact same as you would on the PS Store.

• Advertisement

Yeah, exact same as you would on the PS Store.

Bollox, days i can't but the code due to geo restrictions. Is that because it will only play on a UK switch like a uk ps plus sub? Or some amazon bollixology?

I'd say it's a UK code which is no longer an EU code. I got similar as they are giving me a discount in ps plus but I can't use it

****ing brexit!

Bollox, days i can't but the code due to geo restrictions. Is that because it will only play on a UK switch like a uk ps plus sub? Or some amazon bollixology?

Odd. I got membership for the kids and it covers the entire Europe region as opposed to just Ireland or UK the way the PS Store works. Unless they are operating a blanket ban on selling certain products to other regions post Brexit.

Maybe get the refund off Amazon and get the game code through Eneba or Instant Gaming.

Maybe get the refund off Amazon and get the game code through Eneba or Instant Gaming.

I got the refund to an Amazon gift card as they said it would be quicker. Gonna get back onto them to see if they can move it my credit card as I'm unable to buy the replacement.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,354 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Amazon.de have a delivery time of nearly 2 weeks for shipping games :/

Goddamit brexit

Wow, amazon uk took my gift card refund and put it back onto my credit card with no hassle, didn't think they'd be able to. Now it just means paying an extra 15-20 quid for the game in Ireland. Must look up eneba like suggested.

Edit: Eneba is 63 euro and other sites same as retail value. Argos selling for 48 so not too bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,845 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Wow, amazon uk took my gift card refund and put it back onto my credit card with no hassle, didn't think they'd be able to. Now it just means paying an extra 15-20 quid for the game in Ireland. Must look up eneba like suggested.

Edit: Eneba is 63 euro and other sites same as retail value. Argos selling for 48 so not too bad.

Smyth's are the cheapest here but selection is limited. Unless it is a pretty new game it can be hard to source. Keep an eye on the Nintendo store as the regularly have decent sales.

I use these sites to see what's the cheapest price on the store and the second to see which store is the cheapet.

https://www.dekudeals.com/

https://eshop-prices.com/prices?currency=EUR

• Advertisement
Advertisement