Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

are we likely to get amazon.ie back? or are we just ****ed now going forward amazon wise? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

nix wrote: »
    are we likely to get amazon.ie back? or are we just ****ed now going forward amazon wise? :(

It's working out great for me. Everything under 22 quid is Vat free - I buy a lot of vinyl so there's a load of records I can get for under that price - and with Amazon Prime I get free delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,469 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Don’t think it needs its own thread but looking for opinions on WRC 9 from anyone who’s played it?

It’s been reduced to €30 on the PS store and I’m thinking about picking it up for the PS5

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Parsnips

nix wrote: »

I dont know wtf is going on but I had 2 orders cancelled on me by amazon on Dec 30th with no explanation.
    Now Im waiting on another thats late and is just sitting there. says delivery due today but not even dispatched.
    if this is a sign of things to come in 2021... Amazon can go F themselves.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,280 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

They are doing you a favour. If they arrived because of brexit and the trade deal not ratified you'd be stung with customs charges.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

I'd be a lot less bothered about Amazon if Hitman 3 wasn't €70 in Smyths regardless of platform which might be a bad sign. I know it won't sell well so I'm just going to wait for a month or two until it drops price.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Played a bit of GTA IV last night and damn the graphics are bad and the annoying cousin phoning lets do something when trying to play the game. It really has aged and the car handling is really bad and flying out the windshield if driving too fast and hit something solid. Despite all that it would be a good game for a re-master.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,910 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Played a bit of GTA IV last night and damn the graphics are bad and the annoying cousin phoning lets do something when trying to play the game. It really has aged and the car handling is really bad and flying out the windshield if driving too fast and hit something solid. Despite all that it would be a good game for a re-master.
    Hey cousin, how about we eat together :D

• Registered Users Posts: 29,811 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

The biggest gripe i had about gta 4 was the lack of checkpoints. Doing long missions, getting killed and having to go back to the start where you drive to a to b to c before getting killed again was an awful pain. Getting drunk and watching ricky gervais standup was absolutely hilarious though.

I liked the driving but there were too many slow cars which made driving a bit boring. I liked the gritty feel to the game and would love a remastered version but apparently been a few hints to GTA 6 / Vice City on the last GTA Online and RDR Online updates so I'd say that's the next thing we'll get from Rockstar.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

Has anyone here played Dragon Quest XI, can't find a thread on it.

I bought it recently after being on the fence for awhile but all the positive reviews, both by users and critics, convinced me to get it.

After 10 hours playing it, I'm regretting the purchase. I knew going in from reviews that the story was unoriginal and characters were the usual archetypes.

But I wasn't expecting the gameplay to be so basic. It's your normal JRPG turn based combat but it's just so simple, I thought I must be missing some core elements to the game. How reviewers compared this to Persona 5 and Breath of the Wild I don't know.

And it's not just the combat and story, the world design is as linear as they get. The character development system lacks any sort of depth. The sidequests are fetch quests. The 'mini games' of horse racing and forge are an insult to mini games.

20 year old JRPGs have far more complex and interesting systems.

How did this review so well and be so favourably compared to great JRPGs? I feel duped, like I bought the Lee Carvallo's Putting Challenge of JRPGs.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,280 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Dragon Quests tend to be unoriginal but exceedingly well made and full of charm.

However recent Dragon Quests tend to be a slow burn. There's a lot of depth to them it's just takes long time before you get to it. Later on you can really in depth in building unique characters with the class system. And when the game does get more difficult there's a lot of strategy to the bosses and you really need to use buffs, debuffs and status effects to do well. Although if you have the game set to an easy difficulty you won't need any of this. The combat in DQ is simple at the start but the enemies and their crazy combination of attacks are what makes it interesting.

The problem is 10 hours isn't enough to see that. 20 hours is the point when these games start to get interesting. It is a lot to ask of the player. For the japanese market Dragon Quest is the Call of Duty for them and everyone knows and expects this but it's harder to swallow if you are new to the series.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,324 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1346848357269053443

One thing that you couldn't fault Steve Balmer on was his ambition..... his talent, on the other hand......

I'd have loved to be a fly on the wall in that meeting, the Nintendo guys must have been busting their asses laughing :pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Has anyone here played Dragon Quest XI, can't find a thread on it.

I bought it recently after being on the fence for awhile but all the positive reviews, both by users and critics, convinced me to get it.

After 10 hours playing it, I'm regretting the purchase. I knew going in from reviews that the story was unoriginal and characters were the usual archetypes.

But I wasn't expecting the gameplay to be so basic. It's your normal JRPG turn based combat but it's just so simple, I thought I must be missing some core elements to the game. How reviewers compared this to Persona 5 and Breath of the Wild I don't know.

And it's not just the combat and story, the world design is as linear as they get. The character development system lacks any sort of depth. The sidequests are fetch quests. The 'mini games' of horse racing and forge are an insult to mini games.

20 year old JRPGs have far more complex and interesting systems.

How did this review so well and be so favourably compared to great JRPGs? I feel duped, like I bought the Lee Carvallo's Putting Challenge of JRPGs.

Pretty sure i was in the same boat as you when i started chipping away at it to, but i kept at it and just started to love it more and more the more i progressed, i think i started loving it around the 20hr mark?

But yeah, give it more time and see how it goes, its a long game, so if yer still not loving it after 20hrs, maybe ditch it.

GTAIV is my fave of the lot and I know I'm the outlier on that. Personally couldn't stand San Andreas, III or Vice City, sorry. GTAV was great at the time and still is enjoyable but IV really stuck with me. I also didn't mind the annoying cousin lol. Would love if they remastered.

San Andreas and V are my favourite. The cousin calling in IV wasn't too bad as I was only at the start of the game but got flash backs from when I played it on release years ago. I remember you would be trying to play the game and far into the game and he and I think others would call. It's not too bad at the start as it's all new and hanging out is a bit of a experience but when you are deep into the game and bored of hanging out it got annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Parsnips

GTAIV and V are both phenomenal games.

I think I enjoyed IV single player a little bit more than Vs.

My fondest memory of GTA is indeed San Andreas. Just sublime and so far ahead of its time.
    Diving those trucker missions listening to Country music. ( I think it was still called K-Rose back then)
    amazing amazing amazing.

Mammmmmaaaaaa dont let your babies grow up to be cowboys :):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,552 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

I replay VC and SA every few years. Despite only being two years apart, SA has aged far, far better in terms of playability and feel. Simple things like climbing and swimming are things you take for granted from modern games that make VC annoying to play.

Also, VC's layout is all over the shop. There are vast sections of coastline that are ignored and just left as walls. Also, the road system is a mess. I never took much notice of it at the time but it's part of the annoyance.

SA on the other hand has far more thought. The roads have motorways with on-ramps. Last playthrough, I made some attempt to get 100%, whicn involved getting all the tags, horseshoes, shapshots and oysters. It led me to areas of the map I never saw from several playthroughs. It is so detailed and was far ahead of its time. The annoying girlfriends, needing to eat and go to the gym on the other hand...

VC has the best atmosphere though.

I replay VC and SA every few years. Despite only being two years apart, SA has aged far, far better in terms of playability and feel. Simple things like climbing and swimming are things you take for granted from modern games that make VC annoying to play.

Also, VC's layout is all over the shop. There are vast sections of coastline that are ignored and just left as walls. Also, the road system is a mess. I never took much notice of it at the time but it's part of the annoyance.

SA on the other hand has far more thought. The roads have motorways with on-ramps. Last playthrough, I made some attempt to get 100%, whicn involved getting all the tags, horseshoes, shapshots and oysters. It led me to areas of the map I never saw from several playthroughs. It is so detailed and was far ahead of its time. The annoying girlfriends, needing to eat and go to the gym on the other hand...

VC has the best atmosphere though.

I play a small bit of it every now and then but never go too far into it but from memory regarding going to the gym. All you have to do is max out the stats at the beginning of the game and you never have to go again plus CJ is a beast when maxed out.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,910 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Parsnips wrote: »
    My fondest memory of GTA is indeed San Andreas. Just sublime and so far ahead of its time.
    Diving those trucker missions listening to Country music. ( I think it was still called K-Rose back then)
    amazing amazing amazing.

Trucking + country music = excellent combination.

I always felt GTA 4 was a bit rubbish. Car handling was more realistic and less fun and they were so concerned about simulation they never made the game fun. Mission design is really poor as well. I really didn't enjoy it. In a way it's very like that issues with Red Dead Redemption 2 except that games doubled down on it. The DLC at least brought some fun back to GTA. Also won't forget my first time turning on the game and being invited into a lobby with a load of people from boards before the intro had even finished. The night of absolute madness that followed is up there with one of my all time best online game experiences.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,390 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Parsnips wrote: »
    GTAIV and V are both phenomenal games.

I think I enjoyed IV single player a little bit more than Vs.

amazing amazing amazing.

Mammmmmaaaaaa dont let your babies grow up to be cowboys :):):)

This post made me fire it up again last night for old times sake. My god, it still holds up amazingly for a 16 year old PS2 game. Only intended to play for an hour and listen to the radio cruising around Los Santos but I can sense another full playthrough on the way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I can see a remake of SA at some stage. It would sell like hot cakes and even if it was the exact same just with modern graphics and controls, everyone would be happy. I'd be afraid they'd ruin it with MT's though.

With the rumour that VI will basically be Vice City 2, it may not happen for a while, or if the heads at R* were any good, they could release it as DLC/expansion for VI.

I can see a remake of SA at some stage. It would sell like hot cakes and even if it was the exact same just with modern graphics and controls, everyone would be happy. I'd be afraid they'd ruin it with MT's though.

With the rumour that VI will basically be Vice City 2, it may not happen for a while, or if the heads at R* were any good, they could release it as DLC/expansion for VI.

It's hard to know what they will do they are still making big money from V and even releasing GTA V online on current gen consoles so that will be 3 generation of consoles it was on.

Just thinking about it if they didn't make so much money from that game we would have had GTA VI a long time ago. As we had GTA IV and V within a shortish time frame and V was released on the 360 so we went a full generation and a long console generation at that without a new GTA game.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

It's hard to know what they will do they are still making big money from V and even releasing GTA V online on current gen consoles so that will be 3 generation of consoles it was on.

Just thinking about it if they didn't make so much money from that game we would have had GTA VI a long time ago. As we had GTA IV and V within a shortish time frame and V was released on the 360 so we went a full generation and a long console generation at that without a new GTA game.

GTA 4 was 2008 and GTA V first got released 2013, so 5 years between them. I doubt we would have got 6 a long time ago but probably a few years ago. Hopefully, they just make GTA Online its own thing and it stops holding back stand alone GTA games. It looks like that is now the case with the rebranding to GTA Online instead of GTA V Online.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭nextgengamer

Damn.

Just had a power outage here.

Can people please switch back to 60 FPS ?

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,535 ✭✭✭✭Varik

GTA 4 was 2008 and GTA V first got released 2013, so 5 years between them. I doubt we would have got 6 a long time ago but probably a few years ago. Hopefully, they just make GTA Online its own thing and it stops holding back stand alone GTA games. It looks like that is now the case with the rebranding to GTA Online instead of GTA V Online.

It's always been GTA online, it's never been GTA V Online. They recently made Red Dead Online available to purchase separately, but again branding wise it's been it's own thing and It's never been RDR2O.

What Rockstar won't do is follow infinity ward and Treyarch lead and have redo each others work as their games are on different engines to get stuff into warzone.

We' might be getting an update for the PS5/SX this year where the game will be a separate download but it's never going to be fully separate project. GTA online is the reason that GTAV has hit 130m this year and hasn't been out of the charts since launch. GTA 6 is going to build on that and help push GTA online further.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,036 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Who wants a new Dizzy game?
    https://www.olivertwins.com/wonderfuldizzy

• Registered Users Posts: 29,811 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Boards 2020 Game of the Year Awrds voting is live, for anyone that missing the awards thread.

https://bit.ly/3hLhrlv

• Registered Users Posts: 29,036 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I abstain due to only playing about 3 games between all the PS4, PS5 and Switch nominees.

Advertisement