Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

• Registered Users Posts: 23,161 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Kiith wrote: »
    As long as someone doesn't actually call it the Nemesis system, they will almost certainly be fine.

Won't stop WB trying to claim they can't use it though...cause they ****ing suck.

Introducing the "Adversary System™".

Sounds like something up Digital Devolver's street, they like to poke fun at the gaming industry.
    That is really bizarre. I've heard of games asking if you'd like to decrease the difficulty if you lose a number of times in a row.

When a game does that it only makes me more stubborn.

"How dare you..."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

So that's why I stopped playing. I technically haven't "died" in that game yet (manually quitting and reloading every time I do, instead of hitting continue), and the game is getting ridiculous. I still haven't gone back to it and it's been almost a month. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,604 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Was just trying to think what game in the past few years I played and remember watching speedrunners talk about the adaptive difficulty, purposefully wasting or not picking up ammo to keep the difficulty low etc

It was the Resident Evil 2 & 3 remakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,811 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Was it TLOU 2 that had the highly customisable difficulty settings? Night be a different game but i remember being able to choose things like how tough enemies are, how easy they spot you, how often consumables appear for pick up, actually don't think it was tlou2, any ideas?

I really don't like adaptable difficulty, especially when you get less resources because you are playing too well and then possibly miss upgrades because you can't afford them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

One of the real tragedies of the Nemesis System is that it’s stuck in what are otherwise two of the blandest open world games around. Those Mordor games are shamelessly derivative in so many respects, and stand out only because of one brilliant, inventive system ticking away throughout. Hopefully someone can take the basic idea and expand on it in a more interesting game, without getting caught up in a patent legal battle.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

On adaptive difficulty, if I remember correctly, Oblivion had something like that; the enemies scaled up as you increased your levels but it meant you never got to properly experience that sense of power fantasy. You'd be at level 40 and suddenly those random roadside bandits previously in loincloths were brandishing glass weaponry :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Was it TLOU 2 that had the highly customisable difficulty settings? Night be a different game but i remember being able to choose things like how tough enemies are, how easy they spot you, how often consumables appear for pick up, actually don't think it was tlou2, any ideas?

I really don't like adaptable difficulty, especially when you get less resources because you are playing too well and then possibly miss upgrades because you can't afford them.

I just checked it as I'm starting a second playthrough since last year and it is.

It's not from the menu at the start but the in game menu you can fiddle about with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,584 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

pixelburp wrote: »
    On adaptive difficulty, if I remember correctly, Oblivion had something like that; the enemies scaled up as you increased your levels but it meant you never got to properly experience that sense of power fantasy. You'd be at level 40 and suddenly those random roadside bandits previously in loincloths were brandishing glass weaponry :rolleyes:

Sin: Episodes had an adaptive difficulty where it scales up but refused to scale down once you got your ass kicked a couple of times. It resulted in a game that's difficult for all the wrong reasons.

IIRC Final Fantasy 8 had enemies that scaled to your level, meaning people could more or less break the game by not levelling.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭earthwormjack

Max Payne 1+2 had adaptive difficulty as well from what I remember. I never got to see the Nemesis system at it's best because of how easy those Middle-Earth games are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Cordell

Hopefully someone can take the basic idea and expand on it in a more interesting game, without getting caught up in a patent legal battle.

Well, not anymore, not in a high profile AAA game anyway - the idea will be quickly shut down by the legals or the publisher.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Cordell wrote: »
    Well, not anymore, not in a high profile AAA game anyway - the idea will be quickly shut down by the legals or the publisher.

That's what I've seen as the desired outcome all right. Don't need the patent to be watertight, just a pain in the ass for anyone who might think of cribbing the idea. As you say any major studio's legal will shoot it down, while the shallow pockets of indy studios couldn't even afford the paperwork.

Say it's a matter of time for some company to create something that's sufficiently different enough that they can't challenge.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

I don't understand why they have to pump so much effort into this, its a waste of money, just give them cheat codes for single player games and be done with it.

This way they get to take in the story and ignore any semblance of a challenge, no need to waste so much resources on it, its daft really :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Cordell

Say it's a matter of time for some company to create something that's sufficiently different enough that they can't challenge.

Any game in which who you defeat and who defeats you have a consequence potentially infringes this patent - it doesn't have to copy the whole idea, even a small insignificant part will do, even if it's 10% copied 90% original it will make no difference.
    There are other fields of engineering that became patent minefields, let's hope gaming doesn't go that way. After all, this is an industry that grew on shamelessly coping and improving what others did before.

Just imagine what if someone were to patent the first person shooter with a broad patent (as they usually are) that covers any kind of game that have a camera that moves with the player. This will cover maybe 80% of the games of today.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Looks like GamesMaster is coming back thanks to E4, albeit with a completely new format. Basically celebs squaring off in gaming challenges. Meh.

Man, remember when game shows were populated by the actual population, not jobbing stand-ups? Where would the likes of Lee Mack be without this genre shift lol :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,280 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

TV just don't get what makes a good gaming show. They just seem to want to 'gamify' it and turn it into a quiz/challenge show format when they should be looking at a film review type format.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,535 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Actually a gaming gameshow with celebs wouldn't be that bad. A normal gameshow with normal people would probably be a little try hard, at least with the celebs it'll be a little random. It also not so much a gameshow and rather like just having all the weird reality show challenges be games.

Don't have any interest in anything news or review related, even actual news sites are just reposting stuff off reddit, press releases, or smaller Youtubers, and anything they do report will be old news by the time episodes air.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,280 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Or how about getting people on that actually know about games to talk about games and be informative and not have them as a throw away thing next to the celeb's 'personality'. Like Consolevania, or videogaiden.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Celebs... playing CoD and Fifa on a tv show???

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 12,535 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Or how about getting people on that actually know about games to talk about games and be informative and not have them as a throw away thing next to the celeb's 'personality'. Like Consolevania, or videogaiden.

Anyone interested in that is already watching it on youtube, and it wouldn't have the appeal to a broader audience.

Lost track of the thread a while back but just to touch on the recent nemesis nonsense...a bit rich of WB considering the parkour in the game is directly lifted from Assassin's Creed II along with other features like like scaling towers to reveal region haha. Mordor was one of the most derivative games I've ever played. This sets a very bad precedent.

The thing about it that shocks me is there are people celebrating it, congratulating WB.

Why?....

Someone made an argument with me over it, saying: "It's their system, they can do what they like"....

Really not a justification to be uppity pr1cks about a system you used on top of other systems you ripped directly off of other games.

If Assassin's Creed's entire style was patented, we wouldn't have Shadow of Mordor, or Breath of the Wild, or Horizon Zero Dawn, or Ghost of Tsushima.

If Wolfenstein's entire style was patented, we would likely have none of the FPS games we have today.

One of a few major aspect of video games, particularly development, is innovation, influence and improvement. If it wasn't for GTA, we would never have gotten games like True Crime, and as a result of that we would never have Sleeping Dogs. Likewise Saints Row would never happen without San Andreas, and it came out at a perfect time as there were no GTA titles for the Xbox 360/PS3 and Saints Row filled that void, and now look at it. The game has a huge following (or at least it had one) but nonetheless the series was successful. Both Saints Row and San Andreas share a very similar theme, and Saints Row would eventually expand on its own and now it has its own style that separates it from GTA entirely.

If it wasn't for Midway's ridiculous over-the-top iterations of sports titles, we wouldn't have NBA Street or FIFA Street, and as a result we may not have had the Volta game mode that the modern instalments of FIFA currently have (take with a pinch of salt, but I like the mode personally). If Capcom patented all the mechanics, style and gameplay of Final Fight, Streets of Rage would never exist.

Castlevania Symphony of the Night would never have existed without the established existence of Super Metroid, and as a result we ended up with one of the best 2D games on the PlayStation, that ended up spanning a heap of class games on the DS, and now we have so many different "Metroidvanias" I would hate to imagine a world without the likes of Bloodstained Ritual of the Night or Hollow Knight. Hell, even Demon's/Dark Souls may not have existed without the Metroidvania style, if you pay attention to how the world expands the more you play.

One of my favourite genres of all time is the cinematic platformer, and the first game to ever come out in that style was Prince of Persia. If they patented that genre, or at least the use of rotoscoped animation, my favourite game of all time wouldn't exist - Flashback. If the cinematic platformer didn't exist, we wouldn't have Limbo, or Inside. We wouldn't have BlackThorne or Another World. Without Prince of Persia, we wouldn't have Assassin's Creed, and without Assassin's Creed, we wouldn't have Middle Earth Shadow of Mordor, and WB would want to take a hard look at that for themselves because what they're doing is tone-deaf and really bad for the industry.

The point I'm making is that the game industry lives off of a butterfly effect, and that's really important. Game companies need each other to improve or further innovate their games. If every game publisher patented every mechanic of every game that came out, we'd have a very segregated community filled with unoriginal, mediocre games. Eventually everyone would run out of ideas and games could potentially be more expensive than they already are, or worse, crumble into obscurity because nobody could innovate or improve anymore.

WB has a lot to be humble about because if it wasn't for their influence from other games - if the games WB took ideas from had their systems patented by their respective developers/publishers, then their precious Nemesis system wouldn't matter -- the game may not have existed to begin with.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Tl;DR - Every game is a copy of Pong in some way. :D

Tl;DR - Every game is a copy of Pong in some way. :D

If that was patented, Atari might have stayed in business :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

MetaHuman Creator is a cloud-streamed app that takes real-time digital human creation from weeks or even months to less than an hour—at an unprecedented standard of quality, fidelity, and realism. When your character is finished, you can export and download it, rigged and ready to animate in Unreal Engine

• Registered Users Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Equal parts impressive and creepy!

Said it before with Deep Fakes, but as well-meaning or innocent as this technology might be now, the implications and possibilities for subversive political/social purposes is more than worrying. Who needs Fake News when you could just spin together some "footage" of your enemy saying/ doing what you want them to?

Burn it all down, let's start the internet again :D

If that was patented, Atari might have stayed in business :pac:

Ralph baer actually has all the parents related to videogames and made a small fortune out of them.

• Advertisement
Advertisement