Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

pixelburp wrote: »
    Said it before with Deep Fakes, but as well-meaning or innocent as this technology might be now, the implications and possibilities for subversive political/social purposes is more than worrying. Who needs Fake News when you could just spin together some "footage" of your enemy saying/ doing what you want them to?

Burn it all down, let's start the internet again :D

Oh please, people made the same claims about social media being dangerous when that came out and everything turned out fine there. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

I've sunk a couple of hours into Connemara Postman Simulator and the effect it is having on me is weird. The story is absolute nonsense with some really daft characters and apart from trying not to let your packages get wet in the rain getting your ladder out like your about to do some DIY and crouching down and holding your breath to avoid the banshees, it doesn't feel like you're doing a whole lot. There's something hypnotic about it and even though I'm not sure if I'm enjoying it or not, I feel compelled to play it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,280 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I've sunk a couple of hours into Connemara Postman Simulator and the effect it is having on me is weird. The story is absolute nonsense with some really daft characters and apart from trying not to let your packages get wet in the rain getting your ladder out like your about to do some DIY and crouching down and holding your breath to avoid the banshees, it doesn't feel like you're doing a whole lot. There's something hypnotic about it and even though I'm not sure if I'm enjoying it or not, I feel compelled to play it.

Google brings up nothing.

I've two questions:

Where can I find this.

And if it doesn't exist then I hope everything is ok

• Registered Users Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Death Stranding, innit.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Oh. Anyone else genuinely disappointed there's no such actual game as "Connemara Postman Simulator"? :D

• Advertisement

Oh. Anyone else genuinely disappointed there's no such actual game as "Connemara Postman Simulator"? :D

We can always pretend that there's a postman running around with a fetus attached to his chest. :D

We can always pretend that there's a postman running around with a fetus attached to his chest. :D

They're all mad pro-lifers over in the wesht!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,280 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I am despite the fact that I still chuckled when the joke was explained to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

So far, the sale of the new consoles are record breaking, but that is a false measurement due to scalpers seizing the market. The number of actual console owners is probably quite low meaning that the sale of games exclusively for the new generation is low.

My question is, will this impact companies releasing the new generation exclusives if nobody has the consoles to play them on? The damage the scalpers are doing is devestating for the game industry.

Is the problem that scalpers are taking over the market or that we're told scalpers are taking over the market. How many people do you know bought a console off a scalper?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

Is the problem that scalpers are taking over the market or that we're told scalpers are taking over the market. How many people do you know bought a console off a scalper?

No one I am aware of anyway. It will be interesting to see the sales of halo and ratchet and clank, providing they are well received when they are released. In my opinion they will be much lower than anticipated.

Not sure what you mean by being told that scalpers are taking over the market, I think it is pretty obvious that they have.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

So far, the sale of the new consoles are record breaking, but that is a false measurement due to scalpers seizing the market. The number of actual console owners is probably quite low meaning that the sale of games exclusively for the new generation is low.

My question is, will this impact companies releasing the new generation exclusives if nobody has the consoles to play them on? The damage the scalpers are doing is devestating for the game industry.

Tone deaf on Sony (I didnt know if MS announced it) to celebrate these sale numbers as if it were legtimately that many consumers who bought it.

4.5 million PS5s were sold but I would not be surprised if the number of people who actually got them were less than 2.5. Aye that's a guestimate on my end with no proof to back it up...... but when arguably the biggest talking point about these systems, 3 months in, is still their availability (or lack thereof), it's hard to imagine otherwise.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I have no doubt scalpers / bots are something of an issue, but not a chance they’re hoarding millions of consoles either. They’re scalping for profit, not to have the consoles gathering dust. The vast majority of consoles are undoubtedly out there and in use.

While scalpers have increased the problem, the main one still is unprecedented demand due to the current lockdown circumstances. A PS5 or XBS or RTX3070 is simply something new and shiny in a period when everyday life is a bit of a drag. Just look at the PS or Xbox threads here - a lot of people are getting consoles when they’re released. The fact that relatively bot-proof sales - in-store, or email based like Harvey Norman - are still seeing huge demand shows supply simply hasn’t caught up yet, and likely won’t for a while.

Still, I think console manufacturers are well prepared for a modest start to the generation - with games growing more expensive to make, the cross-gen releases for most first party titles shows they’re keen to use the big last-gen user base while new gen take-up slowly reaches self-sustainable levels.

At least someone looking for a console has options. It's literally impossible to get a new RTX card and brexit has seriously limited options for irish buyers. Lack of retail means you have to rely on the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,354 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    At least someone looking for a console has options. It's literally impossible to get a new RTX card and brexit has seriously limited options for irish buyers. Lack of retail means you have to rely on the internet.

Yeah there used to be a German site, but doesnt seem to be there any more.

Anyone have any non UK sites?

Happy Valentine's Day to everyone.

Just to let you all know that if you are alone this valentine's day that I'm doing a 25% off special on retr0gamer bath water.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Just to let you all know that if you are alone this valentine's day that I'm doing a 25% off special on retr0gamer bath water.

Pics or gtfo :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Kiith wrote: »
    Pics or gtfo :pac:

Don’t bloody encourage him!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Just rewatching Moneyball (felt like a good "talking" movie, if that makes any sense), and holy shít, Bobby Kotick has a full scene with Brad Pitt, playing the baseball teams owner. Yes, that Bobby Kotick. Madness, how on earth did he swing that gig?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,910 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Does it come with a free copy of Ace Combat 7?

• Advertisement

Jordan 199 wrote: »

A particularly musky copy

Jordan 199 wrote: »

Worn and well used.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭YoshiSays

That'll rust people's steel books for sure. Or maybe it'll kill covid ?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,324 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Some interesting news on the next gen upgrades to Metro Exodus, but they've apparently totally rewritten their engine so that it runs at 4k60 on both consoles, with full ray traced lighting. If they can pull that off, I'll be extremely impressed. Ray tracing does indeed look excellent, but not at the cost of 60fps.

My guess is that the 4k must be only when looking at a blank wall, and a massive dynamic resolution when actually playing it.

See here.
    Metro Exodus will run at 4K / 60FPS with full Ray Traced lighting throughout on PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X. The base game and DLC expansions will feature both our ground-breaking Ray Traced Global Illumination (RTGI) and the Ray Traced Emissive Lighting techniques pioneered in The Two Colonels expansion across all content.

Metro Exodus

FPS. Check.
    Survival horror. Check.
    60 FPS. Check.
    RT. Check.
    Fun. Originality. Just One More Go Good Game Design. Hmmm.

Maybe it's me, but do people not get bored to tears with FPS games?
    The tech is incredible behind them, it's not like the developers are lacking or anything, but they've never really interested me.
    They all seem so floaty and similar. i.e. run around point cursor, shoot.
    I get that multiplayer is fun. But single player ...
    Why do I have an Xbox with Gamepass ... it's like chock full of FPS games.
    Even MS is bringing out a new Halo that'll be free day one on Gamepass.
    I'm really trying to like Titanfall 2. And it's good.
    But I've now got to the stage where I'm bored.
    And it's only a short campaign. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Cordell

I get that maybe multiplayer is fun. But single player ...
    ...is more funner :)

Yep, FTS is where the $$$ in game dev is at the moment.
    Especially multiplayer online FPS.
    Just not for me. Will crawl back to my cave :(

Actually I did enjoy Battlezone. The original :)
    That was an incredible FPS.
    Also, Metroid Prime. But that's really an adventure game.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,811 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I never played the Metro games but they sound interesting. I just get very bored playing fps when it's go from A to B shooting things. Like Doom, those games are just not for me. Metro games do anything differently?

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    I never played the Metro games but they sound interesting. I just get very bored playing fps when it's go from A to B shooting things. Like Doom, those games are just not for me. Metro games do anything differently?

I would say it's more like Stalker than Doom, you've got not too large open world areas but ultimately is A to B in that sense. But the reason I love it is authenticity, the environment feels authentic but the voice actors in particular are an aspect that I love, they're primarily built up of Ukrainians and Russians so it feels more authentic than a lot of games. Plus you've got a nice atmospheric dynamic survival horror.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Zero-Cool wrote: »

I've only played the latest Metro but i actually really liked it from start to finish. It reminded me of Fallout, but not so big of an open world, more linear but still places to explore. It does a good job at immersion and horror elements and i really liked the story/characters/weapons. You can also play total stealth or guns blazing..

I did play on PC, i cant play FPS on console because the controls are ****. But if yer console only and dont mind using a joypad in FPS, id defo recommend giving it a try..

Advertisement