Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

That ps5 update for metro sounds impressive. Bought the complete edition on sale recently. Glad I didn't play it yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,811 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

See now that interests me. The fact you can Stealth means it's not just running from one shooting arena to the next and i love a bitta horror. Am i right saying Exodus is the new one and redux is a remaster of the previous 2 games?

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    See now that interests me. The fact you can Stealth means it's not just running from one shooting arena to the next and i love a bitta horror. Am i right saying Exodus is the new one and redux is a remaster of the previous 2 games?

That would be correct, the Redux is from 2014 and Exodus is 2019. They're definitely not a standard FPS imho.

That would be correct, the Redux is from 2014 and Exodus is 2019. They're definitely not a standard FPS imho.

Damn, was on deep sale on psn just 2 weeks back. Will keep an eye out for it, sound lads.

So, been reading up on Metro this evening and I'm mad to try the trilogy now. Seems hard to buy except for full price digital or amazon. Redux was only 6 euro 4 days ago, sickened i missed that. Will just keep an eye out for another sale but really looking forward to playing these now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

The first two Metro games are good with Last Light the better of the two but Exodus is really disappointing. It was just a pain in the arse of a game. Wouldn't recommend it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Parsnips

I am wishing for the next " Elder Scrolls" to lose my life in.
    Ive no doubt that it will release on playstation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

The first two Metro games are good with Last Light the better of the two but Exodus is really disappointing. It was just a pain in the arse of a game. Wouldn't recommend it at all.

I have been meaning to buy those first two Metro games for years at this stage and they could go down to 50c each and I'd still say to myself "eh, I'll wait a while"

I don't know what's stopping me lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭recyclops

YoshiSays wrote: »
    Metro Exodus

FPS. Check.
    Survival horror. Check.
    60 FPS. Check.
    RT. Check.
    Fun. Originality. Just One More Go Good Game Design. Hmmm.

Maybe it's me, but do people not get bored to tears with FPS games?
    The tech is incredible behind them, it's not like the developers are lacking or anything, but they've never really interested me.
    They all seem so floaty and similar. i.e. run around point cursor, shoot.
    I get that multiplayer is fun. But single player ...
    Why do I have an Xbox with Gamepass ... it's like chock full of FPS games.
    Even MS is bringing out a new Halo that'll be free day one on Gamepass.
    I'm really trying to like Titanfall 2. And it's good.
    But I've now got to the stage where I'm bored.
    And it's only a short campaign. :)

if you cant enjoy titanfall 2 then the genre just isnt for you really, there are some good story based FPS (titanfall 2 included) bioshock, resident evil 7, alien isolation etc where the story is progressing more so than the gameplay itself.

I think your selling gamepass a disservice with saying its full of FPS games as when you remove the EA games that number significantly reduces due to battlefield mainly so the majority of games are not FPS.

There are some excellent single playere story driven games if that's what your after which would be the main genre of games I play, Alan Wake, Quantum Break, Control, fable 1 and 2 ( never liked 3), Hellblade and thats just off the top of my head

Then if its metroidvania you have the likes of ori 1 & 2, dead cells, celeste, carrion, hollow knight, guacamellee and probably more that I cant think of

Notably mentions to spiritfarer, unraveled 1 and 2 which are very good, 2 being an excellent couch co op, subnautica, tetrris, a tonne of final fantasys, fusion frenzy ( great for pick up and play when mates around if you can remember that) and lonely mountain downhill.

It also has one of the greatest games ever made in the witcher 3

Now this is just me off the top of my head but Gamepass is the best way to enter gaming at the mo in my opinion, the price cant be faulted nor really can the price.

of course if none of the games mentioned above are for you then yep its a waste of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

Those Metro games are a weird one for me, I have played 2-3 hours of all 3 of them and dropped them, despite actually liking them.

There was something off-putting about the open environments in exodus though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Playing through the 2013 Tomb Raider for the first time and it's seriously good. Always kind of had it written off as an Uncharted clone, a series that never really kept my attention but it's so much more and, for my money, a far better game.

Still looks great for a game that's eight years old as t the stage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭YoshiSays

Playing through the 2013 Tomb Raider for the first time and it's seriously good. Always kind of had it written off as an Uncharted clone, a series that never really kept my attention but it's so much more and, for my money, a far better game.

It's regularly on sale on the xbox store for a couple of quid.

Markitron wrote: »
    Those Metro games are a weird one for me, I have played 2-3 hours of all 3 of them and dropped them, despite actually liking them.

There was something off-putting about the open environments in exodus though.

Yea same. Couldn't get through Exodus as it just wasn't doing it for me. Really liked Last Light though and finished that.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

YoshiSays wrote: »
    It's regularly on sale on the xbox store for a couple of quid.

That's where I picked it up, absolutely worth every and more. Stands up so well for a game that's closing in on being a decade old.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭SomeSayKos

It's a decent game although I think the sequel is better. Overall though there's something really bland about the writing of those games that just seems a bit mediocre. Gameplay wise though yeah, good fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

SomeSayKos wrote: »
    It's a decent game although I think the sequel is better. Overall though there's something really bland about the writing of those games that just seems a bit mediocre. Gameplay wise though yeah, good fun!

I actually thought the opposite, liked the first one but thought the series got worse as it went on. The open-world nonsense of the second two games seemed really shoehorned in and completely wrecked the pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭waynescales1

Anyone ever play Vagrant Story for the PS1? Some game, takes a while to get used to the mechanics and character customisation but well worth it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,280 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Anyone ever play Vagrant Story for the PS1? Some game, takes a while to get used to the mechanics and character customisation but well worth it.

Yeah it's an incredible game. Fantastic story and world building by Matsuno that makes everything else in videogames seem shamefully bad. Didn't quite get the system on my first try a d was relying on 50 hit plus chain combos which was stupid. It's much better when you learn to craft weapons that do more than 1hp damage!

Crafting was a pain as you had to access the memory card so much. If they fixed that in a modern. Remake and just make it look better it would be great.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Yeah it's an incredible game. Fantastic story and world building by Matsuno that makes everything else in videogames seem shamefully bad. Didn't quite get the system on my first try a d was relying on 50 hit plus chain combos which was stupid. It's much better when you learn to craft weapons that do more than 1hp damage!

Crafting was a pain as you had to access the memory card so much. If they fixed that in a modern. Remake and just make it look better it would be great.

I'm about 60% of the way through on my first run. I'm actually struggling to follow some aspects of the story, spending most of my time grappling with the game mechanics and weapon crafting that you mention. I do like the medieval setting though.

The game definitely has its flaws. Patience is needed as there is a lot of time spent using the menu, containers and saving. The weapon crafting system could be better explained, i don't see a clear in game explanation of how to combine different materials to get the best weapons. There's an element of randomness to my attempts to use it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,280 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Read a faq. It's explains it better than anything else.

Also if you want some backstory leave the game running at the title screen. There's a second attract mode that explains a bit more.

The game was meant to be.less than 20 hours long but management weren't happy so there's a bit of padding with one annoying maze section later being a real pain. It's the only issue I have outside of the poorly explained crafting. You pretty much have to craft a selection of weapons with a wide range of elemental skills to deal with the enemies. It's worth finishing. The lead up to the end and ending are fantastic.

• Advertisement

It's.... Grand. Not a bad game and a lot of fun. Starts off really well and the. Turns into a uncharted clone but never gets as good as the best that series has to offer. I really played it way too safe with the game and it failed to stand out. it also has the same severe narrative dissonance issues of uncharted with the ludicrous body count.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

There's obviously a lot of ludonarrative dissonance but the gameplay itself was solid except for the use of QTE in certain parts. The problems between the narrative and the gameplay never drew me out of the game, they were more 'yeah, that was a bit silly the more I think about it' moments imo. I think the first game was at the same standard as the Uncharted series. It was a series of rapidly diminishing returns though and it had gotten pretty turgid by the time it got to Shadow.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I don't think Tomb Raider is a good game, alas, and its sequel was even worse . It was always sold as a more survival-centric, grittier and grounded take on Uncharted - but TBH it ended up being 'AAA Video Games: The Game'. It lost all the sense of fun and adventure from the original games, and was replaced with a sort of flavourless grit. A good case study in why to make a Naughty Dog style game you really need Naughty Dog levels of polish, performance and writing. The latter in particular was very, very poor in both Tomb Raider games I played. It was hard to take her story in any way seriously when she was offing generic grunts without breaking a sweat - the first kill was sold as this big, traumatic character moment, but then it was all business-as-usual for ol' murderin' Lara. The best of the Uncharted games at least don't even pretend to dwell on Drake's kill count.

I remember there's a bit in the first game where
    Lara is seriously injured and we see her painstakingly fashion some sort of impromptu fix. But within minutes she's back to effortless platforming and random goon genocide.
    Always struck me as an example of how the game toyed with these interesting character moments and gameplay opportunities, but never followed through on them to any interesting extent. But whatever about the first game, the move to annoying open world areas in part two killed all lingering interest in the rebooted series.

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

I own the the reboot Tomb Raider trilogy, but only completed the first one. Found it pretty good, pretty much Uncharted but with a more serious tone and not quite as good overall. Played a small bit of the second one and well it seemed just fine but for whatever reason I just stopped playing it and never went back too it. Dunno if that says more about me than the game though as I've done that on a number of games.

The Metro games never set my world on fire. I played a good chunk of Metro 2033 and was having a decent enough time when I got to this janky underground bridge crossing and I can remember getting really frustrated as for what ever reason my guns didn't seem to want to hit anyone anymore, no matter how well I aimed and there was no way to stealth it. Gave up playing it because of that.

I beat Metro Last Light and thought it was solid if unspectacular FPS game.

I've since picked up the Redux versions of both games for free but not really had the urge to go back to them and not overly interested in picking up Exodus unless I see it going for really cheap.

I'd love to see them return to the exploration focus of the first game. I played through a few of the Tomb Raiders recently and the first despite the dodgy graphics still holds up. It's you versus the environment and it's just a joy to overcome it. The sequels got worse as the focus turned to action and ultimately I stopped at TR3 (which is a pity as I hear Last Revelation is a brilliant return to form and I've never played it). The only recent games that emulate that you versus the environment feeling have been La Mulana and BotW to a certain extent.

The world doesn't need another Uncharted clone but it would be great to see a Tomb Raider game about raiding actual tombs and solving rube goldberg machine puzzles. The series just feels like it's treading water and following industry trends rather than being the trendsetter the original was.

Replaying Dark Souls 2, picked it up on sale the other night. I'd not played it since it came out on 360 nor have I played the DLC. Relieved to discover it plays well on series X unlike Dark Souls 3 which is practically unplayable on there.

Few things that I'd forgotten about that annoy like having to go back to the herald to level up and diminishing heath if you die while hollow. Breezed through it for the most part but forgot about areas like Harvest Valley/Earthen Peak. Online is pretty dead, in the other games I liked to throw my sign down after beating a boss for some co-op and I recall the soul memory thing in this too.

Tomb Raider 2 was a superb game. The Venice, Oil Rig and Tibetan Monastery settings were fantastic. The first Tibetan Monastery level is one of the best I've played in any game.

Tomb Raider 2 was a superb game. The Venice, Oil Rig and Tibetan Monastery settings were fantastic. The first Tibetan Monastery level is one of the best I've played in any game.

It really doesn't hold up. It's big levels, more action, more weapons, more vehicles and yet way less fun and a lot of the levels are boring or make no sense architecturally.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    It really doesn't hold up. It's big levels, more action, more weapons, more vehicles and yet way less fun and a lot of the levels are boring or make no sense architecturally.

Never played the first one, think I’ll give it a go after VS. Made in 1996, I’m expecting some woeful graphics.

• Advertisement

Bought Metro Redux for a tenner on Amazon, looking forward to giving that a lash.

Also good to hear about Dark Souls 2. The worst Souls game (not including Sekiro) but still a good game.

Advertisement