Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Never had one, but my next door neighbour got one when they came out - probably cumulative weeks of our lives were lost to Tomb Raider, Crash Bandicoot, and the worst sports game I may have ever played - Adidas Power Soccer (think it came with the console) where you just kicked off, hit a full power shot immediately, and in the goal it went time after time after time.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,017 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

J. Marston wrote: »
    Kurushi..

I loved that game! I must try and find it again! Serious brain teaser of a game!

I still have my PS1 with Demo 1, them were the days! That banging synth track at the menu!!!

Do ye remember the game on demo 1, you were a boat. I'm sure it was called overboard. That was some game. Hard though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Cool Boarders 2 was our go to game when we were drunk in the house.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,387 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

There will never be another console like the PS1 again. Only the DS came close. It was a weird combination of extremely reasonable licensing fees, great development tools and a very inexpensive media in CD.

What you ended up with was a library rich with experimentation and weirdness alongside the big box busters. 3D genres hadn't been pinned down so there was so many interesting and weird experiments. A lot of the early 3D doesn't live up but it was good enough that the best games are still playable and worth a look.

Compare that today to how safe and boring everything is. Even the indie game scene is mostly rehashes or mash ups of existing genres with the odd exception. I doubt there'll be a more exciting time to be into games than back then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

Member Tenchu Stealth Assassin.

"Oh look a bowl of rice is just sitting there and I'm feeling peckish.
    Nom, nom, nom.
    Oh no it's poisoned I'm doomed. Aarrrgh!"

The debug mode in tenchu was something else. I remember you could add whole new sets of enemies and even assign one of them to the second controller for some crappy multiplayer action

• Registered Users Posts: 45,847 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    There will never be another console like the PS1 again. Only the DS came close. It was a weird combination of extremely reasonable licensing fees, great development tools and a very inexpensive media in CD.

What you ended up with was a library rich with experimentation and weirdness alongside the big box busters. 3D genres hadn't been pinned down so there was so many interesting and weird experiments. A lot of the early 3D doesn't live up but it was good enough that the best games are still playable and worth a look.

Compare that today to how safe and boring everything is. Even the indie game scene is mostly rehashes or mash ups of existing genres with the odd exception. I doubt there'll be a more exciting time to be into games than back then.

If I had a switch I would be pretty excited to play Zelda and Mario on it.

Resident Evil 7, Horizon Zero Dawn, Persona 5, PUBG, Hellblade, Cuphead all came out this year and are all superb.

Online 'service' games like GTA:Online, Destiny, Warframe over the last few years - within this generation.

The arrival of the switch in general bringing proper AAA titles to a mobile arena.

VR becoming something that is actually possible to game in and have fun experiences.

To be honest, i'm pretty excited about where games are right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

This bothers me (in relative terms!). Everything feels the same. You really have to dig through the heavily publicised AAA monetised tripe to find something refreshing. I feel heavy development costs are pushing games into a more templated format.

Zelda was such a tonic though.

Maybe I'm expecting too much from the medium.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

I wouldn't get too down about it. I mean in the last week or so between games being released that caught my eye while in development or ones which other folk in the office were playing that looked neat, there was Tower57, They Are Billions, Slayaway Camp, AER and Tooth & Tail. Obviously they're not all PS1-level of innovative but surely there's enough quality and variety out there to keep anyone entertained?

And as I'm typing this I just got a mail saying Yomawari: Night Alone is on sale. Ugh, no wonder I have a Wishlist that's a good chunk the size of my actual Library. :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,839 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Speaking of the epic PS1, how cool was Driver!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

And the nonsense mechanics gave some great belly laughs... e.g at 1:00 in that video above, RIP space cops. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Speaking of the epic PS1, how cool was Driver!

Amazing! Driver 2 especially.

Also Time Crisis. A lot of these were new experiences which is why I think they are now so fondly remembered.

1174471341.jpg

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,379 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Three words for ye

Legend Of Dragoon!

giphy.gif

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Pac1Man wrote: »
    This bothers me (in relative terms!). Everything feels the same. You really have to dig through the heavily publicised AAA monetised tripe to find something refreshing. I feel heavy development costs are pushing games into a more templated format.

Zelda was such a tonic though.

Maybe I'm expecting too much from the medium.

I don't understand this attitude at all. I'm playing Witcher 3 at the moment which is just brilliant and I'll probably pick up Wolfenstein: New Colossus next. In the last year I've played Firewatch, Soma, Doom, Until Dawn, What Remains of Edith Finch, Hue, Inside, Dishonoured 2 and Witness amongst others. I've had a blast with all those and they've all given me different experiences. I never paid any extra money on any of them either. There's plenty of variety out there.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,387 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Three words for ye

Legend of Dragoon!

...... I shouldn't get worked up but **** that game.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,379 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Some day i will play Legend Of Dragoon. I've heard so much about it here. It can't be that bad surely

Some day i will play Legend Of Dragoon. I've heard so much about it here. It can't be that bad surely

Don't mind retro, its a great little game!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 SnitchenBubs

I see Batman Arkham Knight is only €14 on the PS Network...is it worth it as It'll be my first batman game?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,839 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I see Batman Arkham Knight is only €14 on the PS Network...is it worth it as It'll be my first batman game?

Definitely worth 14 but nowhere near as good as Arkham Asylum which you can get remastered along with Arkham City, both being better than Knight

• Registered Users Posts: 33,686 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Definitely worth 14 but nowhere near as good as Arkham Asylum which you can get remastered asking with Arkham City, both being better than Knight

Agreed. You'd be better off starting with those anyway due to story. All three are worth playing, but Knight is generally considered the weakest of the three.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,443 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

it's just too easy :P

Skerries wrote: »
    it's just too easy :P

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,017 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Penn wrote: »
    Agreed. You'd be better off starting with those anyway due to story. All three are worth playing, but Knight is generally considered the weakest of the three.

I'll concur with this. Asylum is the best, followed by City and then Knight (plus Origins, which is good enough even though it's made by a different crowd). You really do need to play them in that order to get the full story, and you'll only ruin the first 2 if you play Knight first, as it continues the story!

Don't mind retro, its a great little game!

Seeing as i'm doing feck all tonight i've downloaded Legend Of Dragoon. I'll report back with my findings:)

It's not the worst ps1 rpg but that's not to say it's good. The real kicker is that it's the most cynical and vapid RPG on the system. A cash grab by Sony that tried to appeal to jrpg fans through design by committee. It's so unoriginal but also has a god awful battle system that plain doesn't work. When you have a battle system relying on split second button presses that runs at 15 fps (12 if you were silly enough to get the even worse PAL European version) then the resulting input lag really doesn't help.

It's not the worst ps1 rpg .

I think I need too sit down.......

Faints.gif

Ill send you with them, not to Hellenna...
    TO HELL!!!
    ffs:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Sieghardt

It's pretty great, most of the negativity you'll hear about it is from people who played FF7 as their first JRPG ever and then thought Cloud invented blond spiky hair and swords :pac: and were mad the game "Ripped ff7 off!" despite having almost no similarities to it

Advertisement