Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,387 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

But it follows the exact same story beats as FF7 but does it terribly. It just feels so corporate and insincere like it was designed by a bunch of suits to appeal to the market rather than actually being made with creativity. There's just no spark of love or fun in it.

It's down there with beyond the beyond in terms of PS1 RPGs and on t h at system there are literally dozens of RPGs worth playing before it.

Go play Grandia instead for the love of god!

Grandia is quality. I remember picking it up for 12.99 when the PS1 was on the way out and publishers were rereleasing all the old titles at budget prices. I think it was ubisoft published it?

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Sieghardt

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Go play Grandia instead for the love of god!

You know how to win me over :p

• Registered Users Posts: 29,839 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

• Registered Users Posts: 23,174 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Words are wind.

Cyberpunk is probably still at least 3 years away, that tweet will be long forgotten/ignored if they do decide to go down any microtransaction/lootbox route.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭wheresmahbombs

Cyberpunk looks to be quite intriguing, judging by the current media that's out there. Hope CDPR don't pull off a Duke Nukem Forever with this one.

I have faith in them to do a good job but tbh I think we're way overdue a bit of gameplay footage

I would have liked to see some gameplay footage too. At least they're taking their time with the game and not rushing it out like some companies do.

I would have liked to see some gameplay footage too. At least they're taking their time with the game and not rushing it out like some companies do.

Yeah true, I'd say we have another 2 years before we get it on our hands though but tbf if it's half as good as Witcher 3 it'll be day 1 for me

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

I have faith in them to do a good job but tbh I think we're way overdue a bit of gameplay footage

They probley learned their lesson with the Witcher 3 and how its early demos had better graphics that ended up having to be scaled back some.

• Advertisement

Knowing CDPR's reputation, I do have high expectations for the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Venom wrote:
    They probley learned their lesson with the Witcher 3 and how its early demos had better graphics that ended up having to be scaled back some.

They always kinda make a mess of development early on & crunch for a looong time so lose a lot of staff after each game. I put up a video on here a few weeks ago; long story short don't go holding your breath on Cyberpunk anytime soon.

I'm intrigued, but not extremely hyped, so I won't be holding my breath on it.

Isn't it true that despite CD:PR's success with Witcher 3, they had to let go a lot of people?

Isn't it true that despite CD:PR's success with Witcher 3, they had to let go a lot of people?

I think staff left but it was their own choice. I could be wrong though

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,387 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Happens at the end of most if not all development projects.

I have just found out that Monkey Island is actually the term for a part of a ship.
    The term “monkey island” refers to a place on the ship which is located at the top most accessible height. Technically, it is a deck located directly above the navigating bridge of the ship. It is also referred to as the flying bridge on top of a pilothouse or chart house, and also as the ship’s upper bridge. Sailors would use this place to perform solar and stellar observations.

https://www.marineinsight.com/marine-navigation/what-is-monkey-island-on-ships/

This has totally blown my mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 SnitchenBubs

Some good deals on black Friday, Horizon zero dawn for about €30 on the PSN, considering getting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Some good deals on black Friday, Horizon zero dawn for about €30 on the PSN, considering getting it.
    It's €23.99 from Argos for a physical copy. :)

Check arogs, a few of the games in the sale can be cheaper there than on the store. Horizon is 23.99 in arogs and Nioh is 16.99.

EDIT: Gizmo ninja'd me /shakes fist :D

• Advertisement

Yea! Someone I know made an app that is to automatically calculate distances when out at sea. When I looked at it one of the three options for locations was "Monkey Island". They would have played the game as a child, so sent them a message saying I loved the reference and thought he had forgotten to take it out.

Turns out, nope, it's part of a ship.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

So, we've made it to December and it's nearly time to vote for the Game Awards on here. It's been a pretty interesting year between the launch of the Switch, the rejuvenation of some old series like Resident Evil and decimation of others (Mass Effect), the launch of some interesting new IPs, the success of Hellblade pointing to a possible future for mid-budget, mid-priced games and the controversy surrounding Shadow of War and Battlefront and their implementation of lootboxes.

So what have been the highs and lows for all of you on here?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,839 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Yakuza 0, GOTY, Best Story, Best Character (Majima), Most Fun, WTF were they thinking (some of the side quests are bat**** crazy), Pleasant surprise (had never played the franchise before). Gonna be voting for that a lot!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Horizon Zero Dawn for me, first play-through was amazing, really enjoyed the story and the tall grass that made you totally invisible

• Registered Users Posts: 33,686 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Horizon Zero Dawn game of the year for me. Loved every minute of it. The gameplay is terrific, the world and graphics are spellbinding and the story was far better and deeper than I'd thought it would be. One of my favourite games in years.

Another high this year was Crash Bandicoot. I loved the original games and getting to play them again was just a lot of fun. The devs put a lot of love into the remakes and it shows. Fun and frustrating (especially relics in the older games) but enjoyed the absolute hell out of it.

Biggest low would have to be Destiny 2. The campaign was a huge improvement on D1 and there were a lot of improvements, but it again feels empty and small, and pulls you into needless grinding loops and forced multiplayer, and the reuse of so many assets from the first game, particularly enemies, was so disappointing and lazy. I might pick it up again in 2 years when they've mostly fixed everything like what happened with D1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Zelda BOTW, as someone who had never had much of any interest in any Zelda game, was absolutely mind-blowing for me. Have not played Mario Odyssey but I can't think of anything else that could beat it to GOTY. If they can keep it up, the re-emergence of Nintendo might well be the highest point for me, love the enthusiasm and genuine attempts to try new things (even to their own detriment) that they go for, as opposed to the safety-first approach of PS and XBox.

Biggest low point might be ME: Andromeda... I've been out of gaming for donkeys years until about last November and that game seemed like it was going to be impossibly brilliant, yet I keep hearing how much of a let down it is. That said I haven't even got around to playing it, so I'll give the 'lowest low' award to the constant d*ckign around on Star Citizen which I'm now more on the side of believing is a game that will never actually be finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,090 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

My thoughts on it

Cuphead - Indie of the Year
    Zelda - Game of Year
    Destiny 2 - Biggest Disappointment
    Horizon Zero Dawn - Best New IP

I'm sure Mario will pick up a few awards as well though.

Can't decide between zelda and Mario for game of the year. Nintendo just knocked it out of the park with those two.

Disappointments would be horizon, I know it's a good game but it just feels so archaic when Zelda came out and shook things up for open world games. The dialogue was woeful as well.

Best soundtrack is a toss up between blue reflection and Nier automata.

Story and writing would have to go to Nier. That game has so many problems but the experience as a whole was worth it.

Didn't really play anything bad this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,174 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Horizon GOTY. Echo everything else that was said about it. It proved you don't need to innovate to make something great.

Hellblade was great too.

EA for fúckheads of the year.

• Advertisement

Screw EA and their pay-to-win loot box ****ery with BFII.

Advertisement