Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭CastielJ

I don't have much time for playing games 'cause of work but I am a fan of escape games. Last week I encouraged my coworkers to attend one of them explained it as a team building game. So we split up to teams of 4 people and went to the Clinic quest room , https://thequestfactory.com/corporate-team-building/. The staff was great, very helpful during the game. The puzzles and and decorations were very well-made. We had a lot of fun and I think it made our collective even more friendly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

CastielJ wrote: »
    I don't have much time for playing games 'cause of work but I am a fan of escape games. Last week I encouraged my coworkers to attend one of them explained it as a team building game. So we splitted to a team of 4 people and went to the Clinic quest room , https://thequestfactory.com/corporate-team-building/. The staff was great, very helpful during the game. The puzzles and and decorations were very well-made. We had a lot of fun and I think it made our collective even more friendly.

Would that entail interacting with real people? I couldn't be having that…

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭CastielJ

CastielJ wrote: »
    I don't have much time for playing games 'cause of work but I am a fan of escape games. Last week I encouraged my coworkers to attend one of them explained it as a team building game. So we splitted to a team of 4 people and went to the Clinic quest room , https://thequestfactory.com/corporate-team-building/. The staff was great, very helpful during the game. The puzzles and and decorations were very well-made. We had a lot of fun and I think it made our collective even more friendly.

Would that entail interacting with real people? I couldn't be having that…
    yes it's the main point of team building games

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Just in case folks don't visit other parts of the site, Boards have secured an AMA with Videogame Journalist Danny O Dwyer, formerly of Gamespot, and now out on his own making video game documentaries, he did a few great pieces on DOOM, the Witcher 3 and rocket league. the link is here
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057816793

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 55 ✭✭Cocksy

I am playing now “Destiny 2”

Cocksy wrote: »
    I am playing now “Destiny 2”

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 29,839 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Looks like Horizon Zero Dawn is gonna steam roll the Boards Games Awards...Boooooorrrriinnngggg

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Looks like Horizon Zero Dawn is gonna steam roll the Boards Games Awards...Boooooorrrriinnngggg

Popular Game in 'Game being Popular' shocker.

Same thing is going to happen with Zelda on the Switch.

Ah no, I meant the game itself was boring :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,953 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Wolfenstein 2: The New Colossus. I had a great time playing that.

Obviously more people disagree than agree with you. I thought the game was excellent.

I can't get the love for Zelda though. From what I've seen of it, it's just another open world experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

Ah horses for courses and all that. Your beloved Yakuza 0 for example, I got really bored after 10 or so hours. Felt more like watching a movie than playing a game, so traded it in!

I can't get the love for Zelda though. From what I've seen of it, it's just another open world experience.

hthemu.jpg

(I haven't played it either, I just thought I'd provide the necessary overreaction.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Wouldn't be so sure with Mario, Nintendo have pulled off some coup there - haven't got to play Mario yet, but by the sounds of things it's the only game to really challenge Zelda for overall GOTY (with all due respect to HZD which along somewhat with The Last Guardian, is the one game that really makes me wish I owned a PS4).

Can anyone offer their thoughts on either of the following games for my Christmas/December plunge? They're both games I've never played before and are decently priced on Xbox store at the moment...

Fallout 4 - I've only ever played New Vegas, and really like it. However, I hear that Fallout 4 was a let down for fans of the series, and is nothing like New Vegas. I do like the shooting elements of New Vegas, and never really committed 100% to any one faction in the game...if those details help to gauge whether I'd like Fallout 4 or not.

Far Cry 4 - I adored Far Cry 3 on the 360, it was a really fun game with a cool, mysterious setting. I haven't got around to Far Cry 4 yet, and was considering giving it a go.

Both these games are around €30 at the moment for their basic version. I'd consider giving either of them a run, and then buying the DLC later on if I liked the basic game.

Alternatively...

I'm considering my 2nd play-through of The Witcher 3. I haven't yet played the Blood and Wine DLC, but thought Hearts of Stone was amazing. However, I only played The Witcher 3 for the first time around this time last year. Admittedly, I loved it and think about it often, but maybe it's a bit too soon to go back.

Skyrim. I haven't touched it in 2 years, and am interested in playing the remastered Xbox version at some point. Especially since the next installment of the Elder Scrolls isn't coming this side of 2020. I've tried to play Oblivion, twice, but just can't get into it beyond the first 20 minutes of starting a new game.

Thoughts?

I like open worlds, shooters/combat, decent story, side quests, leveling up. As a casual gamer, there are loads of quality titles in that vein which I'm sure I've missed out on the 360 never mind the One. If anyone reading could suggest one of those instead of the above titles, that would be great too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,387 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

For me Horizon is the ubisoft open world formula done well.

Zelda on the other hand basically made me understand why I hate the ubisoft formula, it's boring skinner box design. Zelda is the open world done properly and as such it's the only open world I've truly loved fit a long time. It's not about scripted missions and hand holding. It should be about exploration and experimentation something the genre has slowly list sight of since GTA 3 and become so stale.

And even at that Mario Odyssey is better. That game is just an utter joy and takes the exploration and experimentation seen in Zelda to a whole different level.

I really, really like Fallout 4... but outside of GTAIV, GTAV and the occasional sports game I hadn't played any games in close to a decade at the time. I got it on the cheap replayed it there a few months ago and have to be honest, it was very bland and boring compared to other titles like MGSV, Witcher 3, etc. I can also totally see what I was struggling to on my first run through which is the lack of real choice. You're almost always given three of your four choices as a 'yes' and when you try to use the fourth ('no') it's basically just taken as "ok not now I get it. Ask again later" at which point you get to repeat that cycle again (and again and again and again) or take one of the three 'yes' answers that you were clearly supposed to at the start.

The dialogue also often doesn't come over remotely like it looks like it will when you select it (often times because it looks like a 'no' answer but is actually a 'yes' - e.g. when propositioned "I don't know about that..." becomes "I don't know about that, but yeah sure I guess I could give it a try!") - though apparently there are mods to fix that.

I guess it's worth a crack for a tenner or less, but I wouldn't go spending much of any more than that. The DLCs are ok, but nothing special either... Far Harbor was fun, but Nuke World bored me to tears almost instantly).

I lasted a couple of hours on Fallout 4, stopped playing and haven't gone back. I've no real inclination to either. Far Cry 4 is just like Far Cry 3 except not as interesting. I played about 8-10 hours of 4 before getting bored with it. You'll pick both of those games up for under twenty euros in Argos and the Fallout GOTY edition is under €30 so they might be worth getting.

Just looking through the games available in Argos at the moment, these are what I'd recommend.

You could get Dying Light: The Following Edition - an open world zombie game with parkour elements and a certain amount of leveling up. Side quests as well. It can get frantic at times. Well worth a go. It's about €20 in Argos at the moment.

Dishonored 2 is a fantastic game as well. FPS which rewards stealth. Leveling up in that as well. I love the series. €12 in Argos. You could check out Prey from the same studio as well. €15.

Borderlands: The Handsome Collection which contains remastered versions of Borderlands 2 and Borderlands The Pre-Sequel. FPS with RPG elements. Could be right down your alley. €15 in Argos.

Also, Doom because, well… its Doom. €12 is unreal value for this.

Witcher 3 DLC blood and wine is better than both fallout 4 and far cry 4 put together, can't recommend it enough.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭wheresmahbombs

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Zelda is the open world done properly and as such it's the only open world I've truly loved fit a long time. It's not about scripted missions and hand holding. It should be about exploration and experimentation something the genre has slowly list sight of since GTA 3 and become so stale.

Experimentation is one of the beauties that games can permit when scripted sequences are done away with.

Witcher 3 DLC blood and wine is better than both fallout 4 and far cry 4 put together, can't recommend it enough.

Actually I had missed that - would definitely second this, one of the top five games of last year, full stop.

Thanks very much for the replies.
    Billy86 wrote: »
    I really, really like Fallout 4... but outside of GTAIV, GTAV and the occasional sports game I hadn't played any games in close to a decade at the time. I got it on the cheap replayed it there a few months ago and have to be honest, it was very bland and boring compared to other titles like MGSV, Witcher 3, etc. I can also totally see what I was struggling to on my first run through which is the lack of real choice. You're almost always given three of your four choices as a 'yes' and when you try to use the fourth ('no') it's basically just taken as "ok not now I get it. Ask again later" at which point you get to repeat that cycle again (and again and again and again) or take one of the three 'yes' answers that you were clearly supposed to at the start.

The dialogue also often doesn't come over remotely like it looks like it will when you select it (often times because it looks like a 'no' answer but is actually a 'yes' - e.g. when propositioned "I don't know about that..." becomes "I don't know about that, but yeah sure I guess I could give it a try!") - though apparently there are mods to fix that.

I guess it's worth a crack for a tenner or less, but I wouldn't go spending much of any more than that. The DLCs are ok, but nothing special either... Far Harbor was fun, but Nuke World bored me to tears almost instantly).

Hmm, that doubles down on the negatives that I've already read about the dialogue in the game. I do like having genuine choices in a game, but by the sounds of it Fallout 4 tries to cover up the fact that you have little to no choice by providing lots of dialogue which amounts to little. And eventually the game gets you to follow the way/story it wants you to follow.

Don't get me wrong, I do like partaking in main quests and finishing them, I'm not one of those "I've clocked 1000 hours in Skyrim and I haven't even gone to Riverwood yet!" kind of players, but I don't like my open world game overly forcing me onto the next chapter of the main story.

I might actually give Fallout 4 a miss for now. I'm about 20 hours into my most recent play-through of New Vegas and thought I should use my game-time to play something fresher. However, I'll probably just stick with FNV as my Fallout fix for now.

Speaking of Fallout and DLC, the DLC for New Vegas is pretty great overall. If you haven't played New Vegas, the GOTY edition is very good value and an amazing game. Backwards compatible too.
    I lasted a couple of hours on Fallout 4, stopped playing and haven't gone back. I've no real inclination to either. Far Cry 4 is just like Far Cry 3 except not as interesting. I played about 8-10 hours of 4 before getting bored with it. You'll pick both of those games up for under twenty euros in Argos and the Fallout GOTY edition is under €30 so they might be worth getting.

Just looking through the games available in Argos at the moment, these are what I'd recommend.

You could get Dying Light: The Following Edition - an open world zombie game with parkour elements and a certain amount of leveling up. Side quests as well. It can get frantic at times. Well worth a go. It's about €20 in Argos at the moment.

Dishonored 2 is a fantastic game as well. FPS which rewards stealth. Leveling up in that as well. I love the series. €12 in Argos. You could check out Prey from the same studio as well. €15.

Borderlands: The Handsome Collection which contains remastered versions of Borderlands 2 and Borderlands The Pre-Sequel. FPS with RPG elements. Could be right down your alley. €15 in Argos.

Also, Doom because, well… its Doom. €12 is unreal value for this.

Ok, that's not a deal-breaker for Far Cry 4, I'm still interested. As for the rest...

Never heard of Dying Light. I remember 2 fun games from years ago, Left 4 Dead and Mirror's Edge, and what you described sounds like a combination of the 2, roughly speaking. I will give this a look, definitely. Thanks.

Dishonored 2 and Borderlands are 2 titles/series I've never partaken in and am interested in. Had forgotten about them until you mentioned them.

Doom, I'm ashamed to admit, I've never played on any format in all the decades I've been around for gaming. No particular reason, I don't even know much about it beyond the title. I'll check it out.

Thanks, that puts things in perspective as far as F4 and FC4 go!

I regret not getting to play B+W on my first playthrough and therefore it is a great incentive to replay TW3. Never mind the fact that TW3 itself is one of the best games I've played. It will definitely be getting another play in the coming months.

• Can anyone offer their thoughts on either of the following games for my Christmas/December plunge? They're both games I've never played before and are decently priced on Xbox store at the moment...

Fallout 4 - I've only ever played New Vegas, and really like it. However, I hear that Fallout 4 was a let down for fans of the series, and is nothing like New Vegas. I do like the shooting elements of New Vegas, and never really committed 100% to any one faction in the game...if those details help to gauge whether I'd like Fallout 4 or not.

Far Cry 4 - I adored Far Cry 3 on the 360, it was a really fun game with a cool, mysterious setting. I haven't got around to Far Cry 4 yet, and was considering giving it a go.

Both these games are around €30 at the moment for their basic version. I'd consider giving either of them a run, and then buying the DLC later on if I liked the basic game.

Alternatively...

I'm considering my 2nd play-through of The Witcher 3. I haven't yet played the Blood and Wine DLC, but thought Hearts of Stone was amazing. However, I only played The Witcher 3 for the first time around this time last year. Admittedly, I loved it and think about it often, but maybe it's a bit too soon to go back.

Skyrim. I haven't touched it in 2 years, and am interested in playing the remastered Xbox version at some point. Especially since the next installment of the Elder Scrolls isn't coming this side of 2020. I've tried to play Oblivion, twice, but just can't get into it beyond the first 20 minutes of starting a new game.

Thoughts?

I like open worlds, shooters/combat, decent story, side quests, leveling up. As a casual gamer, there are loads of quality titles in that vein which I'm sure I've missed out on the 360 never mind the One. If anyone reading could suggest one of those instead of the above titles, that would be great too.

You should really give Mad Max a go on Xbox 1
    Sound like you would love it and it's so faithful to the movies.
    And I think it's free on Xbox games pass

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I really really liked Far Cry 3. Started Far Cry 4 which was largely much of the same but for some reason it never grabbed me. I'd enjoy it up to a point but then get tired of it. Is it worth it for the price you can get it now? Probably but your overriding impression will be one of disappointment.

Bought into the hype of Fallout 4 got it but quickly grew bored of it. No interest in going back.

Borderlands 2 is certainly worth picking up imo.

I'm not prepared to give my opinion on the Witcher 3 on an online forum :) Ah just kidding it's grand but it wouldn't be one of my favourites. It's just an opinion.

I actually really couldn't get into Breath of the Wild. I sank in maybe 10 - 15 hours and couldn't be arsed moving past that. Loved every second of Zero Dawn, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

I actually really couldn't get into Breath of the Wild. I sank in maybe 10 - 15 hours and couldn't be arsed moving past that. Loved every second of Zero Dawn, though.

I was the same!
    Just wasn't enjoying it!
    Turned it off and never turned it on again!
    Too many RPG elements for me :)

Well, I've finally done it and cracked open Skyrim (goodbye cruel world)... never played it before and what I had read abvout hre combat being a bit dated and clunky is true, but otherwise it seems to hold up very well so far.

Any suggestions for mods? I'm not looking for any total overhauls or anything, but more along the lines of improving graphics, foliage etc... I even found one to make NPCs apparently more interesting/useful that seems worthwhile, but the game kept crashing on launch because I downloaded about 30 from Nexus and had them all on at once, so never got to figure out which was causing the issue as I was eager to get up and into the game!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Internet Friend

Modding Skyrim you absolutely must clean the master files. Bethesda left a lot of duplicate files in the updates and expansions that can cause havoc if modding the game.

Start here, then mod the game. So mods you've installed to date, uninstall them and once master files are clean start modding again.

It would also be a good idea to start a new save as the current / old save will most likely be corrupt and become more unstable the more you progress through the game.

When it comes to Mods, check out Gophers vids and look through his Mod Sanctuary. A lot have been moved over to Skyrim SE now. But in general with mods, it's purely down to what you want to do yourself. Make sure to follow the installation instructions provided in each mod.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

The Unofficial Fixes mod for the base game and DLC are usually a good idea too. Not sure if they have been ported to the remaster though.

Advertisement