Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭JimBurnley

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Most importantly, it will have the ability for reactions so i can 'disagree' with any anti Days Gone posts :)

Boozer likes this

• Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Most importantly, it will have the ability for reactions so i can 'disagree' with any anti Days Gone posts :)

Cool. So I can disagree with all the Ace Combat 7 haters. All is well.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Jordan 199 wrote: »

Ace combat 7 is s**t.

Joking I never even played it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

Jordan 199 wrote: »

What Ace Combat 7 haters? We all agreed it was great, it is known.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,809 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Markitron wrote: »

It's about as known as Unity is the best Assassin's Creed game :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭JimBurnley

Markitron wrote: »

Days Gone > AC7

• Registered Users Posts: 33,603 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Jesus who do I have to speak to to get Boards shut down earlier...

• Registered Users Posts: 29,031 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

They have to get the pro AC7/Unity/Days Gone posts in now to make up for not being able to do it for a couple days.

Not gaming, but I wonder will those badges be starting when they're setup or will they be retroactive.
    Don't know if I want more reminders of how much time I've been here and how many posts I've made.

It's about as known as Unity is the best Assassin's Creed game :D

I dunno, Ace Combat got good reviews on release and was warmly welcomed by long term fans of the series. Neither of these are true of Unity.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,584 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

JimBurnley wrote: »
    Days Gone > AC7

You're playing a dangerous game my friend

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,279 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

JimBurnley wrote: »
    Days Gone > AC7

You've gone too far now.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,031 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Ah sure all these AC games are the same, whether Ace Combat, Assassin's Creed or Animal Crossing. Hard to tell the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,844 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Ah sure all these AC games are the same, whether Ace Combat, Assassin's Creed or Animal Crossing. Hard to tell the difference.

Not an Armored Core fan? :pac:

Jokes aside, I'm glad you've said this as it's about to prove my point.

Think I'd just use the disagree button for times when Retro would post "Days Gone sux, Ace Combat 7 rules", the 'disagree' button would save me posting the below. But yes, if there was actual serious discussion going on, you'd hope someone would post why they don't agree instead of just clicking a button.

aQpOEzM.gif

Thanks to Johnny Ultimate for recommending Xcom 2. I never had any interest in those type games but thankfully i had it from ps plus and gave it a spin, couldn't stop playing it for the last couple of weeks. Just cleared it and now really want that xcom type marvel game that was rumoured.

Can't recommend it enough even if you don't think you're into squad taking turns strategy games.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Have played a lot of bigger budget games this year (ie lots of Monster Hunter!), so trying to catch up on some of the recent indies.

Boomerang X - fantastic old school arena shooter with lots of modern flourishes and ideas. You're armed only with a boomerang, with the extra catch that you can instantly teleport yourself to wherever the boomerang is. Hence there are entire levels when you never need to touch the ground - zapping around the air and using your bullet time window to take down enemies before flying across the map. Some great enemy designs that do actually require different approaches, despite the simple basics. Blisteringly fast on PC - it's on Switch too, but not sure it'd translate quite as well with lower frame rates and no mouse / keyboard. Definitely worth a go one way or the other though.

Wildermyth - this is a really pleasant surprise actually. Don't let the basic art design put you off - this is maybe the most successful game I've seen in combining traditional RPG mechanics and sprawling, player-driven, emergent storytelling. You play through campaigns in which your characters grow and age and embark on their own little adventures. There's a pre-written story, but LOTS of room for more randomised character development and side-stories. It really feels like your characters are being shaped by the way you play and the things they encounter along the way. That there's a rock-solid tactical RPG and combat system under it all doesn't hurt :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

The migration to the new platform has me thinking about our gaming forums in particular... Just wondering if there's been any discussion recently about amalgamating some of the forums? For the amount of traffic we're getting these days, it all feels a bit spread out... bloated, even.

Ah I might just be irritated by the **** navigation we've to deal with at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

The update is absolutely terrible. Navigating the site at the moment is a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

Path of exile new league next week more or less Heists 2.0 😕

They added Battle Royale. Which will be activated at the weekends except for launch of the Expedition league. Seems fairly unbalanced at the minute but good fun.

You will get used to it after a while. I've been through a few changes with boards.ie over the years and it's always the same what the hell did they do to it but as I said you get used to the changes. I was a lurker for a good long while before I signed up in 2008.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Howdy folks, I'm currently playing Red Dead Redemption on my Xbox 360. Anyway, do any of you know are there any other western games apart from RDR & RDR2?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Totally different genre, but Desperados 3 is ace. There's the Call of Juarez series too I suppose?

Call of Juarez. They are not open world games though. I played the first many years ago on the X360. This was before RDR was released and I thought it was alright but as I said it was years ago and may not hold up these days.

Gun is another game but as mentioned in last post I played it years ago and it's not an open world game either. I thought it was good for it's time too but it could be dated now.

Red Dead Revolver. Never finished it as I didn't think it was great. Worst one of the 3 I have mentioned.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,279 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

If you want to go old school there's a few.

Sunset Riders is a classic arcade action game. Good on the SNES and Arcade.

Outlaws on the PC. It was dated when it launched but it's a fun FPS with good level design and one of the first sniper rifles.

Lone Ranger is a forgotten Konami NES classic. Gun.Smoke by capcom is a lot of fun.

Live a Live on the SNES has a western scenario which is excellent.

Wild Guns for the SNES is amazing but you are better off getting the recent remake on the PS4/Switch/PC which is even better.

And Gunman's Proof on the SNES is a fantastic Western Link to the Past clone.

The current Skyward Sword renaissance is.... bewildering to me.

Loads of articles out there on nearly every gaming website saying how good a game it is. Often they attribute the poor reception of the game with the public down to the motion controls which is utter ballocks. The motion controls were excellent and worked really well in the game and the only issues I saw was from people who got dodgy motion plus controllers.

They all ignore the actual game design and pacing flaws that mar the experince.

Either they are purposefully ignorant or looking for clickbait. At least metro gamecentral left the defense of the game to a readers letter while holding firm on it being a very underwhelming game in the series.

Skyward Sword didn’t look very interesting in 2011 and it looks even less interesting now.

It was the culmination of how the series had gotten stale by barely deviating from the same formula since ocarina (with the exception of the fantastic Majora).

Since Skyward Sword we have had Link Between Worlds and Breath of the Wild, two incredible games that shook up the Zelda formula and next to them Skyward Sword feels even more stale.

• Advertisement
Advertisement