Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,443 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

There's a major divergence from the usual philosophy of open world games that makes BotW so appealing IMO. Most games - especially those from the Ubisoft mould - say 'Ok, here's a giant map full of stuff to do, go do it'. Zelda, though, says 'Ok, here's a giant map full of stuff to do, go *find* it'. Sounds minor when you alter just the one word, but completely alters the flow and feel of the game.

It doesn't hurt, mind, that the game's systems are so vast, adaptable and surprising (the robust climbing system alone completely mixes up the rules) and the stuff to find is so rich and rewarding (not without its limits, mind: the repetitions will inevitably emerge the more you play. There's only so many 'tests of strength' one needs). But few games I've played have had such a sense of adventure - spotting something curious on the horizon, and taking the time to go see what it is. Not to mention the many times the game delivered magnificently mysterious and unexpected discoveries. It really was absorbing in a way no other modern open world game has been for me.

As an aside, playing Uncharted The Lost Legacy at the moment. While the series' flaws are as, if not more, apparent than ever, credit where credit is due: the game's fourth chapter is pretty glorious. The mix of semi-open, semi-linear design is smart and engaging, and makes it feel like a big, epic puzzle box you're solving at your own pace. A step forward again from the more open levels of A Thief's End, and a neat effort to translate a heavily scripted style of gameplay to a grander canvas. It ain't Zelda, but feels like a cool evolution of a tired formula in its own way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Internet Friend

EoinHef wrote: »
    The Unofficial Fixes mod for the base game and DLC are usually a good idea too. Not sure if they have been ported to the remaster though.

It has been alright and is kept up to date as well. SKSE64 is in Alpha at the moment as well but is pretty stable. Been doing a relatively heavily modded (~80 mods + ENB) play through the last few weeks and seems pretty stable. The odd, rare crash here and there but in my experience with modded skyrim that's to be expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Not sure if off topic but little help. i have a PS2 slim and bought new 65 inch LG tv and getting sound no picture, On the back of the TV you have the usual ports but the coloured ports seem have changed as it worked fine on my older LG TV which was 55 inch but the ports are different.. Now I also bought the little box to convert vga to hdmi and that doesnt even register on the tv??
    There is no scart on the tv and the cable is obviously the one with PS2 with the yellow white and red ends. thanks in advance.

https://imgur.com/a/wJm8J

• Registered Users Posts: 6,787 ✭✭✭Evade

jimmynokia wrote: »
    Not sure if off topic but little help. i have a PS2 slim and bought new 65 inch LG tv and getting sound no picture, On the back of the TV you have the usual ports but the coloured ports seem have changed as it worked fine on my older LG TV which was 55 inch but the ports are different.. Now I also bought the little box to convert vga to hdmi and that doesnt even register on the tv??
    There is no scart on the tv and the cable is obviously the one with PS2 with the yellow white and red ends. thanks in advance.

https://imgur.com/a/wJm8J
    The cable with red, white, and yellow leads is a composite cable. You'll need a component cable to plug into that TV. You should be able to get one on Amazon or eBay.

Evade wrote: »
    The cable with red, white, and yellow leads is a composite cable. You'll need a component cable to plug into that TV. You should be able to get one on Amazon or eBay.

One like this ? https://www.amazon.co.uk/Component-Cable-Sony-Playstation-PS2/dp/B0050HNJW4/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1512588557&sr=8-4&keywords=component+cable

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,787 ✭✭✭Evade

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

There's a major divergence from the usual philosophy of open world games that makes BotW so appealing IMO. Most games - especially those from the Ubisoft mould - say 'Ok, here's a giant map full of stuff to do, go do it'. Zelda, though, says 'Ok, here's a giant map full of stuff to do, go *find* it'. Sounds minor when you alter just the one word, but completely alters the flow and feel of the game.

It doesn't hurt, mind, that the game's systems are so vast, adaptable and surprising (the robust climbing system alone completely mixes up the rules) and the stuff to find is so rich and rewarding (not without its limits, mind: the repetitions will inevitably emerge the more you play. There's only so many 'tests of strength' one needs). But few games I've played have had such a sense of adventure - spotting something curious on the horizon, and taking the time to go see what it is. Not to mention the many times the game delivered magnificently mysterious and unexpected discoveries. It really was absorbing in a way no other modern open world game has been for me.

As an aside, playing Uncharted The Lost Legacy at the moment. While the series' flaws are as, if not more, apparent than ever, credit where credit is due: the game's fourth chapter is pretty glorious. The mix of semi-open, semi-linear design is smart and engaging, and makes it feel like a big, epic puzzle box you're solving at your own pace. A step forward again from the more open levels of A Thief's End, and a neat effort to translate a heavily scripted style of gameplay to a grander canvas. It ain't Zelda, but feels like a cool evolution of a tired formula in its own way.
    Game Maker's Toolkit did some nice vids on this subject:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭wheresmahbombs

Most games - especially those from the Ubisoft mould - say 'Ok, here's a giant map full of stuff to do, go do it'. Zelda, though, says 'Ok, here's a giant map full of stuff to do, go *find* it'. Sounds minor when you alter just the one word, but completely alters the flow and feel of the game.

More open-world games need to take on Zelda's philosophy.

K.O.Kiki wrote:
    As a bonus, Component will look much better.

Anything on Amazon you'd suggest?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,686 ✭✭✭✭Penn

• Registered Users Posts: 29,084 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

So with all these GotY awards going on I was wondering what qualifies a game. I know there's the debate about PUBG but a game I was wondering about was Uncharted Lost Legacy. It started life as DLC but then became a standalone game in its own right with a decent playtime. I also hear people saying it's better than Uncharted 4, yet I don't think I've seen it in any lists. Maybe I haven't seen the right lists.

Also I think I was listening to an IGN podcast where they said the staff don't get a vote if they haven't played all the games on the list of nominees. I think that makes sense. Like I've only played a few games this year, including Mario and Zelda. I haven't played Horizon so should I be able to say Zelda's the best game even though Horizon could be the better game? I know these votes happen all the time, whether it's people voting for Horizon because they're Sony fanboys or voting for Zelda because they believe Nintendo can do now wrong. Or just like me, they're voting for 1 of the 2 games they've played out of a list.

Anyway, sorry. Was just random thoughts in my head

(I know Zelda's the better game. :p)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

A lot of it's subjective. There's plenty GOTY I didn't or know I wouldn't like, that's not to say they are bad games and there's plenty of games I've loved that lots would consider garbage.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,387 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Lost Legacy is good, far better than U4 (which was boring imo) but there's just been a wealth of great games this year an it can't compete.

And yes, Zelda is better than horizon :D :pac:

I think it's fair to include pubg. It's far more polished than a lot of release games and it's been this year's biggest game. The issue is next year it's going to be a different and more substantial game. It's an issue with the games as a service business model.

Another example is warframe which when it launched a few years ago god middling reviews. It has since mutated into completely different game and a few months ago launch an update to make it more like destiny.... except not ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    And yes, Zelda is better than horizon :D :pac:

giphy.gif

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,387 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The truth hurts. Ask the game awards.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

The truth hurts. Ask the game awards.

How'd you play HZD if you've not used your PS4 in 6 months?

I'm equally bored playing BOTW as I was playing HZD. Hope I get out of this slump before Red Dead Redemption arrives.

Last I checked march was more than 6 months away. I actually didn't play it on my own PS4 anyway.

• Nintendo dominating this years awards and rightly so
    Sony giving them some good competition
    Microsoft are so far behind

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

So, it will be one of those can of worms posts and I am long enough here to know it can explode very badly.

I really want to upgrade to ps4 pro or xbox one. Then get 4k hdr tv. Problem is I dont know which one to get, eventually I will have both, but with price tag of 400-500eu and hdr tv on top of it, so I can go with one for now. I got switch last month too.

I played very little on consoles this year. Xbox one wasnt even turned on once. So I traded it in and got my ratty xbox one s for xmas. I do play a good bit ps4 lately, when I dont play on switch.
    My Ps4 in general has more games too.

Exclusive wise ps4 wins completely and unchallenged, specially when I can play forza on pc, but xbox one does has that bit more of power and some headroom for the future. Xbox pass and ea acess sounds handy for someone like me. Another win for xbox is that I got my ratty xbox now so I could share my account and play with her together too.
    Things is I noticed that ps4 does better sales. I think they even doing better deals then steam now. While setting up that new xbox today, I got a taste of new Ui and I dont know how, but MS managed to make it even worse. It felt very sluggish too.

I really cant decide. :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

If you have a good PC, I don't know why you'd bother with an Xbox. Any games on it that you can't get on PS4, you'll get on your PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,017 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Is PUBG out of beta? If so, it can be a contender, but I wouldn't include any alpha or beta games!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Doctor Nick

If you have a good PC, I don't know why you'd bother with an Xbox. Any games on it that you can't get on PS4, you'll get on your PC.

How much would a decent gaming PC set one back? I've always been a console gamer. In my ignorance I used to think PC gaming was inferior until I researched it a bit. Not sure how I'd handle using a keyboard and mouse over a controller.

PS4 wins. If you have a PC there's no point in getting a Xbox. What few exclusives there are or will be on Xbox are on or coming to pc bar one or two. The Xbox One just doesn't make sense as a system.

.... honestly if you have a PC the PS4 doesn't make much sense but I feel that system will finally be worthwhile in 2018. I'm expecting a good PSX event.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,379 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

The truth hurts.

Well if that's the case..........Legend of Dragoon is a fantastic game then :D :pac:

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,269 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

So, it will be one of those can of worms posts and I am long enough here to know it can explode very badly.

I really want to upgrade to ps4 pro or xbox one. Then get 4k hdr tv. Problem is I dont know which one to get, eventually I will have both, but with price tag of 400-500eu and hdr tv on top of it, so I can go with one for now. I got switch last month too.

I played very little on consoles this year. Xbox one wasnt even turned on once. So I traded it in and got my ratty xbox one s for xmas. I do play a good bit ps4 lately, when I dont play on switch.

Exclusive wise ps4 wins completely and unchallenged, specially when I can play forza on pc, but xbox one does has that bit more of power and some headroom for the future. Xbox pass and ea acess sounds handy for someone like me. Another win for xbox is that I got my ratty xbox now so I could share my account and play with her together too.
    Things is I noticed that ps4 does better sales. I think they even doing better deals then steam now. While setting up that new xbox today, I got a taste of new Ui and I dont know how, but MS managed to make it even worse. It felt very sluggish too.

Some games will run better on the X is all it has going for it really, unless you're not arsed with any of the exclusives then get the Pro.

If you're going to be getting both eventually anyway, I'd go with the Pro first. It costs less which means you can spend the extra on games (which like you say, there's always some great PS sales on the go) and 2018 is looking to be a big year for PS exclusives with God of War and Spider-Man especially, which will both look fantastic on the Pro. It may not be the powerhouse the OneX is, but on a 4K HDR telly the games will still look incredible.

Then grab the One X in the future, and maybe some of the downsides you see for it at the moment will be resolved by then, and they'll hopefully have some great exclusives you won't have played on the Pro.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,084 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

How much would a decent gaming PC set one back? I've always been a console gamer. In my ignorance I used to think PC gaming was inferior until I researched it a bit. Not sure how I'd handle using a keyboard and mouse over a controller.

You can use a controller on PC. I use a 360 controller. So you have more options. Controller or KB+M

You can use a controller on PC too, but then the issue is when it comes to multiplayer (particularly shooters), you're pretty much leaving yourself at a disadvantage compared to kb/m players.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

I use a controller, also use the PC very, very similar to a console (on the couch and TV with a Kodi setup that makes it easier to navigate), I'd recommend this case if you want something small to put beside the Sky Box, DVD player, etc - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ptbpKpObzs

Anyway you'll get a better rundown on the PC Building forum but here's a quick link to a good, lower budget PC - on a considerably weaker CPU with the same graphics card I had some really demanding bits like Witcher 3, GTA V and Shadow of Mordor playing around 50fps on high (consoles typically work out more around low/medium settings if I recall, and are often capped at 30fps). There's an awful lot of tweaking around that can be done depending on what you're looking for, but just to give you a starting point (only built my first one last year, I know how much of a maze it can seem but it's pretty easy once you wrap your head around it) - https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/JwfzzM .

If you go down that route and don't want a keyboard cluttering up the coffee table etc, this is a good one that's tiny (shorter than a ruler) and fully functional... pop in a wireless mouse for a tenner and you're sorted for if/when you ever need to use them (95% of games work perfect on gamepad, but some like Total War or Civilization either don't, or would be a living hell to play on one) - https://www.amazon.co.uk/JETech-Ultra-Slim-Wireless-Keyboard-Windows-Black/dp/B0173QNVT0/ref=sr_1_16?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1512751296&sr=1-16&keywords=wireless+keyboard

Advertisement