Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Thanks for the heads up. Just what I was looking for. 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 23,161 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I can't stand that Marvel say-a-zinger-every-30-seconds dialogue so I'd hate that.

The Spiderman game was fine as Spiderman wasn't obnoxious but I bet the Wish version of Chris Pratt in that game is yap yap yap.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,322 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

If I'm getting my MCU history right, all that patter and snark that's threaded into marvel stuff now was because much of the Iron Man script was ad hoc, where the actors work-shopped the zingers on the fly. The rest as they say was history. "Do that, all the time!"

Currently loving Mass Effect 3. It is so much better than the previous two. I have no idea how far I am into it but I'm at least a bit passed half way I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Doge

Just got a notification that project wingman is 50% off on Steam at the moment, down to €12 quid!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

I think it was one guy developing it for a while. Not sure how many people were involved towards the end but it's a stunning feat!

It's actually on gamepass, waiting on it to install at the minute.

Looks like an AC7 beater 😀

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,278 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Not sure it's an AC7 beater but if it isn't it's pretty close.

Being serious and my AC7 joke aside, I'm not usually one for this kind of game but the time I spent playing this tonight was a lot of fun, and I'll go back to it tomorrow evening. Lots to like about it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,278 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

You'll like AC7 then as well. Project Wingman really nails the AC gameplay. Been putting off playing it until the weather was cool enough to play through in vr but what I did play was really impressive.

I found with the rift cv1 that if the room was cold the lenses would fog up even more! Used leave mine on a radiator to warm it up a bit before playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,940 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Any recent helicopter combat games ? Jets are ok. But you spend a lot of time zooming past things ...

I remember this game back in the day and it was very entertaining. LHX Attack Chopper.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,031 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Now thinking I'm surprised there hasn't been a Desert Strike remake or update. Though think there were some rights issues with it?

Side note: I think the ones wh make the updates to boards must be Nintendo fans. On the desktop site, going through the menus at the top, can only get access to the Nintendo forum. No sign of Playstation, PC or XBox. Side menu works though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

Probably not what you are looking for but DCS has an Apache on the way.

Nate

I've no experience with VR headsets so this could be a completely wrong thing to try but you can get anti fog spray from the likes of Muc Off. It's meant for motor bike visors and goggles in the most part but I use it on my cycling glasses and herself uses it on her normal glasses at work to stop them fogging when she's got her mask on and it does the job nicely.

Rolled the credits on Mass Effect 3 just now. I wasn't expecting that ending.

I have to say 3 was far better than the previous two. More cinematic too.

They really upped the difficulty from the fight of that ninja guy(can't remember his name) I had it on normal and found that fight to be very frustrating.

Xbox bargain alerts: AAA game released a year ago, at 1/3 original price or free upgrade

... silence

Nintendo bargain alerts. AAA game released in 1991, emulator version, 60 euro

.... this is the most amazing thing ever.

😊

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

THQ Nordic are finally doing something with NovaLogic assets they acquired a few years ago, first up is a new Comanche game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YP_7qvGSS8

Reviews on Steam are mixed, however.

I'd rather pay for sin and punishment than play Alan wake for free.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

I dont think there is a rights issue, just that the rights sit with EA who are essentially too lazy to do anything with the title. The Strike games is like a lot of EA's other currently quiet franchises and titles. They could make for interesting comeback but they need someone with a fresh idea for them and EA are not going to be the ones to do that. Thats how we ended up with multiplayer first person shooter for Syndicate and a mobile phone cash grab for dungeon keeper.

The Strike series is double boned in that the obvious spin off is something akin to battlefield/call of duty with a focus on vehicles but EA already make Battlefield and they dont want to repeat the fiasco with Medal of Honour where both it and battlefield basically became indistinguishable from each other.

Was thinking the helicopter bits in GTA5 could be fleshed out fully into into some modern Choplifter/Desert Strike game.

Also don't realise Choplifter was a home computer game before it became a Sega arcade game.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,322 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I'd rather any given series stay dead then see the kind of necromancy performed by EA for the likes of Syndicate. And of course, you just know the wrong lesson was learned from that release; executives deciding cos the game didn't sell, nobody wanted the game back - as opposed to what people really wanted - a "proper" new iteration within the same genre.

Post edited by pixelburp on

Strike games would be a weird one to bring back. I went through the 16-bit series last year and Desert and Jungle really hold up well. However it is a tank control game and I don't see a lot of younger people giving a new version of the game more than 5 minutes and dismissing it to move on to something else. You really have to get used to the controls. And you are probably saying why not modernise the controls? Well the game kind of relies on the tank controls to make it the game that it is. If you remove the tank controls then it won't be a strike game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

There needs to be a gaming version of the Trivial Annoyances thread. I do more moaning about things in the gaming community/industry than sitting playing anything lately.

Anyway. I just booted up Dirt 5 and I noticed it brings me to two policy pages before going into the game. Normally it's just a quick hit of the A button to skip past it but oooh no not with this game. On two separate instances, I had to scroll all the way to the bottom of the page before being allowed to press A.

Count to 10 and that's how long it took each time. 10 seconds is awfully quick, I know it is, but not when you're scrolling trying to get to the bottom of a page. At the 5 second mark I'm like "come on t'fück already".

There's something passive aggressive about it. Like a subtle way of trying to make someone read the entire thing "and if they don't want to read it well tough shìte, make them scroll through it".

I get that it isn't new but it doesn't make it any less irritating. It felt like I had to fill out a form before playing the thing.

Buy a NES. Turn on machine. Boots straight to the title screen. It's a delight after booting up something like the Quake remake which has you skipping through about 7 logos and disclaimers (and before a recent update, crashing if you click too quickly).

• Registered Users Posts: 29,809 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Same with PGA 2K21, loving it but click X through 5 to 6 screens to be brought to the title screen that requires you to press X to continue but then slaps you with 2 consecutive pop ups to buy something from the store where pressing X brings you to the store page. So you are hammering X to get into the game but then hammering O to edit out of the mtx shyte. But then, is 2K, wouldn't expect any less from the hungriest **** in gaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

If you on PC and hankering for some Desert Strike type games, ehhh but play the non enhanced version tho. Quite entertaining unlocking all the choppers and weapons for them.

Not that enchanced version tho, not good.

• Advertisement

Brigador is kiiiiiind of like a strike game. Probably closer to Syndicate but it might scratch the itch.

Advertisement