Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭wheresmahbombs

I have played the browser game before, but I'd like to get the full version.
    BTW, that's a Hotline Miami crossover of Superhot, but it's a nice one anyways.

VR is still expensive and in its infancy, but I'm looking forward to what games the technology will entail in the future, when it advances.

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    You should really give Mad Max a go on Xbox 1
    Sound like you would love it and it's so faithful to the movies.
    And I think it's free on Xbox games pass

Cheers Mick, I'm late to see this.

Never even knew there was a Mad Max game. Tbh, I haven't seen Fury Road yet but it's coming to Netflix for Christmas so I'll definitely be watching it soon. Loved the original movies.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

. Tbh, I haven't seen Fury Road yet but it's coming to Netflix for Christmas so I'll definitely be watching it soon. Loved the original movies.

You're in for a treat. Hope you have a big TV with good sound cause it's amazing !
    They also release a 'chrome' edition...where it's black/white/chrome.

Both are amazing.

SeantheMan wrote: »
    You're in for a treat. Hope you have a big TV with good sound cause it's amazing !
    They also release a 'chrome' edition...where it's black/white/chrome.

Both are amazing.

Thanks Sean. I've had a look at the reviews and so far there's nothing putting me off buying the game. They mention that the car/tank is a big feature of the game, but since that didn't put me off 'Arkham Knight' hopefully it won't put me off this.

In 1980s terms, I have a huge television! In a 2010s context - it's tiny and almost shameful. Just a bog standard 40" Panasonic HD plasma.

VXDbiPv.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,017 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Thanks Sean. I've had a look at the reviews and so far there's nothing putting me off buying the game. They mention that the car/tank is a big feature of the game, but since that didn't put me off 'Arkham Knight' hopefully it won't put me off this.

The car is pretty good in this once you upgrade a few bits, and necessary due to the size of the map! Amazing game though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Cheers Mick, I'm late to see this.

Never even knew there was a Mad Max game. Tbh, I haven't seen Fury Road yet but it's coming to Netflix for Christmas so I'll definitely be watching it soon. Loved the original movies.

Get the biggest TV you have, full volume (even if it means headphones if there are kids in the house etc) and turn all the lights out. That movie is unbelievable, maybe the most fun I've ever had watching something in the cinema, but it's definitely about audio and visuals over story.

EDIT: Just saw about the 40", not too bad but get close to it - or borrow a bigger TV off a friend for the night or if they pop off on holidays for a few days :p . I remember I hated that movie Drive when I first watched it on a laptop, but randomly saw it in a free cinema 2-3 months later and it was basically a completely different movie.

In a 2010s context - it's tiny and almost shameful. Just a bog standard 40" Panasonic HD plasma.

Same situation here, but even worse for me, in your terms. In my sitting room, I've a 32" LG, and I find it a bit detracting while playing the PS4 or watching a film.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

Same here, I have an old 32" LCD moved from my old bedroom to my new living room and it seems small and it's further away than before as well.
    I've picked the 43" LED set I want, just hoping it will get reduced.

I've a 21.5" 1080p monitor hooked up in my bedroom to my Wii U.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Jamiekelly

So I just got done playing a game called Doki Doki Literature Club and all I've got to say is I've never played a game like it, ever. Was expecting to hate it (but it was free and highly regarded so I stuck with it) and I was completely blown away. A kind of Anime dating sim,
    creepy horror
    and existensial mind melter all rolled into one. The fact that it was essentially made by just one person is amazing considering the amount of depth to it. :eek:

I hate anime and text based games so for it to draw me in, in the way it did was a real testament to the game creator himself. I'd highly recommend it to anyone here who likes narrative based games and it's free as well so it's not like it's a waste of money. It was certainly an experience I won't be forgetting any time soon. Just don't read anything about the story before you play or you'll spoil it for yourself. Would rank it as a GOTY contender even though it's so minimal and straight forward. :)

Spoiler added because it might affect expectations, don't uncover if you want to go in blind to it (which is recommended for the best experience ;))

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Yeah I mentioned it in gaming news thread. It's a real treat and Salvato is an inspiration, honestly. It drew in both people who are visual novel veterans and complete noobs alike. I voted it for one of the steam awards (but that doesn't really matter as steam awards suck).

VR is still expensive and in its infancy, but I'm looking forward to what games the technology will entail in the future, when it advances.

It's ridiculously expensive -- it's something like €3,000+, when you factor in the gaming rig that you need to get optimal use out of it.

I do believe that the likes of Sony producing PlayStation VR is a step in the right direction - charging €400+ for the full VR bundle with an additional €300-€500 for the console (cannot remember the price of the Pro), but realistically if you're getting the PSVR, then you already own the console.

I haven't played any VR, but I understand that the PSVR pales in comparison to the more expensive iterations. But it's a step in the right direction with cost v quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Jamiekelly wrote: »
    So I just got done playing a game called Doki Doki Literature Club and all I've got to say is I've never played a game like it, ever. Was expecting to hate it (but it was free and highly regarded so I stuck with it) and I was completely blown away. A kind of Anime dating sim,
    creepy horror
    and existensial mind melter all rolled into one. The fact that it was essentially made by just one person is amazing considering the amount of depth to it. :eek:

I hate anime and text based games so for it to draw me in, in the way it did was a real testament to the game creator himself. I'd highly recommend it to anyone here who likes narrative based games and it's free as well so it's not like it's a waste of money. It was certainly an experience I won't be forgetting any time soon. Just don't read anything about the story before you play or you'll spoil it for yourself. Would rank it as a GOTY contender even though it's so minimal and straight forward. :)

Spoiler added because it might affect expectations, don't uncover if you want to go in blind to it (which is recommended for the best experience ;))
    J U S T M O N I K A

• Registered Users Posts: 23,174 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Been playing A Hat In Time over Christmas. Such a cute, fun game.

Real throwback platformer. Some great voice-work and characters too.

It's ridiculously expensive -- it's something like €3,000+, when you factor in the gaming rig that you need to get optimal use out of it.

I do believe that the likes of Sony producing PlayStation VR is a step in the right direction - charging €400+ for the full VR bundle with an additional €300-€500 for the console (cannot remember the price of the Pro), but realistically if you're getting the PSVR, then you already own the console.

I haven't played any VR, but I understand that the PSVR pales in comparison to the more expensive iterations. But it's a step in the right direction with cost v quality.

I don't think I'll get it anytime soon.

The PS4 Pro is normally €400 for 1TB, I think. It's €350 in places like GameStop and Argos, probably because of sales.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

J. Marston wrote: »
    Been playing A Hat In Time over Christmas. Such a cute, fun game.

Real throwback platformer. Some great voice-work and characters too.

That's on my Watch list on steam but I decided to play more games on my Xbox and it's not discounted on there . It will more than likely in the next sale when ever that is and I will pick it up then.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭earthwormjack

It's nowhere near that much to get into PC VR.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,175 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Sorry, but that's not true at all. I've a €700 (or thereabouts) pc and the rift was €499 when i bought it, so around €1300. And that played any of the games i tested really well. Might not have been at absolute max settings, but not far off it for what i tried (Elite, Robo Recall etc...)

It's still pricey, but nowhere near €3000+.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Just played the Redout demo. WOW! Buying it now! Feels very much like Wipeout, and I liked that you need to use the arrow keys as well as WASD to control the craft.

Getting the Miami hotline games, as they're insane, and they're going cheap. The Bridge Constructor Portal looks like it'll be fun, with Refunct as I can see it being a nice time waste when I'm bored, but not want to engross myself into a game.

=-=

What is peoples opinion of the game Squad? The possible team-play aspect of it is one of the main factors, but so are the weapons. Although PUGB is fun, I'd generally have more fun in the ARMA3 Wastelands mod, fcuking peoples game up, although the ARMA3 game itself is often waaay too militarysim than I'd like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

There's no gets thread for the PlayStation topic (or I missed it) so sharing here.
    Anyone else played it? Had asked already on the JRPG thread
    26170777_2032691596949476_2489575090266943393_o.jpg?efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&oh=2ce5e4c690d8fb3cbd0640deeabf3db9&oe=5AF71043

Kiith wrote: »
    Sorry, but that's not true at all. I've a €700 (or thereabouts) pc and the rift was €499 when i bought it, so around €1300. And that played any of the games i tested really well. Might not have been at absolute max settings, but not far off it for what i tried (Elite, Robo Recall etc...)

It's still pricey, but nowhere near €3000+.

"Optimal", as in the next possible performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

"Optimal", as in the next possible performance.

Why don't you stick up a survey and see how many people running vr have €2.5+k PCs?

You get a much better experience than psvr for 400 to 500 more, and you have a PC for other uses. Don't know why you stopped at 3k, sure once you add in nvme PCI express ssd drives, Intel optane and bespoke water cooling you will be pushing 5k for an "optimal" rig

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Not going to dip the toe in for a good while until the libraries build up and prices of hardware go down so I have not looked at it too much, but I remember reading that an i5 7500 and 1060 (even 3gb) or RX 480/580 would do about max settings on it for more or less any game. No idea if that's true or not but it stuck in my mind since it's almost identical to what I have (i5 6600K, 970 4gb) on the off chance/fantasy I ever saw a HTC Vive going to €300.

You could build a PC like that for €650 and if you were happy to go with an Oculus Rift rather than HTC (£350 so €400ish on Amazon, with hand controls) you could get the whole thing done for under €1,100. With HTC Vive + hand controls you could do it for probably just shy of €1,400.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

the_syco wrote: »
    Just played the Redout demo. WOW! Buying it now! Feels very much like Wipeout, and I liked that you need to use the arrow keys as well as WASD to control the craft.

I've seen Redout for the PS4 for sale but I'm holding on for the Switch edition, unless I can find the PS4 version cheaply, in which case I'll just double-dip on both consoles.

edit: Just found it for less that €20 shipped from Amazon, probably get it there, the Switch version isn't out until well into next year apparently :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

#50. Golf Story
    #49. Gorogoa
    #48. Stories Untold
    #47. Persona 5
    #46. XCOM 2: War of the Chosen
    #45. Yakuza 0
    #44. Polybius
    #43. PES 2018
    #42. Star Trek Bridge Crew
    #41. Pyre
    #40. Sniper Elite 4
    #39. Lawbreakers
    #38. Call of Duty: WW2
    #37. Everything
    #36. NieR Automata
    #35. Nioh
    #34. Observer
    #33. Last Day of June
    #32. Fortnite
    #31. Horizon: Zero Dawn
    #30: FIFA 18
    #29: Sundered
    #28: Little Nightmares
    #27: Sonic Mania
    #26: Mass Effect: Andromeda
    #25: For Honor
    #24: Puyo Puyo Tetris
    #23: Assassin's Creed Origins
    #22: Tacoma
    #21: Gran Turismo Sport
    #20: Wolfenstein 2
    #19: Rime
    #18: Uncharted: The Lost Legacy
    #17: Splatoon 2
    #16: Life is Strange: Before the Storm
    #15: Torment: Tides of Numenera
    #14: Resident Evil 7
    #13: Night in the Woods
    #12: Prey
    #11: Divinity: Original Sin 2
    #10. Total War: Warhammer 2
    #09. Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice
    #08. Nex Machina
    #07. Destiny 2
    #06. ARMS
    #05. Mario+Rabbids: Kingdom Battle
    #04. PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds
    #03. Super Mario Odyssey
    #02. What Remains of Edith Finch
    #01. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Came across this list elsewhere.
    Eurogamer's top 50 of 2017. Some of it is kinda hilarious in ways. Broken disasters ME Andromeda & For Honor well ahead of Persona 5 will remain in my mind for a long time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭moonlighting_1

only a small handful of games from that list are worth playing
    or naybe i am getting to old for gaming lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

All their writers seemed to hate Arms bar 1 who absolutely loved it, yet it finished in 6th.

Bizarre list in many ways, even when you read the comments the writers give to back up many games placing. Clickbait and trolling in many places. Eurogamer seems to get more ridiculous with each passing month. I prefer to get my reviews from Boards threads!

I prefer to get my reviews from Boards threads!

You're much better off looking here for reviews. Many critics just kinda suck, like IGN for example.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,387 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I feel vindicated for always saying this game is a steaming turd.

Advertisement