Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,174 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

It's infinitely better than V.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Is V seriously worse than that pile of pox ridden bollix?

• Video is trash

• Registered Users Posts: 29,839 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

5 is waaaay better than 4. I fell asleep during a cutscene in 4, woke up to a 'press start to continue' screen. Pressed it and a new cutscene started. It's like they knew people would fall asleep or go do something else during the cutscenes. At least with 5, it was mostly stealthing the **** out of people instead of watching a bat**** crazy movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 CroftAlice

Well,i'm a tomb raider fan i often play the reboots on my x one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

The first two acts of MGSIV were brilliant; the Middle East and South America. This is where there was proper Metal Gear gameplay, be it stealth or trigger-happy gunplay. Usually Metal Gear stories are a bit crazy, but the story goes off the rails after act 2.

I thought 5 was a great game too. To me the game ends once you defeat Sahelanthropus. The story falls apart after that and it seems to be down to the incomplete nature of the game. I’d say developers went through video game hell while making it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,387 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The worst that can be said for mgs5 is that it was disappointing the story was cut short because the moment to moment game play was great.

Mgs4 on the other hand has a god awful story told badly that the game forces you to sit through. And then when you get to the actual game it's like a bad version of mgs3.... at best.

• Metal Gear Solid 3 controls are god awful
    And the likely-hood of you getting caught off screen and creating an alert is always likely

It's overrated and it's faults seem to get ignored

I love the story in MGS3 but the gameplay has huge flaws that it seems to escape

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,387 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

MGS3 controls are a bit complicated but think the camera works great, in subsistence. You just have to be a bit more cautious. MGS4 controls are smoother but it's just seems to add nothing to the game. To me it's like Ghouls n'Ghosts. Everyone complains it's clunky that you can't move when you jump but it's built from the ground up to be that way. MGS3 handles stealth better and the boss battles still have that classic Japanese design feel to them. MGS4 due to the more traditional TP controls seems to favour gunplay over stealth and it feels wrong. Also it's a crime that the sequel has less stealth options to play around with than MGS3.

I could argue controls but I'm not going to change your mind. However no matter how much smoother moving around in MGS4 is, the biggest difference for me is that I had heaps of fun with MGS3, whereas MGS4 bored the arse off me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Is V seriously worse than that pile of pox ridden bollix?

MGSV was bloody excellent... it's hugely let down by what happens after mission 29 and the complete mess that was around that, but up to that point I thought it was wonderful. Had it been seen through properly I reckon it would have been a case of 'should easily be GOTY... if not for Witcher 3' for it back in 2015.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,686 ✭✭✭✭Penn

MGS3: The camera in the base game definitely didn't help, but did force a lot more stealth and care and using first person mode. Subsistence camera (free camera) greatly improved things.

MGS4: Definitely flawed and most of it is the result of fan service rather than having a new story to tell, and the fan service dictates a lot of the gameplay in the second half of the game to the games detriment. That being said, I enjoyed the hell out of the game, and played through it multiple times. I enjoyed a lot of the fan service, and when the game hits the right point, it does it tremendously well. It just goes overboard the rest of the time. But there is still a lot of fun to be had in the game.

MGSV: The gameplay is better than ever. However, its biggest flaw is in recycling locations and mission types to pad out the game and plug the gaps left by unfinished content. The game is unfinished and it shows. But, at its core is a great game that you could sink a lot of enjoyable hours into.

None of the MGS games are perfect (though MGS3 is less not-perfect than the others), but even at its worst, the games have fantastic core gameplay and design and can offer a very enjoyable experience overall, even despite the flaws in the games.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,443 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

MGSV might be a filler-packed, grindfest of a game in so many respects, but it’s also one of the view open world games that feels like a good evolution for the series. And while the second act is clearly unfinished, there’s one inspired stretch & mission that so audaciously ****s with so much of the player’s hard work that I couldn’t help but respect it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,174 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I think that guy has spent too much time on TV Tropes personally.

I'd take IV's cutscene-bloated, bollocks plot and fan-service over V's repetitive "here, do these missions again" bullshít and Kiefer "I only say about 3 lines in the game, pay me" Sutherland and that bloody Quiet in the rain scene automatically makes it the worst MGS game.

J. Marston wrote: »

I'd take IV's cutscene-bloated, bollocks plot and fan-service over V's repetitive "here, do these missions again" bullshít and Kiefer "I only say about 3 lines in the game, pay me" Sutherland and that bloody Quiet in the rain scene automatically makes it the worst MGS game.

Hey hey hey hey hey hey hey heeeyyy hey hey

Leave Quiet out of this.

hhmmmm mmmhhmmm hhmmm hmmmmmh

J. Marston wrote: »

You clearly didn't understand the point of the Quiet scene. Quiet had to wear no clothes because she breathes through her skin! IMPORTANT PLOT POINT THAT SHOULD MAKE YOU FEEL ASHAMED FOR QUESTIONING IT!

That being said, I loved Sutherland. I thought he was far better than Hayter and Hayters type of performance wouldn't have suited the game at all. It was Miller's repetition of the same five lines throughout the whole game that annoyed me far more.

Yes, Miller. He is coming too! I'm fultoning e'erything up in this mother! How do you not get this?!

Penn wrote: »
    MGSV: The gameplay is better than ever. However, its biggest flaw is in recycling locations and mission types to pad out the game and plug the gaps left by unfinished content. The game is unfinished and it shows. But, at its core is a great game that you could sink a lot of enjoyable hours into.
    One other issue I had, specifically in Afghanistan, as someone who loves open world settings was that the 'open world' was a bit misleading as the mountains and cliffs basically stopped you from doing anything for large parts other than taking a pre-ordained route through the roads.

That game as much as I enjoyed it (and The Man Who Sold The World intro is also incredible) really does irk me in that if they had given it time and seen it through properly it could have been one of the top 3-5 games of the decade so far in my opinion.

Ah yes, and the whole Quiet thing was ****ing cringe. Though I guess it did give us this...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,443 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

I have been playing V on and off for the last 2 months and tbh I don't know if I want to go back to it as it is just getting so repetitive
    is there a direct path I can do to just get to the meat?

Have to say, Metal Gear SurviVe actually looks fun. Sure it will probably be riddled with loot boxes but base building, zombie hunting and MG V mechanics seems like a good mix. Shame on Konami for needlessly attaching the MG name but this could be interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Looking at that video I couldn't help but think it's going to be laced with microtransactions. Some of the weapons look cool, specially using the slippy floor near the cliff.
    Enemy design is awful though, they just look bad.
    It's a pity they haven't done more with that engine bar MGS V & PES as it seems very capable

• It looks so rehashed. Nearly like a mod for MGS V.
    It's so going to flop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭wong

Not touching that new Metal Gear Solid. Konami can p**s off if they think they are getting any more of my money.

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    It looks so rehashed. Nearly like a mod for MGS V.
    It's so going to flop.

Which would be nice a) for the shamelessness of it all, and b) because I might give it a whirl 6-12 months after release if it becomes one of those games that quickly drops to €5.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,379 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Billy86 wrote: »

That is hilarious and creepy at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Billy86 wrote: »
    Which would be nice a) for the shamelessness of it all, and b) because I might give it a whirl 6-12 months after release if it becomes one of those games that quickly drops to €5.

Ill wait for it to come on playstation plus or games with gold.

It looks like a bad mod for MGS5 as someone mentioned. Looks okay if theu wanted to show off alfa, but it looks like it was presented as am actual final product.

Tried playing AC:Origins the past two nights. Just can't get into it at all though. The combat feels awful, the crafting/looting is really off-putting and I know using the eagle is just going to annoy me. Plus while being able to set your camel to follow the road and bring you to your objective is great because I hate the idea of constantly travelling, it's also boring and I found myself checking my phone.

Switched instead to Uncharted Lost Legacy and had a much more enjoyable time. It looks and plays so well and immediately hooked me in.

I'll go back to AC: Origins eventually, and I'm still early enough in the game (only maybe Level 3 or 4) that I'll be able to pick it up again easily enough, but it really just did nothing for me.

I hadn't played any of them but got Black Flag when it was going for free (if I recall?) a month or so back... good god that was boring. It's supposed to be open world, right? Yet because of the stupid convoluted narrative if you take 10 steps out of a predefined path it's automatic game over/death. What's the point in that?

I think I lasted 2-3 hours and just couldn't bare to go on for another second.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

Tried playing AC:Origins the past two nights. Just can't get into it at all though. The combat feels awful, the crafting/looting is really off-putting and I know using the eagle is just going to annoy me. Plus while being able to set your camel to follow the road and bring you to your objective is great because I hate the idea of constantly travelling, it's also boring and I found myself checking my phone.

Switched instead to Uncharted Lost Legacy and had a much more enjoyable time. It looks and plays so well and immediately hooked me in.

I'll go back to AC: Origins eventually, and I'm still early enough in the game (only maybe Level 3 or 4) that I'll be able to pick it up again easily enough, but it really just did nothing for me.

It does take a bit of getting used to but I loved it, I was in the same boat with the witcher 3, just couldnt get used to it and was starting to play more on the switch and forgot about it.....picked it up again last week and I cant put it down, annoyed now because I'm back in work and don't have as much time :D

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I got Ac origins with xbox one x I bought last week. It was in wrappers up until yesterday. It still would be in wrapper if staff in cex yesterday wouldn't open it up and put disc in cd sleeve and then in to drawer.

Never had interest in series and had very bad taste in my mouth after first one. So bad that I never came back to series. Well, I lie, I tried the one based in America and after an hour or so, I gave up. Traded in Ac origins while it still has some value. 31eu I got for it is now my credit to pick something up on next sale.

For now, I got witcher 3, Bf1 amd Titanfall 2 to keep me occupied.

It does take a bit of getting used to but I loved it, I was in the same boat with the witcher 3, just couldnt get used to it and was starting to play more on the switch and forgot about it.....picked it up again last week and I cant put it down, annoyed now because I'm back in work and don't have as much time :D

The decent reviews and talk from people here is the only thing that made me get it but maybe having just completed Shadow of War has burned me out on an open world type of game for now. I think that's why Uncharted Lost Legacy drew me in so much quicker. No upgrading characters selecting skill points or choosing where to go next or anything, just straight into story and action.

• Advertisement

Advertisement