Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭wheresmahbombs

ME:A was a bit of a mess.
    Battlefront 2 was another.

EA are evil ***holes.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Mfwic_47

Hello. I bought Civ VI then got "Steam". My tech guy said Steam is slowing down my operating system and I deleted it.

Now it seems that I can't play Civ VI. What's up with that?

Thanks, Anyone.

Frank

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

Mfwic_47 wrote: »
    Hello. I bought Civ VI then got "Steam". My tech guy said Steam is slowing down my operating system and I deleted it.

Now it seems that I can't play Civ VI. What's up with that?

Thanks, Anyone.

Frank

Your Tech Guy is an idiot. Re-install Steam and enjoy Civ VI. If Tech Guy says anything, get a new Tech Guy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Absolutely agree with Falthyron, I don't know the exact numbers but would imagine Steam is every bit as demanding on your system as MS Word or Excel would be. If you computer has issues running Steam, it just flat out won't even open Civ (at least past the front screen).

Do you know what CPU processor (Intel chip), how much RAM and what graphics card you have? We'll be able to let you know straight away if it's enough to run it and/or suggestions on what to upgrade if needed. If you right click 'this PC' or 'my computer' on the desktop and go to 'properties' they should pop right up :) . Best to check since early civ games could run on anything but the last two are a lot more demanding. Civ V would only run on the smallest maps with the bland 'strategic' camera-view on, on my old laptop - switching views would freeze the computer entirely... and Civ VI is a good deal more demanding again (but can be ran on quite modest systems, depending on what their CPU/GPU/RAM are).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

That Angry Joe fella is an awful sack… couldn't be listening to that all the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

That Angry Joe fella is an awful sack… couldn't be listening to that all the time.

Whatever about the guy himself, I'll never understand that brand of negativity that is so prevalent these days. Angry reviews, most underwhelming games, biggest disappointments, most overrated etc...

I get that people are drawn to it but like, games are ****ing awesome, cheer the **** up and concentrate on some more positive coverage.

I don't really watch youtubers much but quite like Angry Joes reviews and typically find them quite fair - I also find the other Joe on it to be a very likable idiot. I've only watched a handful and they tended to be positive ones, though just to point out he also does a '10 best' to go with the '10 most disappointing' (ran through a few of each early last year to get an idea what to buy, since I'd been out of gaming for donkeys years before that).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAm3Hm--vkQ

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Mfwic_47

Falthyron, I don't want Steam but I do want the game. I must have bought it with the condition that Steam gets to rule.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,175 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Mfwic_47 wrote: »
    Falthyron, I don't want Steam but I do want the game. I must have bought it with the condition that Steam gets to rule.

You probably don't have a choice. A lot of games use Steam as it's installer/updater, and you need it to install/play the game. The Civ series since Civ4 are among those games iirc.

Steam is also an advantage anyway since it allows you have the game on multiple computers etc, saves against something like the hard drive dying, if I'm correct even saves your saves etc to the cloud for if that happens, and especially for Civ more than maybe any other game series out there, it allows you add/delete mods at the click of a button (which can be new civilizations, map types, new units, just general improvements to the gameplay/layout, or even entire overhauls to basically make it a whole different game).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Yeah you need a digital distribution platform like steam to play any game on PC these days, EA have their own called Origin, Ubisoft have their own.. Uplay i think its called, As do Blizzard. They are necessary for updates, accessing servers, accessing your game library anywhere..

If your comp can run a game and steam, you prob shouldnt be gaming on that machine, not unless you want problems and very long load times. :(

With Civ it wouldn't just be load times, it would include trying to pan the camera around even when not doing anything (and Civ works somewhat like a -gigantic- board game). It's why I think it would definitely be a good idea for them to post their processor, RAM and video card just to be on the safe side since it may surprise anyone who played Civ I-IV as even IV ran on a then-old, low spec laptop I had when it came out 10-12 years ago. I got a fair shock a few years back when I bought Civ V on a whim because of this - it would barely run on a then-decent laptop, doubt I'd even get beyond the 5th-10th turn at best on Civ VI with it, using even the low spec/strategic map. I can't see that game running at all really without at least a dedicated GPU, and makes me curious about the whole Steam slowing the OS down bit.

Requirements here - https://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri/requirements/civilization-6/13429

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

What are we discussing here Mick ?
    Here watch this 30 mins video.

Our top 10's ? Joe's (who I don't care for) top 10 ?
    Should we all post top 10 lists from random and various gaming sites and media outlets ?

Billy86 wrote: »
    I don't really watch youtubers much but quite like Angry Joes reviews and typically find them quite fair - I also find the other Joe on it to be a very likable idiot. I've only watched a handful and they tended to be positive ones, though just to point out he also does a '10 best' to go with the '10 most disappointing' (ran through a few of each early last year to get an idea what to buy, since I'd been out of gaming for donkeys years before that).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAm3Hm--vkQ

The chronically unfunny skits are just fúcking awful and the guy talks like he's got brain damage from being punched in the face one too many times.

If I want funny reviews of games, I'll watch zero punctuation.

• SeantheMan wrote: »
    What are we discussing here Mick ?
    Here watch this 30 mins video.

Our top 10's ? Joe's (who I don't care for) top 10 ?
    Should we all post top 10 lists from random and various gaming sites and media outlets ?

Is it against the rules or something? Are you a mod?
    Jaysus, pass on it if you don't want to watch it. Just thought some people would be interested in watching it considering this is the general gaming thread and I'm just sharing. Some people don't like him some do. So what.
    Post away whatever lists / videos you want, I couldn't give a fiddlers.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,387 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The chronically unfunny skits are just fúcking awful and the guy talks like he's got brain damage from being punched in the face one too many times.

If I want funny reviews of games, I'll watch zero punctuation.

If you want to see something funny fro him watch the video where an XCom Enemy Unknown dev totally shut him down and make him out to be a twat (in fairness to the lad he knew he got what he deserved from them).

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    If you want to see something funny fro him watch the video where an XCom Enemy Unknown dev totally shut him down and make him out to be a twat (in fairness to the lad he knew he got what he deserved from them).

What happened? Did he not give that game a pretty positive review? I don't see anything when I look for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I don't know who the chap is but I want to punch him after 10 seconds of video

WTF is going on with Americans these days?

Angry Joe may be a bit over the top, but his reviews are usually spot on.

Jim Sterling... he's just a fcuking tit.

Karak / ACG is probably my favourite though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,379 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Jim sterling, angry joe, total biscuit, I can't stand any of them anymore, ACG is great though.

I find most gaming related YouTubers annoying as hell. They either fit into the "ohh emm gee, look at how random I am" or "I'm smarter than you and this is why you're wrong" camp. I enjoy people that just enjoy the games they play. Achievement Hunter's Let's Plays of Sky Factory and 7 Days to Die are the perfect example of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Jim sterling, angry joe, total biscuit, I can't stand any of them anymore, ACG is great though.

One thing he needs to do is stop saying filled with sponsored bullcrap when he has an Amazon link below his reviews & is trying to sell shirts. Muddies the water there for me anyway.
    I enjoyed him but using the same structure for each review doesn't work so stopped looking at his videos.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Is it against the rules or something? Are you a mod?
    Jaysus, pass on it if you don't want to watch it. Just thought some people would be interested in watching it considering this is the general gaming thread and I'm just sharing. Some people don't like him some do. So what.
    Post away whatever lists / videos you want, I couldn't give a fiddlers.

Thread is for discussion usually. Not watch this vid and discuss.

It might be best to make a youtubers type thread? I prefer to get reviews where you can see some gameplay etc while the content is being discussed but am not arsed going through tonnes of them to find ones that suit me. It's probably why I like Angry Joe a bit, stumbled on it by chance for a review of The Witcher 3, and the guy has an extremely similar taste in games to me - he does moan a lot about things he doesn't like and has a major hangup on the likes of micro-transactions, but he's extremely passionate about games he is very fond of, like the X-Com series or TW3.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,017 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I second the above recommendation, simply because I don't want any YouTubers!

• SeantheMan wrote: »
    Thread is for discussion usually. Not watch this vid and discuss.

Until you point to the rules where it says this then you should just suck it up really

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭WarpAsylum

22hzs0.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 23,174 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

It's general gaming, the odd video or top 10 shouldn't get anyone's panties in too much of a twist.

• Advertisement

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Until you point to the rules where it says this then you should just suck it up really

Woah, woah, woah, this is a place of peace and love, people.

Unless you're one of those pc master race fellas. Those lads are scumbags…

Advertisement