Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,278 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

King of Fighters is usually really fun but if you want to get serious then there's a large skill gap, much larger than say Street Fighter. It does however make it really fun to watch at Evo. Not sure if KOF15 will be the same but probably.

SNK's fighting games I've found have been excellent lately. Samurai Shodown was excellent and it's such a shame that it got buried on PC with a Stadia and then Epic games launch. It's one of the most accessible fighting games, combos are minimal but there if you want to try them but it's more about opening up your opponent to get a big hit in and all the big supers and other mechanics have a common input across all characters meaning there's no learning loads of different moves and inputs.

I like the semi-open world approach they have taken, similar to Metro Exodus (which I thought was a great game).

I think I'm nearing the end, game has really ramped up. I wouldn't hang around too long climbing mountains and collecting logs. It gets so much better when you move on with the story.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

When is Dwarf Fortress ever getting its steam release?

2045?

Sony to buy Capcom?

I would consider it a blow if Capcom titles became PS exclusives. 😕

Perhaps it's time for me to return to the Playstation-fold after a near decade departure.

Would Sony not be better off just buying some IPs from Konami? Since Konami seems to be pivoting towards mobile games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,603 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Yeah I'd think that could be a great way forward. Sony buy the exclusive licences to their biggest game franchises, while leaving Konami free to then use that for new pachinko machines.

Has anybody played Bloodstained: ROTN? It looks interesting, though unsure if it's worth €40.

Would it be unfair to deem Alex Kidd DX to be one of the worst games in recent history? I love the art style and music, yet the gameplay can certainly be a nightmare at times. Still, I am determined to give it a chance one way or the other.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,322 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I found it very underwhelming, and wouldn't say it'd be worth 40 quid anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Greyfox

I played it and absolutely loved every minute of it, brilliant game. €40 is a lot to pay for it though, I got it when it was on sale.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,278 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Never got the love for Alex kidd. Always felt like a cut rate Mario for kids with a master system. I think it's nostalgia more than it actually being any good that it's held in high regard.

T be fair it's a actually a very good remaster. It's just a remaster of a bad game.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,161 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I swear most remasters look shít these days...

• Registered Users Posts: 29,809 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

As someone who absolutely loves Life is Strange, this remaster was a real head scratcher. It's weird how worse they made it look. And the fact there's no upgrade option. I already own both games and see zero point in paying 40 for games that actually look worse.

Saying that, if people haven't played Life is Strange, i highly recommend picking up the original. Just had a quick look on the psn store and i can't actually find the old one or episodes for sale. Hopefully the original wasn't replaced, that's a real **** thing to happen when remasters get released.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,322 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Remasters of 7 year old games hardly feels like the transformative leap I'd normally associate with rejigs. There's not that much difference IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,552 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Alex Kidd was probably the first ever game I played (my neighbours has a Master System), so I was rubbish at it. Got my hands on an emulated version about 15 years later and couldn't spend more than 5 minutes playing it; found it rubbish tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I actually own that game for years. Played about 5 mins of it years ago and thought it was very text heavy. Is it an actually game or one of those simulators?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,809 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I suppose it would be classed as a 'walking simulator' but highly recommended for Antoine info that kind of game like Gone Home, Firewatch, What remains of Edith Finch, etc. Great emotional story and characters topped off with a brilliant soundtrack.

Forget elden ring lads, 2022s game of the year is already here on switch

Thor high heels actually makes it sound like a blast to play.

Actually speaking of Thor high heels. I think we all came to the conclusion that 'piss filter' was the perfect way to describe overly post processed early ps360 games.

Well Thor has come up with 'the chonk' to describe the low poly low res texture look of early Dreamcast and ps2 games that make everything look fat.

I think the first deadly premonition fits on there as well.

• Advertisement

Saw someone mention that the logo looks like their SF app has 6 new emails.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

I don't know if any game meets sales expectations these days, as the company's sales expectations seem to always be "ALL THE SALES! ALL THE MONEYS!"

It's not even unique to games; much of modern-day Western capitalism seems geared towards unsustainable growth, and/or market dominance - with anything lesser deemed a failure.

Seems to me guardians was sent out to die. No marketing push at all. I guess they didn't think it would be good after mankind divided by the same team did bad and it previewed poorly at events. I only took notice of the game when the likes of John linneman were pointing it out as a hidden gem.

And square are notorious for stupid sales expectations.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

GotG could have been massive if it had been properly marketed and promoted, I only picked it up on good word of mouth from reviewers whos general opinion I agree with, and absolutely loved it. Its not without flaws, but It has some lovely content.

Even Little touches that show as you play - at the beginning, you have to direct your teammates to do tasks -groot to make bridges, rocket to hack terminals etc. Fast forward 12 or so hours towards the finale, and you notice that you dont have to tell them anymore, as the team bond, they start acting more like a team, doing stuff without being asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Phoenix Point just feels like a kind of cheaper, unpolished X-Com. I wanted to like it and just couldn't. Got it on PC release and then stupidly bought it again for PS5. Love X-Com.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,031 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Seeing the scores for Eldin Ring I was wondering are there any games or series that you think reviewers are pretty much guaranteed to give a good review to for fear of backlash?

Not saying Eldin Ring is bad but with the hype around it from fans of the genre. Like I'm sure a new mainline Zelda, Mario or Rockstar games would get high scores. I remember the reaction a BotW review got when I think it was in the 70s.

So if Nintendo just secretly did a Doki Doki Panic with the next Mario by taking Balan Wonderworld and slapping Mario characters in it instead and releasing it as the next mainline game would it have reviewed better?

Yeah there's definitely a element of that. No one likes to receive death threats from mobs of incels.

Breath of the Wild was far from perfect, and yet everyone claimed it was at the time, and anyone who said otherwise got shut down. Thankfully, as time rolled on opinion has shifted and it's now just about possible to have a normal conversation about that good, but flawed game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

The real question is whether or not BOTW has waypoints.

Advertisement