Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Yep, an utter scumbag.

What did he do?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,278 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Where to start.

Just being a right wing ultra edgelord. Racist. Homophobia. Transphobia. Telling people to commit suicide.

And then there's stealing work and not crediting collaborators as well.

It's the Phil Fish/Woody Allen dilemma of them being reprehensible human beings but not being able to deny they have made some great works.

Ah, I see. Yeah separating the art from the artist is a dilemma sometimes.

So I decided to boot up the PS5 for the first time in a while and I saw that GT7 and Horizon are €80 each.

Is that right? Eighty feckin euro???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,603 ✭✭✭✭Penn

You can get Horizon for 70 by buying the PS4 version and then upgrading for free to the PS5 version, but yeah, that's what many new current-gen AAA games cost these days.

Unless I'm mistaken, new AAA games on Xbox are €70 when I look at the store.

Even Nintendo seem to top out at €70.

Sony just adds a tenner onto their exclusives it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,033 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Only on PlayStation though. Microsoft seem to have kept prices at €70 and third party games are €60-70.

It's partially why I said "many", but others also add another 5-10euro on for current-gen versions (Tiny Tina's Wonderlands and WWE 2K22 are both €5 more for current-gen versions compared to last-gen versions, on both PS5 and XSX).

• Registered Users Posts: 28,033 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Sony are the only ones charging €80 though I think?

• Advertisement

It seems so, unless we're talking "special editions" or whatever. But standard Sony exclusives are €80.

There's no way I'll ever pay that. I think I'll just sell the console at this stage, it's pointless for me to own it.

Possibly, I just remember seeing Wonderlands and WWE as 75 earlier for PS5 versions. Kinda hard to keep track as every game has about 4 different f*cking editions these days.

Tempted but didn't bite, must check PS4 store but you had to do some serious gymnastics to get just the base game on Xbox and that is a publisher thing. Base is 69.99 one One/s/x but can't see how to get that on the xbox store on the console. Can see it on the web site sure but I see not sold separately for it on the console stores.

Usually on the Xbox store if you click on whatever edition you'll get a choice of editions and you can pick the standard one from that list.

It can be a bit fiddly. Perhaps by design.

So rather than disappear into the vapourware void, it's full steam ahead for Instinction after a "substantial" investment into the studio. So more staff will be hired, they'll be partnering with other studios, and they can now afford to take their time to release as highly polished a game as possible. My excitement level has tentatively risen by a couple of percent.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,940 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Final boss on Deaths Door. Can't be bothered trying to beat him ... Give Tunic a go ... these isometric 3D games are like buses ... none for ages then a load come at the same time ... Progressing nicely ... First boss ... Wallop

I guess I won't be getting Eldin Ring 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 7,845 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

I've been playing a good bit of this. If you are into city builders check out Highrise City.

A great little indy game, built by one person over the last 8 years. He got some help from 3 or 4 others right at the end but really impressive work for one person.

It's like city skylines but with a touch of Anno or maybe more so a bit of satisfactory.

You build your city in the normal fashion. Zone areas, build roads, water, power. Add services like police, fire, hospital and schools.

But instead of just clicking and zoning an area as "residential" or "commercial" and the houses / offices just magically pop up and people move in.

You need resources to build everything.

So for example. You need 1 piece of wood to zone one box as a residential area. So you build a wood mill to chop trees and provide the wood. The bigger tier two houses need 2 wood and 2 bricks. So you need to add a clay pit to get clay out of the ground, and build a brickworks to turn the clay into bricks.

Next level up needs iron and tools. So on top of the above, you need an iron mine to dig up iron ore, you need a smelter to melt it, that needs charcoal so you build a charcoal burner (that needs wood from the wood mill), and then finally you need the processed iron brough to the iron works to make tools.

You need to build the supply chain too. So you need to build a trucking company to ship the clay to the brickworks, the iron ore and charcoal to the smelter, the iron to the tool factory etc. And warehousing to store it.

If you try to cover too much ground with delivery trucks they take ages to get around the city and your factories run out of raw materials and stop production.

You need to build small little areas of focussed business.

But then the residents need to eat. You need farms growing fruit and veg. You need fish processing. They also want clothing and furniture.

It makes you much more involved in the city. Building the supply chain, managing resources.

Anyone into their ARPGs might want to keep an eye on this. Steam early access only for now, alas.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

I just downloaded Lawn Mowing Simulator on my Xbox.

Should make a nice change from driving fast cars and shooting folk.

Started Tunic the other night having finished Elden Ring, was the same with that boss. I'm loving the world and exploration but there are some serious difficulty spikes. I freely admit to using the accessibility options to get through the Quarry really wasn't in the mood for that kind of thing so don't feel at all guilty.

The instruction manual you collect the pages of throughout the world is a thing of wonder, I'd love a physical copy of it. There are some many little details you miss on first glance or don't mean anything with out a hint thats on a missing page.

• Advertisement

I can't understand why they couldn't at least try and grade the bosses. I know I can turn on invulnerability but that kind of ruins the game for me. And there are no saves to go back to, just the current one, so if you do cheat a boss, you can't try again later.

Yep, the manual is lovely and a neat twist.

Just don't have the time to put into it I guess.

I've seen credits, the world is fantastic but the combat isn't good enough to warrant it being that difficult. How anyone beat the final boss legit and not have a broken controller is beyond me. You have very limited magic / ranged options like the bombs etc. Difficulty for difficulties sake here with bosses and the Quarry area I mentioned where you can get debuffed to dead in 1 hit status miles away from the next shrine. Also the controls for blocking, lock on and fighting were somewhat awkward.

It's a shame because had they fairer or maybe more old school Zelda like bosses the game could have been first rate, you are also very limited in terms of consumables. There is a shop but it's late in the game and stuff is expensive, and as a result restricts the use of the wand and gun in long fights.

Yep. I think Nintendo would have spent some more time cleaning up the design problems you've mentioned and made a more accessible and polished classic out of something like this.

I'd say the developers ran out of time and money. And Microsoft offered them some $$$ for a day 1 game pass release. Also, their is the option to fix these problems later ... or wait for Tunic 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,566 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

Made by one guy apparently so it may have just been too much for him.

Wow. Amazing achievement. It's a special game. Hope he gets his just reward and the difficulty spikes are ironed out.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,278 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The problem with being a one man developer is testing. It's hard to test your game when you are so familiar with it which can lead to lopsided difficulty

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Having autosave only tends to make me anxious. There's always the fear you might miss something and can't go back or you've defeated a boss but you'd like to do the fight again as you wasted to much health and ammo on the fight. On the subject of saving I wonder if we'll ever see the end of the don't turn off the power while saving reminder, will it ever be just considered as common knowledge

Had a quick game of the new kirby game to show my nephew and it's so good. Can't wait to sink my teeth in whenever the hell I'm done with Elden Ring.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Not sure if anybody was following this over the last few days.

• Advertisement

Kirby is the opposite of elden ring.

Although it does look like a post apocalyptic world in the new Kirby. But a nice one. With fluffy foxes and stuff.

😊

Advertisement