Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Skull and Bones technical test this week apparently.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Skull and Bones is still happening? Christ, that's been going a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Eduard Khil

Anyone remember the last time a AAA release drought for consoles happened to the extent its happening now very little coming out in the next 6 months to be uber excited about, E3 being cancelled maybe in part due to this said lack of top tier releases.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

They’ve gotten clear out of the way of Elden Ring, and really they made the right call.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,277 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

People saying there's little to be excited about as if Xenoblade 3 and Splatoon 3 aren't coming out in the next 6 months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,940 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Maybe they've all gone back to the drawing board.

It's higher resolution, faster loading, some ray tracing and 60 FPS on the new consoles. Which is absolutely lovely, but nothing fresh.

And these games are getting more and more expensive to produce.

With great power comes great responsibility. Huge mountains to climb to compete in latest AAA market.

Nintendo don't have to compete on these specs and are producing tiny, huge selling games in comparison. Example, new Kirby, new Sports game, ...

I think things will eventually improve, when developers get up to speed with new game engines, ... so they can focus more on gameplay and game design.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,808 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I got Dysmantle, a game about emerging from your bunker years after the apocalypse with just your crowbar to break **** up, upgrade, craft, survive and thrive. Only about 30 minutes but it's actually very relaxing. Well worth a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Eduard Khil

This time last year we would have all been thinking Metroid Prime of some sort Trilogy or 4, Bayonetta 3 BOTW 2 and a whole host of switch games would be here Xenoblade 3 will be fantastic and the fact that it's pushed forward by a few months is even better Fire Emblem Warriors will be a great release Three Houses was great those characters were amazing. Splatoon isn't one I got into too much it's great but I'm just not into the series.

I guess many like me will delve into our backlogs I recently started playing some of the N64 stuff on my switch Mario Golf in particular was great fun.

I missed the 64 entirely so I'm tempted by the expansion pass.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,277 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Some crackers on there. But also an awful lot that doesn't hold up. In retrospect it was a very poor console only really buoyed by strong first party releases and the odd good third party.

If you do get the expansion pass don't overlook Sin and Punishment. It's one of the best games on the system. Controls are a little weird, it was developed specifically for the N64 controller and only makes sense there, but if you can get through that it's a really great game.

The whole package costs €40 for the year and for that I get Mario 64 and the two Zelda games which justifies the price on its own I think, regardless of the other titles on offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

I feel a part of this is also the arrogance of a lot of AAA publishers thinking they'll clean up at the winter sales period so push titles out for the september - november dates.

Frankly as last winter period showed, there are a lot of titles that should have waited til now and probably would have done better overall for it.

Speaking of AAA games ...

Did anyone get the PS5 or XBOX Series X version of GTA 5 ?

It's 20 quid on Xbox I believe for the next few weeks and 10 quid on PS5. Then it goes to 40 quid or something ...

Thinking of getting it, maybe sell some old crap in CEX (including the old version of the game I have).

'Cause I liked the game, and I love 60 FPS 😀

Just wondering what people's experience of it has been on these consoles.

Note: I'm only interested in the single player/campaign version of the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,390 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

It runs beautifully, by the way. Really smooth and looks so much better on the PS5.

But that post is still 100% apt Retro. 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Buy it once. Buy it on PC.

Show be some sort of marketing slogan....

...unless its Skyrim.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I bought it on release on Xbox. And last week it was on sale on Xbox for a tenner. It's as good as the PC version as I also own that running on a 6900 XT. So not held back.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

• Advertisement

My Nintendo Switch pro controller constantly disconnects from Bluetooth every few seconds today. It's firmware is updated, battery full, etc.

Is this common?

I rebooted and reconnected everything and it seems ok now. Weird one.

looks like Assassins Creed: Pirates of the Caribbean Indian Sea.

Its live now until the 2nd, will have a look later.

Skull and Bones seems interesting but not bothering much more with the test that **** watermark all over the screen makes it unplayable.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Jaysus, I wonder how long it would take to get all 186 endings

• Registered Users Posts: 29,808 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I'm really looking forward to The Quarry. I only played through Until Dawn once, must play it again but i liked just going with the flow and enjoying the story it threw at me no matter who died.

Playing god of war ascension and it's like taking a peak into a time capsule, and not in a good way. Always found god of war 3 on release to be a poor game and didn't understand the praise other than for how it looks. Ascension is pretty much more of the same.

I really likes the gow games on ps2 and PSP and there's just something really off about gow 3 and ascension. Going back to it and it's very obvious. Those older games ran unlocked between 30 and 60 fps. These games run at 30 but barely hit it, mostly running at 20 fps. Top that off with a deferred renderer and you have mountains of input delay to deal with. It means its very unresponsive and reacting to enemy attacks frustrating.

There's plenty of examples of bad gameplay from the ps360 era as well. Uncharted auto climbing which is boring and setpieces that are just rote memorisation. I give out about modern games but going back to this I can see we have thankfully moved away from such bad game design.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,031 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

One thing I didn't like about Ascension was when it zoomed out so far that it was hard to tell which was Kratos.

Yes that really annoyed me!

• Advertisement

Contemplating buying Elden Ring, I really feel like I'm missing out. Why do I have a bad feeling about it? Should I? It's the idea that its very hard that makes me think I'm just going to find it utterly frustrating but maybe I've got the wrong impression?

Advertisement