Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Ah Auto-aim, when the thing that would get someone server banned is now an expectation. Not aimed at you, just a late night lament on where gaming has gone over the decades.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

He's talking about auto aiming on a game on the N64. So is it not a case of 'same as it ever was'?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,272 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It's something they had to implement in Goldeneye to make it playable on console.

Speaking of which, modern console FPS game have aim assist where the cursor will follow an enemy subtly. It started in Halo but it's something is needed on a console shooter to make them fun because a controller is just so awful for FPS and TPS games, it makes them playable. And if you think I'm being a PC snob, find a console shooter where it can be turned off. It's not fun at all. People think Halo introducing twin stick gameplay was its big innovation. It didn't introduce it and it was common place. It was actually the aim assist it introduced making a console FPS playable was the big innovation that made it feel so good to play.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Yep! You have no cursor or reticule to start and just have to aim in the general direction of enemies and the auto-aim does the rest. If you hold the left trigger (or right mouse button I presume) you get an aiming reticule that's floating around and you kind of have to 'wrestle' it under control for headshots or aimed shots at the likes of exploding barrels.

I did read some comments online suggesting it's not really like what Goldeneye controlled like, but it certainly resonates 'early console FPS' vibes in abundance.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,272 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Nice they replicated it. I don't think it would be the same with standard keyboard and mouse.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I played around 30 seconds on mouse and keyboard, recoiled in horror and picked up a controller :P

• Registered Users Posts: 29,029 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Can you set off loads of mines to bring the frames down to single digits? Or do they have Slappers Only?

Quick go of TMNT Shredder's Revenge and it's fantastic. Nails the feel of the arcade game but with more modern gameplay.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

Played a good chunk of it yesterday and I jumped into a 6-player session. Way too hectic for my liking. Couldn't see where the hell I was a lot of the time.

I think I might be in the minority when I say 6 players for a beat 'em up is too much.

Finally got around to playing Dishonored 2. Game Pass on Series X, man this is janky af! It plays like it is broken, i keep pausing to go into the settings to fix it and then realise this is it, theres no fixing it. It is crying out for fps boost. I started off streaming it and found the input lag too much. So downloaded it instead and although there was an improvement on input lag it was still there. I realised then it was the 30 fps causing me to overcompensate.

I really hope the days of 30 fps are over. I suspect it will revert back to the standard as UE5 and next gen engines becomes the norm and more and more resources are taken up.

I played Dishonored 1 with fps boost and it was buttery smooth, a pleasure to play. I'm not even sure I can continue playing D2 like this.

• Advertisement

I played through the first few levels last night and it's certainly a good example of the form - speedy and responsive where I often find a lot of brawlers somewhat sluggish. Looks great too - full of colourful, vibrant pixel art. That said, even with good examples of the genre like this and Streets of Rage 4 I just think it's a genre of game that isn't really for me. Just something about it that leaves me at a remove even when I can tell it's a strong example of the form.

While I agree 60 FPS should be standard, it's important to remember as well that not all 30 FPS games are born equal. Dishonored 2 was definitely iffy on console (PC too at launch, as that was a notably poor PC version) with bad screen-tearing and lurches below 30. I can tolerate 30 if it's a flawless 30 like TLOU2 was (and I'm more forgiving when it comes to handheld games), but an uneven 30 FPS like Dishonored 2 feels really, really awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭McFly85

Recently saw that Deus Ex: Mankind Divided was on sale for €5 so picked that up along with Human Revolution as I’ve never played either of them - a fair few hours into Human Revolution and I think it’s really good. 30fps was really distracting for a few minutes but didn’t take long to get used to(Mankind Divided has FPS boost so won’t have to worry about it there!).

The original hasn’t been released on console since the PS2 which really surprises me considering how highly regarded it is, considering all of the remakes and remasters we get now it never really gets mentioned.

The original is in a different league to any of the games that followed, a real peak of the immersive sim genre on PC. Mankind Divided / Human Revolution are fine but the original really is the best of the best.

It's 99c on GOG at the moment and if you have any sort of PC / laptop to play it with.

Its the kind of immersive sim that just doesn't work on a joypad. You really need a keyboard to keep track of all your upgrades, stims and gadgets. The ps2 verison really didn't work well and had to be very simplified.

You don't get these types of games anymore as they have been greatly simplified for consoles.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,601 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Proof if ever it was needed that microtransactions in games are bad:

If Ted Cruz agrees you can be sure it's absolute evil.

Honestly it just comes across as him being prepped to say he likes videogames and is down with the kids by someone that is so out of touch they think the videogames kids play are mobile junk.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,318 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Stands to reason a hardcore American republican would love the idea of gaming squeezed through the most capitalist, nickel and dime implementation possible.

At this stage, gaming is probably a strong enough industry to have the ear/wallet of a few choice senators. Passively support microtransactions - or block attempts to outlaw them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

**** prick. In general like.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,318 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

However bad a day you might be having, always remember: at least you're not Ted Cruz.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

I would love if there was a Dirt Rally 3.0. Dirt Rally was tough, Dirt Rally 2.0 was even tougher but brilliant.

Also, playing Dirt Rally in PSVR is an amazing experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,601 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I wouldn't be surprised at all if Cruz is telling the truth. He likes games, but mostly only ones where he can pay to win. It's Capitalism at its finest!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

A few weeks ago he was blaming videogames for causing mass shootings in the States, but tbf there was good, honest money to be made from the gun lobby at the time. Those trips to Cancun don't pay for themselves after all.

Dirt Rally 2 is next up on the back log. Unless FH5 DLC comes out first. Don't think I've played a rally game since Colin McRae Rally.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Colin McRae. I remember playing those games on PC with a steering wheel. Good times.

There's a Colin McRae expansion for Dirt Rally 2.0 as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I loved Colin McRae and the V-Rally games of the late 90s, but the modern WRC and DiRT Rally games are too hard imo. I don't find enjoyment in them. But I do prefer arcade racing in general.

Oh no, I'm getting excited about a new mainline Final Fantasy game for the first time in a decade or two!

Feels like I'm setting myself up for disappointment... but they're really giving off the right messages about this game, and SE seems to have chosen the right creative team. I've only played a few hours of FFXIV as I'm not keen on MMOs, but XVI sounds right up my street so far.

Linear, non open world and they seem to have really nailed real time combat with ff7. Also loving the faux matsuno look and feel to the world. I think this one will be a good one.

Man I'm such an old crusty that all these photo-real Final Fantasy games feel deeply wrong - even if Cloud is very pretty in a dress.

Where are my chunky sprites bouncing about in lieu of emoting faces? Final Fantasy is Kefka chortling evilly.

There's the pixel remasters for that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭McFly85

Yeah I have a good feeling about this one. If the combat is half as good as FF7R it will be a blast to play.

Advertisement