Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,443 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

how dare you sir! I'm a laaady!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Saruhashi

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I think there's centuries of gender stereotyping to get over before videogames really catch on with women. There's absolutely no reason than games should appeal more to men than women especially with videogames being such a diverse medium. There's an awful lot of women totally dismissive of videogames that have never played any, or even women I know that loved videogames as a kid but now look down on them, most likely due to social pressure.

On top of that you've also got a boys club 'boys only' mentality from a lot of male videogame players which exasperates the issue.

From my own experience during my post grad days I used to bring the wii out on nights out and end up playing videogames all night with a lot of female friends who would slag me off and tell me videogames are a waste of time yet would be enthralled with not just wii sports but games like Mario kart, bomberman, soul calibur 2, street fighter 2 etc. Even recently I got a lot of female friends playing Rocket League after a night out. Had to kick the feckers out of the house.

I dunno, I think videogames have already caught on with women. To some extent I think they always were popular with women.

I see more of a problem in the fact that we use "videogames" to describe an extremely broad range of products and experiences. Kind of like if Tesco just put a sign that read "Food" above every aisle.

Most people know that 50% of gamers are women but I've found that the question of what kind of games they are playing is often met with an angry "IT DOESN'T MATTER".

It kind of does matter though if we are going to say "50% of gamers are women but we don't have any women in the big Overwatch esports teams" and conclude that this is down to a "boys only" mentality.

Kind of like if Tesco just labelled everything the alcohol section as "booze" and then people bang on that 50% of booze drinkers are women but 90% of beer drinkers are men. Maybe women prefer something that isn't beer?

It depends on what kinds of games different people like to play and how much time and money and effort they are willing to invest in playing those games.

It's not that games appeal more to men than women. It's that certain games appeal more to men and certain games appeal more to women AND men and women have the freedom to choose what games they will play or not play.

I don't know what we can really do there. There is pressure to say there is no such thing as biological gender and so it follows that any split in society comes down to socialization.

I think it's more likely though that certain gaming experiences simply appeal more to men and certain gaming experiences simply appeal more to women.

Even within an individual game there can be different experiences that will appeal, or not appeal, to different types of people. Someone might want to spend hundreds of hours playing the game day after day for years while another player might wait until the game is on sale then play it for 20 to 40 hours over a 2 week period and then never pick it up again.

Anecdotally, the women I know are very much into playing games but they are not into paying 350 euro for a gaming console and 60 euro for a game. So they play games on their phones and that's OK.

I'm not sure that I can force them to fork out the money on consoles and games and I don't think there's an ethical way to apply societal pressure to them where the end goal is to get them to give all their money to Sony or Nintendo.

Nobody is really asking women if they even WANT to play GTAV or CoD or Overwatch. They're just saying we need to get over centuries of gender stereotyping so these games can catch on with women. Why?

What if women still decide "nah, I'm good, you play your silly shooty shooty car chase game while I watch make up tutorials and play candy crush"?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Proper 'casual' gaming returns :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

K.O.Kiki wrote: »

Proper 'casual' gaming returns :)

I appreciate the Wallace and Gromit style aesthetics. Will probably end up buying this on launch as I really enjoyed the original!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

I think the first theme hospital is out there available for free...on Origin maybe still.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

Jesus Christ. So, have been watching some of the long form critiques since summer of last year. I feel a lot of them go far too in depth in really trivial things (there was 20 minutes on combat in a Witcher 3 one I watched once, seriously way to long for a system that isn't hugely in depth, whereas the build up to combat is far more important and, ironically, less detailed). Anyway, guess what popped up on my recommended?

A 5 hour long critique of Oblivion. My jaw dropped when I saw the video length time. Seriously, how can you drag out a critique of a game for 5 hours?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,174 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Christ, reminds me of when I watched a 90 minute Indoctrination Theory video after the Mass Effect 3 ending controversy.

I wanted to believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

mrkiscool2 wrote:
    A 5 hour long critique of Oblivion. My jaw dropped when I saw the video length time. Seriously, how can you drag out a critique of a game for 5 hours?

On oblivion I'm sure it's not too hard as it's as long as you can make it. Talk about the opening, how it compares to Morrowind & Skyrim, the gates, different quests & pad it out with a walkthrough.

Looks pretty faithful to the enjoyable 2013 game. Hard to get excited for game movies though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

ERG89 wrote: »

Looks pretty faithful to the enjoyable 2013 game. Hard to get excited for game movies though.

lol, its pretty much the exact same formula to the first tomb raider movie with Angelina Jolie.

Her father was hunting for a treasure and came close, but passed away but not before leaving lara the key and bread crumbs on what to do next, now its a race against time to stop evil guy and his band of mercenaries from getting to it first. If it ends up being revealed that Goggins killed her father, its a straight up copy...

I was kinda hoping they would capture the kinda mood the rebooted game captured, focusing on survival and stealth... Instead of OTT action with exploding set pieces and corny dialogue exchanges :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,443 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

nix wrote: »

I was kinda hoping they would capture the kinda mood the rebooted game captured, focusing on survival and stealth... Instead of OTT action with exploding set pieces and corny dialogue exchanges :(

But the rebooted game is mostly OTT action with explosive set pieces and corny dialogue exchanges? :pac:

I’ve (foolishly, in hindsight) played through both games and they’re easily among the worst, blandest AAA games I’ve ever played. The survival stuff is swiftly abandoned or becomes mere background busywork in favour of formulaic open world guff, disappointingly shallow puzzling and numbing body counts.

The only thing the games reminded me of is how, for all the flaws of Uncharted (and the flaws are many), Naughty Dog bring a certain artistry and confidence to the genre that the likes of the new Tomb Raider simply cannot match.

But the rebooted game is mostly OTT action with explosive set pieces and corny dialogue exchanges? :pac:

I’ve (foolishly, in hindsight) played through both games and they’re easily among the worst, blandest AAA games I’ve ever played. The survival stuff is swiftly abandoned or becomes mere background busywork in favour of formulaic open world guff, disappointingly shallow puzzling and numbing body counts.

The only thing the games reminded me of is how, for all the flaws of Uncharted (and the flaws are many), Naughty Dog bring a certain artistry and confidence to the genre that the likes of the new Tomb Raider simply cannot match.

Haha that it is Johhny :D, but its darker, and from what i can remember, more violent than the previous older games. So i guess i was hoping they would try and capture that, also throw in the comradery she had with her friends she traveled with.. In this it looks like wise cracking with people she hired to transport her to wherever, no doubt all expendable canon fodder :pac:

But its so alike the first movie, its looking to be going down the old beaten game/movie track that leads to failure :(

• Registered Users Posts: 23,174 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

The river scene brought back uncomfortable memories...

TombRaider_RiverDeath2.gif

• How I feel, in a bigshell (:D)

*Edit* Obvious Spoliers

• Registered Users Posts: 33,689 ✭✭✭✭Penn

nix wrote: »

Ultimately, it's a trailer for an action/adventure movie. Even if there is a good bit of survival/stealth bits in between the action bits, they're not going to show that in the trailer because it isn't exciting. The rebooted game they're basing it on had plenty of action/explosion sections too.

Penn wrote:
    Ultimately, it's a trailer for an action/adventure movie. Even if there is a good bit of survival/stealth bits in between the action bits, they're not going to show that in the trailer because it isn't exciting. The rebooted game they're basing it on had plenty of action/explosion sections too.

Yeah the game was survival, a lot of adventure, back to survival for a bit then adventure. Probably 80/20 split on action. Stuff like her Dad was featured a in the series from a narrative pov a good bit. The trailer has scene for scene bits ripped straight from the game, bar the fail states. Thought it looked interesting cause of that. Showing island savages & people trying to resurrect a witch may not feature in a trailer or at all tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I'm playing through Tomb Raider Anniversary & it's amazing just how much fun it is to run through gigantic levels with very few enemies.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,017 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Have to say, the TR trailer looks good to me. They definitely have the grunts, cries and collisions down at least. I'm looking forward to it.

And I loved the recent reboots, thought they were great games! Felt like an explorer for some of it, which is a first for a TR game in a while! Suppose they need action in it though, or the masses wouldn't be happy with a survival game with little action. I can't quite remember, but was there a lot of people killing in the original TR game?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,689 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Have to say, the TR trailer looks good to me. They definitely have the grunts, cries and collisions down at least. I'm looking forward to it.

And I loved the recent reboots, thought they were great games! Felt like an explorer for some of it, which is a first for a TR game in a while! Suppose they need action in it though, or the masses wouldn't be happy with a survival game with little action. I can't quite remember, but was there a lot of people killing in the original TR game?

The original as in the very first game? It was mostly animals, monsters and a T-Rex you fought. Not a lot of human enemies if I remember right, though there were a few. In the reboot, yeah, you lament your first killing and then pretty much kill everyone on the island.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,388 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I wish Tomb Raider wouldn't follow the Uncharted formula. As much as people say Uncharted is what tomb raider should be (guilty of it myself) all it is, is a linear action shooter with set pieces. I played through Tomb Raider 1 and 2 recently and those games are nothing like uncharted. It's you against the environmental puzzles the designers put against you with **** combat that gets in the way. It feels like you are actually raiding a tomb. The games get much worse after the first one as the focus is more on combat which gets more intricate but never gets many better.

As it stands, Tomb Raider is now a me too triple A blob of amorphous forgettable.

• Advertisement

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I played through Tomb Raider 1 and 2 recently and those games are nothing like uncharted. It's you against the environmental puzzles the designers put against you with **** combat that gets in the way. It feels like you are actually raiding a tomb.

I can't remember playing those since 2001 but I do remember the camera & controls were harder to deal with than the puzzles or tombs.

Penn wrote: »

Well, call me crazy, but of you're rebooting from the previous Angelina Jolie movies, its probably a good idea that you do focus on those bits a bit (if they are even in it) rather than... making it look like the same movie with different actors. :(

Is there even an age rating on the movie yet? I'm guessing PG-13 which will more than likely confirm my paranoia, the rebooted game was piggy 18 from what i can recall and judging by the gif above :D

• Registered Users Posts: 29,839 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Just watched the new TR film trailer, looks like fun but the reason I'd sit down and watch it is because of Walton Goggins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 803 ✭✭✭BelovedAunt

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Just watched the new TR film trailer, looks like fun but the reason I'd sit down and watch it is because of Walton Goggins.

He was magnificent in The Hateful Eight!

He was magnificent in The Hateful Eight!

I've been a big fan since the shield, and to a lesser extent.. Sons of Anarchy LOL

1839eaa44b76cd4663723bd5aade6126cb856aaba2e0a5c0f970a4cf1492df6b.jpg?mw=600

Go way you went all Tiggy when you saw him/her in SoA :pac:

Talking of the greatest TV show of all time The Shield, they should remaster the game they released years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

What are Zavvi like to deal with? Do they go through An Post?

I'm trying to find a place to pre-order the Yakuza 6 premium edition and they seem to have it.

Pac1Man wrote: »
    What are Zavvi like to deal with? Do they go through An Post?

I'm trying to find a place to pre-order the Yakuza 6 premium edition and they seem to have it.

Is that the one with the whiskey glasses? I would love that. Haven't bought from zavvi in years as it would take weeks to get anything off them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Is that the one with the whiskey glasses? I would love that. Haven't bought from zavvi in years as it would take weeks to get anything off them.

That's the one.

Thinking after I posted, I could always just use Gamestop.

• Advertisement

Base have it and I got kiwami the day before release when I pre-ordered
    https://www.base.com/buy/product/yakuza-6-the-song-of-life-after-hours-premium-edition-ps4/dgc-yak6peps4.htm

Advertisement