Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,028 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Thinking about all the time spent just trying to get past the first few stages then see a video like that with it being between in less than an hour.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,318 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Ah no I know what you mean; I had SSW, and being a preteen with oodles of spare time those insane difficulty spikes just accounted for hours of all the spare time I had while I tried to clear the first level. Nowadays 100 hours of gameplay is achieved through copy and paste fetch quests; fadó it was bulshít difficulty.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

I'm looking forward to playing SnowRunner. It should be truckin' great.

So I will be going from power washing vans to driving trucks and then onwards to mowing lawns.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

RotJ was the easiest and TESB is the hardest. Being a hardcore SW fan in the early - mid 90's was tough as there was nothing happening with the franchise aside from the books/comics. I played those games to death. I could never beat Empire though, it was bastard hard.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,272 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The PC star wars games at the time were incredible. XWing was great but Tie Fighter is an absolute classic that still holds up. Dark Forces was amazing as well. Then you had Jedi knight which has aged poorly but was great at the time.

Hell, I even got some enjoyment out of rebel assault.

• Advertisement

Yea we got our first Pentium PC in '95. Was buying it in Peats in town and the bloke behind the counter in the basement told me to pick out a couple of games. I picked TIE Fighter and Dark Forces, knowing nothing about them, safe to say that was a good decision.

The Rebel Assault games weren't exactly high art but they were fun for what they were. I remember being gobsmacked when I saw RA2 for the first time on Bad Influence.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,318 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Dark Forces hasn't aged well IMO; last time I played it the maps were sprawling mazes ... but then equally, that's probably of the time. Long time since I played Jedi Knight 1 though - played the sequel dozens of times, an absolute great game, its lightsaber combat good enough the Multiplayer game persisted to this day.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,272 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I finished Dark Forces recently and adored it. The only issue is that sewer level being the second stage but I really enjoyed said sprawling levels and figuring out the puzzles. Some can be quite tough, I remember being stuck on one for a long time where you had to get on top of an elevator and blow a hole in the wall.

Jedi Knight on the other hand when I went back just felt a bit janky with massive sprawling levels filled with not a whole lot. Very easy to get lost as well because you can't find a breakable vent or switch that blends into the scenery. The Raven Soft sequels were more polished but also kind of uninteresting imo.

Why is everyone on this forum so obsessed with how games age?

Who cares, they were great back then and that is all that matters.

Don't agree. Plenty of games were "great" when I played them as a spotty teenager, only to find them pieces of relative shít years later. Traipsing around an incoherent level was fun when I was 15. Now?

No more than any other media, games are victim to nostalgia and retrospection. Maybe more so, given the industry basically learned its trade across those chaotic years of the 80s and 90s.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

It's a fascinating subject IMO. I don't think any medium has evolved (and occasionally devolved) so rapidly. I'll still happily watch films from the 1920s, but there are surprisingly few games from the 80s and 90s that are still as accessible as they once were. Controls are a massive part of it - it breaks my brain to go back to a lot of PS1 or N64 games. But while it's fair to say the rush towards accessibility has hurt some genres (like the FPS, which has lost some complexity over the years) the advances in user interfaces, game mechanics and quality-of-life features have come on leaps and bounds. Hard to go back to many JRPGs now with their relentless random battles.

There are of course great games that are still perfectly playable today, especially the great SNES / PS1 era 2D games. But whereas anyone can sit down and watch a silent film without much of a barrier of entry (other than the stylistic adjustment), so many early 3D games genuinely feel like engaging with an alien interface at times so strange and foreign they now feel.

Mostly these types of games that age poorly represented big technological jumps or coasted on hype. Usually they weren't really good games in retrospect but their limitations were acceptable back in the day. Some examples are Battle Arena Toshinden, a gorgeous showcase of the PS1's power but in retrospect one of the worst 3D fighters ever. Or Goldeneye which not only brought FPS games to console but also presented a new more cinematic approach to FPS games and missions rather than get to the exit. In retrospect the technical issues were really bad and it's since been surpassed. Or Red Dead Redemption 2 which is just shite but got on on hype alone 😎. Compare that to something like Super Mario Bros 3, Doom 2 or Ico. Those games will always be amazing no matter how dated their tech becomes.

There's plenty of games I loved that haven't really aged well when I go back to them. Earthworm Jim, Mortal Kombat, SiN, etc. Sometimes I see people getting excited about something like Syphon Filter and kind of cringing thinking about how badly they will react when they realise that it isn't that great.

That's not to say that these games can't be enjoyed or be fun. I've gone back to a lot of games that don't really hold up that well and still enjoyed them enough or found them interesting enough to get through them.

There's another big barrier of entry to old games as well, input lag. Modern games are built to compensate for input lag but it can have massive negative effects on older games built to be played on CRT screens with zero lag. Jeremy Parish was recently talking about getting a Famicom Disk system and trying Doki Doki Panic/Mario 2 on it and having a bad time with it and not realising why until he got a proper CRT set up. It's an unconscious thing but the games play far worse with input lag. I'm a pretty good Castlevania player but playing on a LCD now I find myself making just and attacks too late due to lag. They're just a whole lot less fun unless you play with something that allows for lag compensation.

Just to add that there are a good few cases where you have to take into account the environment and time that some games were released into. For instance, Wizardry style FPS games have been polished into perfection over the years. Etrian Odyssey is an amazing compromise between crushing difficulty and player accessiblity. Whereas old Wizardry games are stupidly tough, have lots of annoying random elements (randomly getting a player wipe when a teleport spell fails and teleports you into a wall), and characters that age into uselessness. It's totally unacceptable for a modern player but at the time when you had a PC with very few games but had this game that emulated a DnD session and it was all you had and could dedicated hours and multiple play throughs to, it was mindblowing.

Even now I'm playing Monkey Island 2 and I'm horribly lost and it's kind of annoying because I'm used to modern games, whereas this was perfectly fine in the 90's when you didn't have many games.

So basically there can be an element of well it was good for the time. Some games only really work in relation to the timeframe they were released.

I can't play powerwasher sim. I need to powerwash the patio (in real life) but I am the master of procrastination.

Spending my time powerwashing in a video game while not doing it in real life will not go down well with the missus 😄

• Registered Users Posts: 29,028 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Can just say you're practising while preserving water during this hot weather.

I'm only playing the itch.io version, but damn I can see why Vampire Survivors exploded as a bit of a viral hit. Barely one step up from an Idle Game, but also somewhat addictive all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,808 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Just tried Resident Evil 1 OG after recently playing REmake 1. It's madness seeing the difference and how utterly blown away I was as a teenager playing it for the first time .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,927 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

I have a load of real work to do and a load of games to play, but haven't the energy to do anything except maybe jump back into Skyrim.

Also @Retr0gamer, RDR2 is a work of art with terrible controls.

So I tried SnowRunner, and it didn't take long for my truck (GMC) to get stuck in the mud:

Someone is going to be waiting a long time to get some timber, or might not get it at all.

• Advertisement

The person waiting for the wood will have to find a new supplier as I dumped my load. I am now carrying metal, which I probably dump, this time in the middle of nowhere.

I haven't got a **** clue what I'm doing in this game 😆

Oh well, my days of truckin' are over:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I actually have a truck transport company. You seem to handle those trucks pretty good. I'd hire you if you want like...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,161 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Tried to get into Devil May Cry after I saw a video of Vergil who looks cool.

Couldn't get into it. DMC1 is just a game of its time. Janky jumping and wonky camera angles put me off.

I'll try DMC5 when it's on sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,600 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I loved DMC1 but yes the controls and camera are very f*cky. DMC3 is a good starting point, the Special Edition is also the first with playable Vergil (though you should play as Dante first).

DMC4 is a game I loved, but the level design is quite lazy and repetitive.

Then again, no harm just jumping into DMC5 either. With the special edition you have 4 different playable characters who are all very different. It's a great game. Again, you should probably play the normal Nero/V/Dante story mode, but then definitely play as Vergil. His moveset is terrific.

Started weirdo PS1 game Baroque that got recently fan translated. Strange, strange game that's a rogue like filled with religious imagery. My first run through the dungeon I was blinded by these green fuckers literally **** blood in my face. It's even grosser in game with the scuttery fart sound effect. It's this kind of stuff that reminds me why games are awesome.

The first DMC is by far my favourite. I think I preferred the series when it still had one foot in Resident Evil. The combat in the newer ones is great and all but I am always very aware that I am just running down a corridor from fight to fight.

Ah yeah, as long as you have a fleet of MAN TGX's and old skool Kogel tilt semi-trailers.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,845 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Have you tried procrastination simulator? Where your character sits on the couch not playing the video game based on the manual work they are not doing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,927 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

I put procrastination simulator on the backlog. Get to it eventually.😁

Advertisement