Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Just a heads up there are tonnes of great games that are not fps's.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,023 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

If that's the best game you've ever played there's plenty more available that are far better and more enjoyable.

Try God of War next.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,270 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

There's a small indie D-tier game coming out before christmas called God of War Ragnorak.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

You mean the hype that it'll be a broken buggy mess on launch/amazing looking but bland/focussed on online MP MT's? No, nothing I can think of. But Ragnarök is out on Nov 9th and it. Will. Be. Amazing.

Edit: I thought of one, NBA 2K23 is out in just over a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

The hype and attention around GoWR has been unreal so far, every little piece of info (or lack thereof) has had the internet up in arms. When this happened with Cyberpunk it was 100% CDPRs fault for hyping it so much, but I have no idea where it is coming from with GoW, aside from the fact that the first was well received maybe?

The release is going to be a complete shitshow. There's going to be tonnes of news about Xbox fans review-bombing it, Kotaku will run an article about how the game misrepresents Dwarves and is secretly propaganda for Trump 2024, a female twitch streamer is gonna get doxxed for saying Atreus has a weird face and someone is gonna petrol bomb Edge's office for 'only' giving it an 8.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,270 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Honestly not noticed a whole lot of hype coming from Sony, although fans are definitely hyped about it. I think Sony know that the first game was so good that it can basically sell itself based on that with little marketing. I haven't been following any of the hype so that's probably why I didn't notice it but also it's because I know that if this is just more of the same with a few gameplay additions, refinements and less palette swapped bosses then it's going to be awesome. It's kind of a known quantity I don't need to be hyped for!

Compared that to the Last of Us remake which has Sony pumping out videos for trying desperately to convince people it's worth buying.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,928 ✭✭✭Cordell

When this happened with Cyberpunk it was 100% CDPRs fault for hyping it so much

No. There are games who don't live up the expectations created by the hype, and there are games that are hot steaming piles of crap. At launch Cyberpunk was the latter, and it was gradually improved to be the former.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,808 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Dunno why but everytime I hear Sony/ND mention Built from the ground up, I'm reminded of this father ted scene.

I'm not talking about the quality of the actual game or even whether the reaction to the game was justified or not. I'm saying CDPR intentionally created the massive hype that the game couldn't live up to, whereas GoWR is generating similar levels of hype for reasons which I can't put my finger on.

Much like Cyberpunk, GoWR is going to generate extremely strong reactions.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,596 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I think GOWR is only generating similar levels of hype due to the last game, rather than the actions of the devs. CDPR hyped up CP2077 for years, beyond what they could actually achieve in the game. Santa Monica haven't released a lot, but what they have released is in keeping with what we know from the previous game. There'll definitely be debates about whether it's better than the last game, and even if it's GOTY contender (it vs Elden Ring especially), but CDPR were as much responsible for the excess hype of CP2077 as the fans were, whereas Santa Monica have played it very cool thus far and seem prepared to let the game speak for itself.

• Advertisement

It could be another Witcher 3 vs BloodBorne scenario when it comes to GOTY voting. Hopefully it is as difficult to choose between Elden Ring and GoWR as it was between those two.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

As much as I love Elden Ring - and I really do love Elden Ring - in a year that has given us fantastic, unique experiences such as Norco, Neon White, Rollerdrome, Citizen Sleeper etc... (among others I haven't played yet) it'd be downright negligent for any GOTY contest to boil down to a two-game race.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,808 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Sifu and even Dismantle deserve to be in the GOTY discussion. Dysmantle is criminally underrated.

I've heard people say Xenoblade 3 is a contender as well.

So much for worst year ever for games. It's been an amazing year imo and we still have some great stuff to come, it's a very busy run up to xmas.

Maybe it is just me but the end of year period seems a little lighter than usual, at least for the big budget games.

Yes, but it's looking like an indie, retro re-release bonanza.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Have to say, I'm looking forward to Pentiment more than any other release towards the end of the year, at least based on currently announced releases - never discount a few indie gems dropping out of the blue! Seems to be the ideal of the 'GamePass game' - a smaller, more idiosyncratic project from a first-party studio that maybe wouldn't have been made if MS didn't need games faster to feed the GamePass model. Hopefully it lives up to the promise of the art style and conceit.

While I do think it's an exciting development model for MS to follow with their studios, it does also run the risk of tossed-off, half-baked projects like Bleeding Edge (remember that?). But Pentiment on its showings so far is exactly the sort of game I like to see a studio like Obsidian working on.

GoWR's hype is 100% coming from the first game being excellent. They've released very little compared to other big name releases, but I'm hoping that's more SM not wanting to spoil anything. We know roughly what to expect, and I'd imagine a lot of fans are like me, waiting to see how the story unfolds. It's the game I've been waiting for all year. Hyped, but trying to keep it in check!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

So, I'm going to assume there were either no Irish people at the meeting that chose the name or there absolutely was.

IRA... bullet hell they reckon

I can't find anything about them and that's their only game. Also, I assume the latter!

• Advertisement

IRA pops up a lot internationally. As anyone who does the NYT Crossword regularly knows, it’s the acronym for a major retirement scheme in the US. And it was the acronym for the recent inflation omnibus bill in the US too, leading to some comments that read very differently in Ireland than elsewhere:

Its an incredible game. I played it on PS4 when it came out originally but picked it up for pc at the weekend. Running maxed out at 1440p and it feels like a while new game.

Boy....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I also think without looking it up that the game is called eye rah rather than i r a.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,454 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

It's also a name in Hebrew!

If the Iranian Contras can have a badly named game then why not the IRA?

Not going to argue that. Also prefer the Appleseed/patlabor style robots. Pity about the 50hz shittiness.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,551 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

My favourite unfortunately named name:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

This is the winner, surely

• Advertisement

Advertisement