Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,270 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Not sure what to make of it. I watched a video and it looks unplayable.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Same. Not sure what I'm looking at, and just looks like visual noise for the sake of it. Is that meant to be representative of the gameplay?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The trailer seems to show very extreme high-level play. There is a perfectly coherent and traditional game there by all accounts, just with wild abstract presentation. Video below shows the tutorial, beginner's play etc...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Well. God speed to anyone whose brain & eyes don't immediately combust trying to parse all that. This 42-year-old now has to sit down and look at some calming, soothing colours lol.

Sound design is pretty impressive mind you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Greyfox

It's still a blow though, having enough content is where VR is still struggling a bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

I'm playing New Super Mario Brothers on my 3DS and taking deep breaths and I haven't even watched it 😝

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

DLSS 3 seems to continue the trend of super sampling being akin to some kind of dark magic if these early performance indicators are accurate. I look forward to seeing it in action in a few years when Nvidia releases a GPU with the tech that isn’t obscenely, disgustingly overpriced (the 40xx prices being laughably high so far).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Obnoxious prices, and they're **** around with the nomenclature to try and justify some of it (two tiers of 4080 when the lower one should really be called a 4070). RDNA3 is due to be revealed in early November, so fingers crossed they have something of note at better prices.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,270 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The prices are laughably and Nvidia is swimming in 3xxx series stock they need to get rid of so expect these cards to be impossible to find on top of everything.

• Advertisement

Surprised I can't see any mention of the Return to Monkey Island. Its a bit a great addition to the series. Feels like one of the originals. Thank god they dropped the 3D approach.

Forget Elden Ring. The real GOTY just dropped. Needs sound to fully appreciate it:

Also extremely **** to fully lock DLSS 3 behind the generation gap. Thankfully, the 20xx and 30xx cards will continue to be extremely capable cards for many years to come - and hopefully if/when they do eventually release a 4070/60/50 they'll be more sensible offerings (although we can probably expect a 'premium' price too compared to previous gens).

Have played the first hour or so and it's very impressive. Love the artstyle in action - really gives the feel of something halfway between a cartoon and a puppet show.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,454 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

I do love a good Monkey Island game.

Is the new one worth full price or wait for a sale? :)

Always hard to say as financial circumstances differ from person to person, but at just over 20 quid it's very fairly priced and most certainly is more Monkey Island :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,454 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Ah yes of course, i know what you mean! It is a fair price for sure and I might pick it up on Friday to play over the weekend :D

I'd pick it up but I've got Monkey Island 3-4 and the telltale games yet to play as well as Thimbleweed Park before I can get around to it. Just so much stuff to play currently!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,933 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

If it’s any consolation, my Mrs hasn’t played one since Gilbert’s involvement ended and she’s been able to plug straight in to Return no hassle.

Thimbleweed was a great one, would recommend getting on that though.

I know there are folk here who play the thing, but hoo-boy: Star Citizen has officially raised half-a-billion dollars from funding and donations. That's ... quite something. Can't honestly say how that makes me feel.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Its actually a direct sequel to Monkey Island 2 so you can play it before the others. Its effectively the new Monkey Island 3 but all the previous games are still canon.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I suck at Doom Eternal. Went back it a while ago after finishing Rage 2 yesterday. And I keep getting my ass handed to me. I even forgot all the buttons but eventually figured it out but I'm still no good at the game. I don't even know what part I am in but I didn't find it difficult up to this point apart from running low on bullets but I have since found out you use the chainsaw for that as one bar of chainsaw reloads in Eternal so you will always have a chainsaw to get ammo.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Hey Retro, is Chapter 14 of Fire Emblem: The Binding Blade giving you a pain?

So some one did a big video on what happened to everyone at Sony Japan studios after Sony closed them down. Seems a lot of the bigger names started their own studios and Nintendo and Monolith software hoovered all the talent up.

That's a pretty major influx of talent Nintendo just got from Sony.

While development has gotten a lot longer and more complex I found last gen consoles some of the least interesting consoles of all time and I'm still waiting on a reason to go next gen.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,161 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I'd like to say it's a lack of interest in the PS5 that has stopped me getting one but living from pay cheque to pay cheque is the real reason.

HZD:FW and GoW2 are the only 2 games I really want to play though. Not much else is tempting me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

That's cause they are custom locked down PCs now. If you already have a powerful open PC then you won't see much of a difference.

The Switch and Steam Deck are more innovative consoles.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I've a 6900 XT that is barely used for gaming since I got it. I use my Xbox Series X for all my gaming.

I'll probably pick up the newest AMD card in the future again and also do no gaming on it. I have a serious problem.

• Advertisement

Thats pretty much it. It's not that any of them are bad, it that there's so little to differentiate between a PC, Xbox or playstation. They're all kind of homogeneous and only the switch really stands out and even at that less so than previous nintendo consoles. They all just kind of provide the same experience.

In a way it's not a bad thing as you can be perfectly happy not missing out on a whole lot with one. PC seems to have the best of both the Xbox and Sony libraries, just a pity the price of entry is stupidly high compared to previously.

Advertisement