Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,269 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

• Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

I never played a Dark Souls game. Does that make me soul-less?

• Administrators Posts: 53,736 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Yea it was good but I really didn't enjoy the start, so I'd never replay it.

By modern standards the combat and movement is awful, very clunky.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,269 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

In all seriousness I'd go for GoW. I just don't get the borderlands 'humour' and it could be a gateway drug for Souls.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,910 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

• Advertisement

One thing it shows is you are not a sadomasachist.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,596 ✭✭✭✭Penn

GoW Ragnarok all the way. I'm presuming you've played the previous game.

TFTBL2, I'm hoping will be good, but given how the BL games in general have gone in recent years, I'm not holding out much hope.

At best, TFTBL2 might be good, whereas GoW Ragnarok will almost certainly be a Game Of The Year contender. It's not even a debate.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Started The Witcher 3, but it felt a bit forced to me with the dialogue and tutorials. Skyrim ( and others that shall not be named ) flowed a lot better.

Anyway will try again after next gen version drops. 60 FPS or bust. Or even better, 60 FPS busts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

The Witcher 3 I found pretty tedious at the beginning and was about to give up on it completely until someone on here said it out until the of the Baron quest. Glad I did, absolutely loved it in the end and went straight into the two dlc after finishing the main game and lived them too.

I'm remembering it fondly while I slog through Ghost of Tsushima, which is about as much fun as my balls were after I got the snip.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Greyfox

I found the combat ok and the story, side quests and main characters excellent, Geralt was a great protagonist. You do pick up a lot of useless crap on your journey and the menu system is a bit fiddly.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,736 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Really? I loved Ghost of Tsushima. The combat was excellent and it wasn't padded with Assassin's Creed-esque fluff.

It was probably me who told you to slog it out until the end of the Baron quest. 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 17,551 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Love how a low post count bot trying to get people to play a Wordle clone sparked yet another discussion about TW3's slow start

Next week it will be weapon degradation.

CD Projeckt should come out with a spin-off game where you have an inventory full of common items and have to sell or dismantle everything without accidentally selling or dismantling the one sword/gun that you actually want to keep.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

Your choice is play the much anticipated sequel to one of the best action adventure games of the last decade or to willingly give money to Randy Pitchford.

That should be a fairly easy one.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

I'm playing GTA Vice City (PS4) at the moment.

Cracking tunes on V Rock like Judas Priest: You've Got Another Thing Comin'.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Huh. Never did that before: anyone else get to the Final Boss, get immediately a bit brassed off at the difficultly hike and just Nope'd out of the game (maybe looking up the ending on YouTube?)

Got to the end of the otherwise super-fun Haiku the Robot, and the last boss is a bit of a PITA, so TBH I reckoned I got enough enjoyment out of the other 99.9% of the game to just not bother. Vindicated later when I realised it was pulling a little bit of that "True Ending" bullshít - not not the worst offender of that.

I'm too stubborn to let a boss beat me like that. I'd probably go to a faq or look up a video of the boss fight to figure it out.

Only really ever came close to in in Ninja Gaiden on the NES but that was more down to the 'it's not a bug, it's a feature' of dumping you back 4 stages if you died even once to the multistage final boss.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭McFly85

Something similar happened to me with Final Fantasy 8 way back when it first came out. Kind of breezed through the main story without any major difficulty until I got to Ultimecia, who was so far and above more difficult than any other boss until that point I decided to leave it - I had no guide or anything so hadn’t a clue where to begin to improve.

I played it again recently and originally I don’t think I really got on well with the junction system and felt far better prepared - also I don’t recall ever knowing that at a certain point you should just ditch GFs for Limit Breaks as they’re absurdly more powerful! Anyway might have taken 20 years but got there in the end!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Normally I would be too, but just something about the boss was like meh, I don't have the free-time or patience anymore for that kind of difficulty spike. And not for an ending I just knew in my water would be something a little underwhelming.

• Advertisement

That happened to me too. Summons are the most powerful spells in all FF games and they fact you get them at the start of the game means you end up abusing them over and over. The UI system is a complete mess as well. I'd totally forgotten about the GF skill menu which is one of the most important in the game. I wasn't drawing spells that often or junctioning and just steamrolling with GFs.

It was sorceress Adel where I got stuck. I couldn't use GFs because they attacked all enemies which included Rinoa who you were supposed to keep alive. I managed to eventually do it by abusing limit breaks but it was touch and go if I could progress.

Still didn't understand the junction system when I got to Ultimecia and she was way harder than anything else. I eventually managed it but it was by really abusing the game. Using triple to multicast shell and protect to keep people alive and then triple casting the best spells like meteor just to get a few multiples of 100 HP damage. The boss fight took over an hour but it was so satisfying to beat it considering I managed it with pure well planned strategy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,933 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Nothing makes me want to crawl deeper into my Dragon Quest hole than seeing people discuss the nuances of FF combat.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭McFly85

It has absolutely become my favourite FF boss fight due to all the planning it took. I think all of the other ones I’ve played the final boss fights are pedestrian in comparison.

I never played FF8 or FF9 back in the day. When they released the FF9 remaster in 2019 I gave it a go and absolutely loved it, could see why so many people loved it more than FF7, I probably would myself if I had played it back then. Then I played the FF8 remaster when it released later that year and could see why so many people hated it. I got about 10 hours in before giving up, the junction system was just awful, I can't imagine wtf they were thinking with that one.

Funny thing is the game is an absolute cake walk once you understand the junction system. I never used GFs on my second playthrough and was just destroying everything with regular attacks.

The weird thing about FF8 is it can be one of the worst in the series but also one of the very best.

If you don't understand the junctioning system you end up using summons all the time which take forever to load and then finish up and by the time you get to disc four and the game starts to challenge you, you are completely boned as the game expects you to understand how it works.

If you understand how the junctioning system works however it's this gloriously open system that is ripe for exploitation and opening wide open. It gives you so much freedom to break the game. You can refine early crappy magic into level three magic and attach that to stats that overlevel you. Focus on abilities that gibe you +1 stat on level up and make you character a beast. Get squalls best weapon and limit break before the end of disc 1. Junction spells and effects to you armour and sword so you are doing status effects with 100% reliability and enemies heal you when they attack.

Its just so much fun to absolutely break the game over your knee and it's designed to let you run wild. It's worth looking up how the systems work and giving it another chance.

Basically if you are summoning a GF you are playing the game wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,126 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Have gone overboard on games purchases in the past month by and large Switch games this weekend I will have Nier Automata No Man's Sky Persona 5 Royal and Mario Rabbids to choose from.

Due to health issues with my eyes I have not played any of the first three on previous platforms as when they came out I was blind I have been told to drop everything and jump straight into Persona as it is unlike anything else I have ever played.

I will qualify what I am about to say by mentioning it has been 3 years since I tried it and I only got as far as a section where the characters were split up and put into some kind of jail after trying to assassinate someone IIRC.

I actually do think I had the guts of understanding the junction system at the time, I just really didn't like it. I can't remember the specific details but in the section I mentioned above when the characters were separated it became clear to me I wasn't really levelling or developing them, but just the items I was assigning to them. The rest of the game wasn't grabbing me either; the story, world and characters just weren't doing anything for me. The music was fantastic as always though, can't fault that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Cotts72

Is there a plague tale requiem thread? Can't find any in the search

So I'm tempted by Tunic, but understand it's deceptively difficult. But: how difficult are we talking about? Is it pure Souls level or just generally tougher than it looks? Or indeed, is there an Easy Mode?

Really like the look of the thing and how it seems to play but not stoked about it being a teeth grinder. I'm too lightweight 😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,566 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

It has an easy mode, you can choose to not lose stamina or also not to lose health. It's a great accessibility option. I played it on gamepass a while and when I came up against an enemy or boss I couldn't get last I'd then health off and then back on again after I beat them

Advertisement