Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,267 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Funny to seen the Bethesda games getting smaller.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Ha, I was wondering where Daggerfall might rank and insane it hasn't really been topped.

Of course with size comes questions of how worthwhile any of those maps were to explore; whether there were good or interesting quests, how much is just collectathons or dead space. I'm thinking of Mafia and its huge city that had nothing to do in it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,267 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Surprised how big breath of the wild is. Felt smaller and more condensed but I suppose there was just so much more worthwhile content in there unlike most ubiaoft style monogames.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Lately I keep getting video clips of Red Dead Redemption 2 on Facebook and it has me reminiscing about how good it was. I'm nearly thinking of playing the game again. Yes going to Guarma was not the most interesting thing to do but apart from that it had great missions and content.

Riding around the map isn't as bad as people make out the same way you drive across maps in the likes of GTA. It is also better if you take your time and soak in the atmosphere. Them short clips I seen on Facebook showed all hidden missions that weren't marked missions like finding a note on a dead body and following clues to hidden loot.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Sable is today's free game on Epic. I really enjoyed its more freeform, relaxed take on an open world, and how it took the right lessons from BotW in terms of vertical navigation. While it won't appeal to everyone, it's well worth downloading to at least see its pretty amazing art style in action.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,922 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

I'll be back there when they release a 60 FPS version. It's a relaxing game, but makes me nauseous on my OLED TV. Also, they need to fix the HDR. I've also the first game to play. Maybe I'll just play em on an led monitor.

Edit ... I played main game of RDR2 on led monitor and was fine, but I want to next play though to be full fat 4k 60 FPS. 🙂

Smyths have some decent discounts on physical games close to Christmas if anybody is still looking and free home delivery too. Just make sure you set up an account for free delivery.

Elden ring is 42 quid, Uncharted 4 double game bundle ps5 is 18 quid ...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

So what games are ye looking forward to playing over Christmas?

I will put on my PSVR headset and play the excellent Blood & Truth. I might give Box VR a go too.

I didn't play Dirt Rally 2.0 in a good while, so it will be good to get back at that again.

I'll be getting back into Trails from Zero. Got sidetracked with FF7: Remake when I really should have been playing Zero instead as it's such a better game. Doubt I'll have it finished by the end of the break when I've so much on. Also playing SMT4 Apocalypse on the 3DS which is excellent.

• Advertisement

Finish Spiderman remastered main game on PS5. And New Super Mario Bros on 3DS. That's it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Well I started this game this evening. It was just over 4 years ago when my earliest save I have was. I got as far as the first camp ground when you leave the snow. It looks amazing and as if it was a current gen game, though it didn't get optimised for loading not that there is much loading once in the game but when you first fire her up there is a bit of a load to wait for.

I'm not sure what FPS it's at but as I have said before I do not notice FPS and even played games on PC with a 6900XT on a high refresh display.

Yep, it's a beautiful game..still look better than most current/next gen. You'll get better frame rates on an expensive PC setup, but 30 max on consoles at the moment.

It's good fun just sitting on the tram as it goes around St. Denis.

... Annoying people and jumping off before it stops 🙂

Kind of like the Luas 🤣🤣🤣

Post edited by SuperBowserWorld on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭brady12

I'm after buying red dead 2 and installing it on steam deck and my pc... Id love to play it again i put in god only knows how many hours on ps4 at release . My back log so big i feel guilty replaying a game 😅

I'm on a mission to complete the MW2 battle pass. I had a lot of catching up to do and it's been one hell of a grind. I'm now at the point where I need to get 1 token a day to finish it on time.

I don't like how they use tokens for the battle pass and do not link it to your progression level. It means double XP and daily challenges do not count for the BP. It also males it one hell of a slog.

I'm level 158 and only 60% complete on the BP. On the old level based progression you complete the BP on level 100. So I would have been long finished. I'll not be doing the BP again, but I do have it in my head that I want to complete it.

If I have time I want to try out High on Life. I have not watched any videos or read any reviews. I'll cloud stream it first, judge it myself and then decide if I want to download it and play it in earnest.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,845 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

High on life is worth a cloud stream. It is very funny (if you like his humour). Only bit that lets it down is the shooting. Reminds me a lot of Halo.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,454 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Oh yes, that's the new Squanchtendo one!

That does look interesting alright. Might play it over Xmas :)

Only watched a few videos but it looks super annoying. The humour is awful but then again lots of people think borderlands is funny.

If you don't like Rick and Morty then you won't like this. It's pretty much the same humour on steroids.

I do like that humour so I enjoy it. The volume of jokes is pretty insane. Even random NPC's are hilarious.

The issue for me is the gun play is not very enjoyable. You know in Halo when you just get batches of enemies spawning. And there is an annoying small guy, annoying middle sized guy, and annoying fast guy. And you spend most of the time dodging incoming shots as you reload because your gun doesn't hold enough ammo. It's like that.

I'm playing it in small batches as I've nothing else on the go at the moment.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Borderlands had jokes though, even the occasional gag: Justin Roiland's schtick is this weird semi-improvised ... I dunno, waffle; while a reminder that humour is both generational and utterly subjective.

Watched the first season of Rick & Morty and just found it annoying, cynical and its nihilistic philosophy grating too.

• Advertisement

What IS interesting about High on Life, from my point of view, is the game apparently used AI Art and voice acting. That's an interesting watershed, and then some. As with all things, the law is beginning to lag behind this broader issue and it's a hugely hot topic in the world of art and design, where copyright is a brittle concept at the best of times, without your work being swallowed by an AI tool.

With regards the gaming industry, it might be one way studios "solve" the issue of crunch and paying those pesky humans if they can automate a degree of the assets via AI.

Big corporations finding ways to not pay employees?

That will never happen.

There is a weird AI art thing I see people posting on Facebook. But if you read the T&C's. Anyone that does this gives the AI company permission to use their likeness forever.

It reminds me of when people gave away all their privacy data not realising it's incredibly valuable. Now they are giving away their face.

Which is another example of corporations breaking the law because they just don't give a **** and will only change once challenged with massive fines. There's so way they can do that without a signed likeness use release form and a T&C agreement is insufficient.

A big issue with AI generated art is that the AI will build the art based on images fed into it. It's basically using little pieces of other artists work. Realistically the creator should be paying the copyright holders of all the art the AI uses but it's hard to prove what images were used to train the AI because of the complexity of the image.

It's a one two **** you to artists, not only are they in danger of being replaced but they are also in danger of being replaced by an algorithm that has stolen their work.

Isn't this where government is supposed to step in to protect its citizens ... sorry no ... big tech said "computer says no".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭Cordell

It's just the next step in derivative work. Like writer who write books inspired by existing books, films who borrow, mix and match ideas from other films, and games who clone existing games and so on. Not enough of the original art is included to warrant a copyright claim, and this is how the world moves on anyway, nothing is really new but just additions and improvements of the existing work.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

There's a world of difference between a human being applying their creativity to expand, reimagine and further develop existing ideas and an AI algorithm spitting out a soulless simulacrum of 'art'. And yes, humans can cynically spit out artless cloned work too, but human creativity ensures there's always a good chance for something new and unique to be created. AI-generated art will not 'improve' anything or express any genuinely original ideas. It will also be cynically used to further deny artists the opportunity to earn a fair living from their work.

The big problem will be when we can't tell these comments from AI generated ones.

Apart from those related to Ace Combat 7 being good.

They are AI generated obviously. 🤣🤣🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭Cordell

soulless simulacrum of 'art'

Subjective opinion. Does it really matter for us if the artist have 'soul' or if it only have algorithms? In any case, I welcome that eventual AI that can be asked to create Half Life 3.

AI-generated art will not 'improve' anything or express any genuinely original ideas

How can you be so sure? What is a "genuinely original idea", how can you define it? As something never done before? AI can do that.

• Advertisement

Does AI actual create art or does it just lookup a database of art and create a mish mash based of metadata tags?

Advertisement