Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,807 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Started a thread here. Not a patch on Mr E's incredible work over the years but a talking point anyway on why everyone thought Elden Ring was game of the year :)

Instead of Retail vs download only, i have Indie/download only as more Indies are making it to retail shops but then get lost in the AAA noise for those categories.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058277774/2022-boards-goty-awards/p1?new=1

• Registered Users Posts: 7,878 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Zero mentioned our dwindling numbers, which is something we're all aware of I'm sure. But being the start of a new year, now is a good time to bring this up... Isn't it time to consolidate some of the various sub forums? I'm thinking of the Gaming Platforms sub forums in particular. There's no longer any benefit in diluting discussion across multiple areas - and I say this as someone who begged for a specific PC Gaming forum back in the day. But it's dead now, more or less - a couple of posts a day if we're lucky. Bring all boards' gamers together under one roof as it were.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,409 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Funny enough the platform forums (and Arcade & Retro) would be last on my merge list - and I wasn’t always in favour of them 😅. While they’re quieter than before, I think the various platform specific forums serve their purpose and have their own audience who probably wouldn’t be quite as interested or active in a one-size-fits-all forum. I think they’re ticking along fine for now.

I definitely think there’s space to close down most of the individual game / series forums though at this stage, as most of those are barely active. And the VR one probably could be handled by the other forums too given the limited traffic there.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,308 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I think the awards have got to baggy, same comment re. Film too as I know what's your territory; IMO given Boards is a bit smaller than fadó we should tighten up the awards into something streamlined - maybe even fun!

Like some kind of versus match-ups for engaging people on Beat Of chat.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,321 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

The GOTY awards on boards has always been a movable feast, last year it was near the end of January. Guess it depends on when Mr E has time, which is very understandable considering the amount of work involved.

As an aside, I read Retrogamers mention of "Alternative goty" as "Alternative gory", and was throughly confused, it didn't seem like the kind of game that'd be classed as gory at all. 🙄

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,878 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

I mean, the PS5 2.0 thread is the only one in the PlayStation forum that's had any posts in five days. Five days! Recent history in XB and Nintendo sub forums is a little better, but not by much. If this is just a lull because of the holidays then grand - nothing to worry about! If not.....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,716 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Anyone got a recomendation for a good wireless gaming pad for the PC? Just for retro gaming. Dont want to have to pair/repair an Xbox one pad. Have a few 360 pads lying around but no dongles

Yeah, looking at my thread, it's too 'listy'. Alternative game of the year? Dysmantle. That indie has NO right to be as good as it is, incredible!

As for the gaming forums. PlayStation has 3 important ones, PS5, PS Plus and PS bargains. I think they'd get lost in general gaming. As for the forums like Fifa and Cod/battlefield, i think they could easily merge into general gaming with a thread for each yearly game.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,265 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

8bitdo do the best in whatever style you want. Not managed to get them working wirelessly on pc, their wireless dongles are for their respective consoles.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,321 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

The Series S/X generation controllers allow you to pair multiple devices, switching between them with the press of a button.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,931 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

If we're pretending Boards is still in the business of attracting new users (and I know the Vanilla makeover would convince you otherwise), then I can't really begin to talk about how bad it looks to have a bunch of dead subforums be the first thing you see when you log into General Games — it makes the place looks even deader than it might already be.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

It's the same all across boards.ie sure someone was saying there are no longer a need for all the sub forums in the motors section on here as there are very few posts like here in the gaming section. Back in the day I remember both here and motors section of all the posts saying we need sub forums as there is so much posts and stuff gets lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,916 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Yup, it's a bit out of date ...

"Nintendo

Gaming consoles from Nintendo, including the Wii."

Need to change that to Wii U. 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 7,845 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

It's amazing that boards took such a hit and it hasn't been rolled back to it's functional state. It's a battle to use it these days. I've to dig pages deep to find threads I'm posting in and it keeps showing me stuff I've never looked at.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Manning3000

Great little app the GG App for tracking games your playing want to etc, like a good reads app.

https://ggapp.io/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,931 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Sure we've all been around the block with UI changes on various platforms and the general grumbling that follows them until everyone invariably gets used to it, but it's been 18 months and this nu-Boards still feels counter-intuitive, half dead and plastered together. I've yet to come across one person that goes 'yes, this is easier to use.'

The redesign is such a weird hill to die on when Boards was already fighting for relevancy in a post-social media/post-Reddit world pre-update. The relaunch feels like active self-sabotage at this rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,916 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

What's the alternative to boards for Irish related anonymous discussions/ knowledge base ?

Reddit Ireland is one general Ireland thread ..

Wondering ?

I hate reddit and always did but they also messed up when they changed from the old website but they still have the numbers.

They also still have the unbearable gowls that ruin it, like most other platforms. I find that Boards Gaming is the only place where you can have a reasonable discussion about games whatever your stance is. Nice, toxic free-ish environment which is a rarity online these days.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,265 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

There was always a push back against the formation of the console specific sub forums by the regulars but the admins went ahead and made them anyway when they were trying to make out boards.ie was bigger than it really was when it was at it's height in popularity. Managed to dilute the discussion and probably halved the population of the forum within a year. Only gotten worse since. The game specific forums are always kind of temporary and transitory and really should be rolled up once they die, we had a big cull of these forums a few years ago.

• Advertisement

I was in my early 20's when I joined boards, but the newer generation and even that age group for a long time don't seem to be interested in joining for some reason. Facebook seems to be doing good not for what it was originally meant for as in liking friends pictures and such now people live for the comment section of stuff that Facebook shows you.

Don't know how to explain this one but played about 2 hours of Sonic Frontiers and not only is it not **** but I'm really enjoying it.

Soundtrack is an absolute bop as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I'm also here long enough to see the decline from what it was, but I also feel forums like this will make a comeback eventually. People, imo, are getting sick of social media, and while forums aren't exactly a paradise away from them, I think people will come to prefer them. Better discussion, rather than opinions only.

And in that vein, I'm in a lull at the moment. Nothing is taking my interest. I have money, PS+, GPU and nothing is making me take a chance on it. Went through the same after 2018 God of War.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭brady12

I actually meant to say something along these lines a few weeks .

Fair play to everyone for respecting each other on these gaming forums . Hasn't been one issue since phantom pain went . Boards gaming forums are literally the only place on forums I frequent where there is literally 0 toxicity . So fair play to ye all !

Newer generation aren't interested in balanced debate. They prefer an echo chamber where everyone has the same opinion. Reddit is full of sub-reddits where they group people with the same opinions. All patting each other on the backs with the upvote and karma system and down voting anyone who dares to have a different opinion.

On the subject of the new (not so new anymore) boards. I can't post on Edge on Android anymore. It started about a week ago, anyone else have this problem? I can't see myself sticking on here if I cann't post on my mobile. It's things like this that lose numbers.

For those on xbox, I have a "Backlog" group pinned to the dash. You can also tag games as "play later" in the game pass app. But for me this just creates "gotta play them all before they leave" anxiety whenever I look at it so I tend not to use it :-D

Find yourself a nice little indie game to tide you over.

I'm back to Pentiment, having abandoned it intially once I realised it was very religious. Now I'm ove rit, whatever, just enjoying a relaxing murder mystery. Although yesterday I had to go to confession and say 2 hail Mary's and 2 Our Fathers (in the game, not real life :-D). It was very bizarre. I had to actually select "Hail Mary" in the dailogue, click to say it and click to get out and go back in and do them both twice.

Up until then I was doing well at convincing myself its just an historically accurate story and that's just how it was in the 13th century. But then this didn't make me feel good at all, I was having flash backs of my childhood being brainwashed and forced to do sh!t like this.

I was having flash backs of my childhood being brainwashed and forced to do sh!t like this.

I used to enjoy all that when I was child. The teacher telling all the stories and then walking to the church(the church was near enough the school) while we practice different songs and confession all that stuff.

I'm not into it now or anything as I haven't gone to mass in many, many years but as I said I enjoyed all that stuff you learnt going to a Catholic school in the 80's and 90's.(they are the years I was in school) Just thought I'd mention the years as I have no kids or do I talk to any so I do not know what it's like for kids in school now a days.

As said play a short breezy indie, action or retrogame. Modern long form games burn me out something fierce that I have to take a long break from them. Last year I got through 72 games because I ignored most big releases and ended up actually enjoying videogames again.

• Advertisement
Advertisement